Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the Brain
    • Jan 2010

Here's what I'm pulling for.........

I always pull for chaos in NCAA football because I hate any system that can see a team go undefeated & still not have a chance @ being the champion.

So.......what if the SEC's Alabama teams win their next game vs the Mississippi teams? Then all four win their remaining games until the season ending rivalry games. That means each team going into the final game would have one loss and couldn't control their own destiny. They would need to win & the "correct" school in the other matchup to lose.

Now let's say in the above scenario, Bama & Miss St win. Bama goes to the SEC title game & loses to one loss Georgia. Georgia would of course go to the "Final 4", being SEC champ & only one loss. But would Miss St be a 2nd SEC team seeing they have only one loss as well? Or would Bama get in since they are SEC runner-up & beat Miss St? But they would have 2 losses same as Ole Miss who have a victory over Bama.

Switch the above anyway you want, you're going to have controversy.
  • Bear Pand
    RIP Indy Colts
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by the Brain
    I always pull for chaos in NCAA football because I hate any system that can see a team go undefeated & still not have a chance @ being the champion.

So.......what if the SEC's Alabama teams win their next game vs the Mississippi teams? Then all four win their remaining games until the season ending rivalry games. That means each team going into the final game would have one loss and couldn't control their own destiny. They would need to win & the "correct" school in the other matchup to lose.

Now let's say in the above scenario, Bama & Miss St win. Bama goes to the SEC title game & loses to one loss Georgia. Georgia would of course go to the "Final 4", being SEC champ & only one loss. But would Miss St be a 2nd SEC team seeing they have only one loss as well? Or would Bama get in since they are SEC runner-up & beat Miss St? But they would have 2 losses same as Ole Miss who have a victory over Bama.

Switch the above anyway you want, you're going to have controversy.
    You're pulling for controversy because you hate a system where teams can go undefeated and not have a chance at being champion.

This makes no sense at all. There's 4 undefeated teams, we will finish with 3 or less. If they all finish undefeated only Marshall will have a tough time and thats cause of their weak ass schedule.

The only two ways an undefeated team wouldn't have a shot are:
    If we have 5+ undefeated teams. Not happening this year, unlikely to happen in any year. Not sure this has ever happened in BCS era.
    Team is undefeated but plays weak schedule, which is understandable and the schools have (some) control over.

There probably will be a 1 or 2 loss team that feels like they got shafted out a playoff spot but oh well. 4 teams is a good number for a playoff system and don't see where the complaint coming from.
    Last edited by Bear Pand; 10-21-2014, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

You're also forgetting Notre Dame, and if they win out and have some convincing wins, they are right back in the discussion for a playoff spot. The SEC always beats up on themselves, and specifically for your scenario, Georgia still has to get through Auburn to have hopes for a playoff spot.

Either way, we have a more intriguing system than we had before, and I'll take it for now.

Comment

• the Brain
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bear Pand
        You're pulling for controversy because you hate a system where teams can go undefeated and not have a chance at being champion.

This makes no sense at all. There's 4 undefeated teams, we will finish with 3 or less. If they all finish undefeated only Marshall will have a tough time and thats cause of their weak ass schedule.

The only two ways an undefeated team wouldn't have a shot are:
        If we have 5+ undefeated teams. Not happening this year, unlikely to happen in any year. Not sure this has ever happened in BCS era.
        Team is undefeated but plays weak schedule, which is understandable and the schools have (some) control over.

There probably will be a 1 or 2 loss team that feels like they got shafted out a playoff spot but oh well. 4 teams is a good number for a playoff system and don't see where the complaint coming from.
        So if Marshall goes unbeaten, they are in?

Comment

Working...