Let the clock run out on the first pick?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calgaryballer
    Tiote!
    • Mar 2009

Let the clock run out on the first pick?

Thoughts?

I can't imagine the commissioner being very pleased with this scenario, and I'd like a more in depth look at the ramifications due a team if they tried it
  • Saluki
    Ball So Hard
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by calgaryballer
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html

Thoughts?

I can't imagine the commissioner being very pleased with this scenario, and I'd like a more in depth look at the ramifications due a team if they tried it
    The ramifications would be they lose their pick. Really all they would do is save money by not making a pick, but they need the player too much to just let the clock run out, and it's not like Detroit doesn't have the cap to sign a #1 pick.

Comment

• Primetime
      Thank You Prince
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Saluki
      The ramifications would be they lose their pick. Really all they would do is save money by not making a pick, but they need the player too much to just let the clock run out, and it's not like Detroit doesn't have the cap to sign a #1 pick.
      If they don't pick, the next team just gets to pick before them. They don't lose their pick. They'll just take a guy like Curry or Stafford with the 3rd pick so they don't spend as much money.

Comment

• DSpydr84
        I need a sub
        • Oct 2008

You don't lose the pick, you just give the team behind you an opportunity to draft players.

I think if it saves you money, it's not a bad idea. It sure would make for an interesting scenario.

Comment

• Tailback U
          No substitute 4 strength.
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Raider21Magic12
          The agent of the player who was supposed to be the #1 pick would never go for this BS. His client would still demand #1 money or a huge holdout will happen. Top that off with a huge media fallout and having your team openly ridiculed (more) and labeled cheap as fuck.
          "Supposed to be the number #1 pick"?

There's no such thing as a guy who was "supposed to be the number 1 pick".

Comment

• Aso
            The Serious House
            • Nov 2008

lol at people thinking that you lose your pick. Read the article and not just the title.

There's precedent. In 2003, the Minnesota Vikings were in trade talks with the Ravens when their time to make the No. 7-overall pick ran out. Jacksonville and Carolina, the two teams supposed to pick immediately after the Vikings, hurriedly got their selections into the commissioner's hands before the Vikings could ultimately take defensive tackle Kevin Williams in the nine spot. Though that move has, in hindsight, turned out very well for the Vikings, they took a big public relations hit when it happened. The Lions would likewise face an avalanche of criticism, but could take comfort in knowing they had a good reason for the move.
            Last edited by Aso; 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
              • Feb 2009

Detroit would never live that down. Imagine if the guy taken no.1 is Aikman/Barry/Deion and they let it go to pick Mandarich.

Dont want that on your shoulders.
              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• steeljake
                6 rings...
                • Oct 2008

well, the lions could do this, it is not like anyone would be shocked that they fucked up another draft.
                Last edited by steeljake; 04-02-2009, 11:31 AM.

23:33 OnlyOneBeerLeft: jake nobody listens to you aint you supposed to die from cancer or somethin soon?

Comment

• NAHSTE
                  Probably owns the site
                  • Feb 2009

The Vikings passed again the next year too if I remember correctly? If not, they came close I want to say.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                    Let's Go All The Way...
                    • Nov 2008

The agent of the player who was supposed to be the #1 pick would never go for this BS. His client would still demand #1 money or a huge holdout will happen. Top that off with a huge media fallout and having your team openly ridiculed (more) and labeled cheap as fuck.
                    At this point the Lions should just say "Fuck You" to the media and everyone else for the time being.

They are openly ridiculed on a daily basis and it will never stop until they get that Super Bowl title before we're all old men or the franchise moves to a different city.

As for being "Cheap as Fuck," with the economy being down and talk of Rookies taking a salary hit soon, any player in college should be so lucky as to actually having a team wanting them.

Comment

• Youk
                      Posts too much
                      • Feb 2009

Obviously still that player would be selected first, but by a different team. The Rams would then be considered to have the first pick in the draft.

Comment

• Bear Pand
                        RIP Indy Colts
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JayDizzle04
                        At this point the Lions should just say "Fuck You" to the media and everyone else for the time being.
                        They've been doing this for years...time for a new strat.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                          • Feb 2009

I would love for numerous teams to do it.

All these retarded agents and swollen head rookies need a nice smack in the face.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                            Tiote!
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                            I would love for numerous teams to do it.

All these retarded agents and swollen head rookies need a nice smack in the face.
                            Thing is though, eventually someone is going to make those picks. I don't know if 5 teams abstaining from making a pick would really have any effect on how much they get paid

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                              Guys are going to be paid regardless; it's just a matter of who. The snowball has been rolling down the hill and has grown into something big and out of control. The only thing that's going to stop it is a rookie wage scale.
                              Agreed , but it sends a message. It would almost force the league to adopt a sliding scale or risk further public relation nightmares like teams skipping there draft picks.

Comment

Working...