Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Re-grading the 2011 Draft

Click the link to go to the actual grades- it is a fairly long article that is formatted so it's difficult to post here. What did your team get then and now, and do you agree?

There is nothing more humbling than looking back at draft grades from three years ago, grades given out the day after that draft was concluded.

Bottom line: We think we know, but we really don't.

Then again, neither do the teams. They miss too. When they miss, it's crippling. When I miss, it's humbling.

Big difference.

We do draft grades the weekend of the draft for immediacy. Fans, despite what they say, crave them -- as do my bosses. So I do them. The teams always hate them, and I get it.

That's why I come back three years later to re-grade the draft. It's the only fair way to grade a draft. Three years is a long enough period to let all the opinions marinate. How did the teams do? How did I do?

The 2011 NFL Draft included several big quarterback misses and big yields by teams you wouldn't have expected.

I had my share of misses (click for the 2011 full grades) -- Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder -- but there were a lot of hits, too.

So dive in, take a look, and see how the grades have changed as I sink down in my chair and try to hide my face for my immediate grades -- much like some of the general managers who were fired for what they did in 2011.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...an-ponder-an-a
  • JeremyHight
    I wish I was Scrubs
    • Feb 2009

I'd say it takes 5 years to accurately grade a draft. Grading it at the time is just to appease impatient fans and give Mel Kiper and Todd McShay a job. Grading it 2 years later is done to try and make old analysts seem dumb, but again, it is far too early to tell. 5 years gives you a much better idea.

Comment

Working...