Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Ex Bears GM rips Cutler

Jerry Angelo used to be the general manager of the Chicago Bears, but he's not anymore because the team fired him after the 2011 season. One of the biggest trades of Angelo's tenure came in 2009 when he sent Kyle Orton, two first-round picks and a third-round pick to Denver for Jay Cutler.

So now that he's not an employee of the Bears, what does Angelo think of Cutler? Well, he didn't think much of the quarterback's 2013 season. Angelo rated every NFL starter's 2013 season for Thesidelineview.com and he didn't have many positive things to say about Cutler's year.

Has all the physical tools, but inconsistent in the clutch. Mostly due to a lack of poise. He's not comfortable reading defenses and consequently locks onto a favorite or pre-determined target, that may or may not be the right choice. The less he's asked to see the better he is. A better half field general, than a full field one.

Angelo rated Cutler as the 15th best quarterback in the league in 2013. The former general manager had Cutler ranked behind Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Alex Smith Nick Foles and Ben Roethlisberger, among others. Angelo's top-rated quarterbacks were Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

Bears backup quarterback Josh McCown scored lower than Cutler, but Angelo didn't have too many negative things to say about him.

Had the best year of any back-up at his position. He played consistently and without having his coaches compromising the play book to get it done. He was well schooled and efficient moving the team.

Cutler's final grade for 2013 was 7.7, which put him well behind Manning's 8.9, but slightly ahead of Matthew Stafford (7.6), Andy Dalton (7.4) and Carson Palmer (7.3).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ading-defenses
    Nothing most of us didn't already know, but Angelo is clearly still salty about something.
  • Tailback U
    No substitute 4 strength.
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
    Nothing most of us didn't already know, but Angelo is clearly still salty about something.
    How so? Sounds like he made a pretty fair assessment and ranked him right where he should have been.

Comment

• Glenbino
      Jelly and Ice Cream
      • Nov 2009

Denver won that trade in a landslide, Josh McDaniels just bombed the landing.

Cutler hasn't progressed since being prematurely named the starter in 2006.

He's been hindered in large part by his own arrogance IMO.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Tailback U
        How so? Sounds like he made a pretty fair assessment and ranked him right where he should have been.
        I'm not disagreeing with the assessment at all. Doesn't make sense for Angelo to come out and say more negatives about Cutler than for McCown, when McCown is rated lower.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
          • Feb 2009

Dang all the 7.9s got smacked around.
          Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Tailback U
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
            I'm not disagreeing with the assessment at all. Doesn't make sense for Angelo to come out and say more negatives about Cutler than for McCown, when McCown is rated lower.
            I think it has to do with expectations. McCown exceeded expectations as a back-up, Cutler didn't live up to them as a starter. It's about perspective.

Comment

• 1ke
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
              • Mar 2009

Jay had his best season this season, not statistically, but in terms of playing, leadership, stopping the dumb shit. To say he has not progressed is just wrong.

Jerry can say whatever he likes. That's not my issue. My issue is him saying he doesn't perform well under pressure. This season, Jay has been on the the best QBs in the league when it comes to the 4th quarter. So he is quite wrong in his assessment there.

Comment

• Tailback U
                • Nov 2008

Cutler was average. His receivers made him look much better than he actually played, but I guess you can't discredit him for that.

Either way, The bears D was the problem this year.

Comment

Working...