Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Goal post dunk to be penalized by NFL in 2014

Not only is the New Orleans Saints' Jimmy Graham redefining the tight end position, but he has also inspired an NFL rule change. According to the league's vice president of officiating, players will no longer be allowed to dunk the ball over the goalpost after touchdowns.

It is remarkable how the NFL keeps allowing the "No Fun League" critique to ring true time and time again, writes Mike Triplett. Story

SportsNation: Banning goalpost dunks?
    Dean Blandino confirmed the rule change during a radio interview with "The Dan Patrick Show" on Tuesday. He said dunking the ball over the crossbar will now be considered a foul along with other touchdown celebrations that involve props.

Previously, dunks were grandfathered in as a legal celebration, along with the Lambeau Leap.

"We grandfathered in some, the Lambeau Leap and things like that, but dunking will come out," Blandino said, according to NFL.com. "Using the ball as a prop or any object as a prop, whether that's the goalpost, the crossbar, that will come out and that will be a foul next season."

Graham is clearly the main inspiration for the rule. Twice in his career, his celebratory dunks have knocked the uprights off balance. Last season in Atlanta, a Thursday night game had to be delayed while workers releveled the crossbar.

And no player in the NFL will be more affected by the rule change than Graham, who has caught more touchdown passes over the past three seasons (36) than anyone else in the league. A former basketball player at the University of Miami, the 6-foot-7 Graham has made the goalpost dunk his trademark celebration.

Graham responded to the news in a tweet Tuesday afternoon, saying: "I guess I'll have to lead the @nfl in penalties next year!" along with a photo-shopped picture of a referee jumping to block his attempt to dunk a ball over the crossbar. He later deleted the tweet.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...nk-next-season
    Guess it will also be removed from Madden then
  • NAHSTE
    Probably owns the site
    • Feb 2009

Tony G does it for years and it's no problem. Shame that Graham is such a jackass and has to ruin it for everyone else.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
      True Blue
      • Feb 2009

fuckin jimmy

Comment

• Woy
        RIP West
        • Dec 2008

No Fun League.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• PP
          • Feb 2010

They are extending the posts by 5 feet. I am guessing it will make it even more of a hazard where if it came falling down. I don't mind this one.

Comment

• buckeye
            Noob
            • Dec 2013

Stupid.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
              • Feb 2009

NFL..spending millions on office upgrades for its execs...doesnt wanna spend 89$ for some thicker bolts to secure goal posts.
              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• ralaw
                Posts too much
                • Feb 2009

I really wish players would boycott all of these lame rules by simply not celebrating after anything. Make the play and run off the field or lineup for the next play as if nothing happened. Ignore celebrating fans. Show no emotion and see how fun that is. I believe Aldon Smith did this a few years ago.

Comment

• j.hen
                  Self Care
                  • Oct 2008

Jimmy Graham you piece of shit.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
                    I really wish players would boycott all of these lame rules by simply not celebrating after anything. Make the play and run off the field or lineup for the next play as if nothing happened. Ignore celebrating fans. Show no emotion and see how fun that is. I believe Aldon Smith did this a few years ago.
                    Id love to see a concerted effort to break every single rule including uniform ones. Refs throw 256 flags by half time.
                    Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• JeremyHight
                      I wish I was Scrubs
                      • Feb 2009

Graham forced this rule to happen. I hate the no team celebration rules, those are fun for players and fans. But this rule had to happen after Graham caused delays and shit with his stupidity.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by JeremyHight
                        Graham forced this rule to happen. I hate the no team celebration rules, those are fun for players and fans. But this rule had to happen after Graham caused delays and shit with his stupidity.
                        Yes, it was grandfathered in with the rule changes on excessive celebrations years ago. It was because Graham caused the stoppage in play by physically moving the goal posts and potentially causing risk to people in the stands that they banned it.

Comment

• Villain
                          [REDACTED]
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by ralaw
                          [REDACTED]

Comment

• cmnelson87
                            Noob
                            • Mar 2014

I disagreed with a number of recent rule changes, but this one had to happen. As has been stated, too much risk involved, especially with the increased height of the uprights. Having these tip over into the crowd would draw a lot more criticism than making this rule (probably from many of the same people currently criticizing the rule). And the NFL makes more money from TV than it does from people actually going to the game, so you want to avoid delays that lead the casual fan to turn the channel.

Comment

Working...