Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Thoughts on the NFL Draft from your team's perspective

For the Redskins, I'm going to just sort it out by player.

1.) OT Brandon Scherff- love the pick if he stays at OT, but it's a definite reach if they plan to move Scherff to guard. We bypassed the best player in the draft in Leonard Williams for Scherff, so I hope they plan to keep him where he is most valuable. He's a nasty guy who wants to go out there and hit guys, and when asked what he knew about the Redskins, he said "Hogs." Clearly, this is a guy you want in your trenches.

2.) LB/DE Preston Smith- at first I was disappointed with this pick, but after hearing so many people rave about Smith, I am changing my tune. He is very versatile, and will get a look in quite a few packages. He's also a guy who picks up the game very well, and will do whatever is asked of him.

3.) RB Matt Jones- I still think we reached here, but that was likely a byproduct of runningbacks coming off the board in the third round. Jones is a huge guy, and isn't afraid to hit the hole and keep going, nor is he afraid to hit someone as a blocker, which I think really appeals to the Redskins. However, he is limited to just running between the tackles, and some have said he has no vision for lanes whatsoever.

4.) WR Jamison Crowder- Crowder likely ends Andre Roberts' brief stay in Washington. Crowder is small, but plays much bigger than he is. He will be an immediate contributor as a return man and in the slot. He is a guy who can make things happen, and I am really excited to see how the Redskins plan to get him the ball.

4.) OG Arie Kouandijo- fell into the fourth round due to concerns surrounding his knees, but Kouandijo is very polished, having started most of his career at Alabama. Very big, strong guy, who I think will start for us sooner rather than later. With this pick and Scherff, it's clear we want to bring the Hogs back.

5.) ILB Martrell Speight- dominated JUCO before coming to Arkansas, and only started one year but led the SEC in tackles- loves to be physical and hit people. He is a project and will have to work on other parts of his game.

6.) SS Kyshean Jarrett- undersized for strong safety, but will be an immediate special teams contributor but will have to work his way into the defensive rotation.

6.) CB Tevin Mitchel- limited to only nickel back at Arkansas, Mitchel has good size and put on a good pro day. He is another player who is a project.

6.) WR Evan Spencer- some might say he was drafted because he is the brother of one of the Redskins scouts. He grades very high as a blocker, has good size and will be another player who makes an immediate impact on special teams.

7.) C Austin Reiter- solid center, and should be a good backup. I admittedly do not know much about him as far as his ceiling goes.

Overall, I think Scot McCloughan did a great job on his first draft. He said he would have at least 10 picks, and he worked trades to make that happen. It's clear he is focused on the trenches and winning the battle there, but also drafting college players who are proven, productive players. Guys who put their team first, want to put in the extra work and bring a couple dimensions to their game. Another important thing is drafting players who will perform well on special teams, because that's been an area where the Redskins have really struggled in recent years, amongst others.

Grade: B+
  • j.hen
    Self Care
    • Oct 2008

For Atlanta:

1st) Vic Beasley- Couldn't be happier he was still around at 8. Beas was my top pick for awhile now and I can't wait to see what Quinn helps mold him into. Atlanta desperately needed a pass rusher and a LEO backer for Quinn's defense, Beas will be a perfect fit.

2nd) Jalen Collins- Again, can't believe he slipped this far and made it to Atlanta's second pick. Collins can potentially step in Day 1 across from Trufant. Not worried at all about his off field issues. Everything I've read and seen about the kid convinces me those bad decisions are behind him. Atlanta also arguably has the greatest collection of defensive back coaches in the league with Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris, and Marquand Manuel.

3rd) Tevin Coleman- Perfect scheme fit here for Kyle Shanahan's offense. Could immediately take over as Atlanta's starting running back and compliments Devonta Freeman and Antone Smith really quite well. Every one of these RB's can take it to the house on any given carry.

4th) Justin Hardy- This one surprised me a bit because I assumed Atlanta would use this pick to add to the offensive line, but again I'm immensely excited to see him in Atlanta's offense. Another player who could/should step in Day 1 and contribute for this team. Harry Douglas who???

5th) Grady Jarrett- ANOTHER pick I'm psyched to see on the field for Atlanta. A perfect scheme fit for what Quinn wants to accomplish with his defense. Jarrett can be a great rotational player early on in his career with the potential to play at a pro bowl level further down the road.

7th) Jake Rodgers- Finally added a body to the woeful offensive line. Most likely a swing tackle who can go left or right and work his way to become great depth for the team.

7th) Akeem King- Another DB selected to help give the secondary a little depth and can definitely contribute on special teams right away.

Overall Grade: A

This is far and away the best draft Atlanta has had for quite some time. Much better than any classes Mike Smith brought in during his time with the team. 6 players who should be able to help out this season, and most likely 4 starters by the tail end of the season.

This top notch draft class along with the free agent pick ups and super friendly schedule for this year could easily mean a possible play off berth for the Falcons.

Comment

• GopherGuy
      Noob
      • Oct 2014

Vikings drafted a CB in the first round. He is from Michigan State (bad), but fast as fuck (good). CB seems like a position that takes a lot of time to learn in the NFL, so he probably won't be able to help year one, so bad pick in my opinion. No comments on the rest of the draft because I'm not a nerd and don't study up on guys who aren't in top 30. No way almost any of them make a impact, so LOL at analyzing 7th round picks.

Best part of Vikings draft is they did not trade AD.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Jhen, the Falcons had a great draft, you should be very happy with it. I really wanted Vic Beasley as well, and thought the Redskins would take him. I'm happy with the Scherff pick right now, but I am happy he went to the Falcons, where he will be used to his full potential. I really like the rest of the draft, including Hardy. He's going to be a great complement to Julio Jones and will work the middle of the field extremely well.

Comment

• buckeye
          Noob
          • Dec 2013

Browns

1-12 DT Danny Shelton

I will admit part of me wanted Melvin Gordon here but I can't be mad. Shelton should step in day 1 and rotate through the defensive line. He will mostly see NT time but if he shows any pass rush he will be at all 3 spots. Sorely needed up upgrade

2-19 C/G Cameron Erving

Doing cartwheels over this one. Dude played LT for 2 seasons before moving to Center. If you all watched Cleveland last year they were a playoff team with Alex Mack, when he went down they were the worst team in the league.

Erving will probsbly start at Right Guard or possibly Right Tackle. Already being hailed as a future Pro Bowler by many NFL execs. Hopefully he lives up to the hype. We could be in the top 3 best o lines in the league.

Will do more as I get time today...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

• 1ke
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
            • Mar 2009

Both happy and angry.

Happy, I thought the Bears had a decent draft on paper.

Not so happy, I thought they would have focused more on defense.

Comment

• ThunderHorse
              Grind.
              • Nov 2008

I was surprised Indianapolis did what they did on day 1 but was happy with how it turned out.

Even though I doubt anyone will openly admit it. Dorsett gives Indianapolis a little leverage with Hilton when his # for FA is called. The position group is deep, but Moncrief is only going into his second year and Johnson is only going to play for so long. When Hilton wants to get paid, if it's more than the Colts can really afford, they can let him walk and essentially have a bigger, faster version of him waiting in the wings. It's not a win now move, but a long term one that I think is smart.

I'll be interested to see how the corner, safety, and runningback from Mississippi state turn out on the field.

Comment

• webbi
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by 1ke
                Both happy and angry.

Happy, I thought the Bears had a decent draft on paper.

Not so happy, I thought they would have focused more on defense.
                we went defense heavy in FA though.. wasnt surprised to go offense in draft.. really like the langford pick.

http://www.twitch.tv/webbi17

Comment

• the Brain
                  • Jan 2010

Panthers draft will hinge on the first 2. Shaq Thompson is a good athlete. But the strongest position on Carolina is LB w/Kuechly & Thomas Davis. I could see if Thompson was going to be used @ safety. That's something they could use. But they ignored their weakest spot, LT, to strengthen what was already strong. Not to mention the fact that Thompson was a player many thought could be had later. Reasoning that he might not be there in the 2nd round, Davis's health history, & the fact Davis's contract is coming up doesn't justify picking Shaq @ that time w/more glaring issues to address.

One of those is finding a 2nd WR. Carolina made the Shaq pick even more questionable by drafting Funchess in the 2nd round. Not saying he is a bad player. Not saying he was picked too early. But you gave up 3 picks in order to jump & grab him. If WR was such a need that it was worth giving up 2 later picks to move up, then why didn't you use the first round to address that spot? Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett, Green-Beckham, were all available in the 1st round, along with other wideouts w/similar, or better, grades as Funchess. You could have had good talent w/o needing to make the sacrifices that they did.

To me, the entire draft for Carolina will be a poor one if Shaq & Funchess do not become anchors for this team into the next decade. I felt the Panthers poorly executed their plan, paid too much to get what they wanted. Going for them like they did will only be understood if they are unquestioned leaders of the team down the road.

Comment

• j.hen
                    Self Care
                    • Oct 2008

I was cracking up during the draft watching the players Carolina was drafting. Time will tell how they did but they definitely gave up too much for a player like Funchess.

Comment

• dope
                      Allons-y!
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by GopherGuy
                      Vikings drafted a CB in the first round. He is from Michigan State (bad), but fast as fuck (good). CB seems like a position that takes a lot of time to learn in the NFL, so he probably won't be able to help year one, so bad pick in my opinion. No comments on the rest of the draft because I'm not a nerd and don't study up on guys who aren't in top 30. No way almost any of them make a impact, so LOL at analyzing 7th round picks.

Best part of Vikings draft is they did not trade AD.
                      you are way off in saying none of them make an impact. waynes and kendricks will both be day 1 starters.

if waynes cleans up his grabby hands he's going to make a great counterpart to rhodes. look what zimmer did to rhodes last year, he does the same for waynes those nfc north receivers aren't going to be so intimidating anymore.

kendricks should step into the mike role and be a 3 down player from the start of the season, and along with barr those two will be making plays from sideline to sideline for the next handful of years.

another player who could make an instant impact is clemmings, if that foot is ok he could start at lg this season or even lt should khalil continue to be a turnstile.

taking a flyer on hunter was based on his athleticism, with some coaching he could turn into a big steal in the 3rd. again it comes down to coaching with him, but zimmer has shown that he's able to coach guys up every place he's been. hunter will also be heavily involved in special teams from the beginning imo as well.

diggs is another guy who should see the field in year in the slot at times, but more heavily on special teams.

i count 5 guys who you could hear their names called on sunday.

getting 5 potential year 1 contributors means all in all the vikings had a great draft, yes guys in those later rounds hardly make big waves, but you win with guys that can provide production and help with depth. we got two guys in positions of need (cb, and lb) who were also rated as the top of their position, and then filled out the rest of the roster with guys that provide depth where we needed it (dline and oline) and bring big boom potential (that also means bust potential as well haha)

you can see zimmer really putting together a defense in his mold and we should be looking at a top 15 defense again next year and maybe top 5-10 in a couple years. while we didn't add any "top flight" offensive players we weren't really in need of them after trading for wallace (sure he could bomb here like miami, but there is a log jam at wr anyways, adding a first round guy is only going to compound that) with ap back, a hopefully healthy kyle rudolph and some added depth along the oline (should injuries occur) and dline (helps with rotation) we should have a fairly balanced team and this draft def improved the team as a whole.

does that equal playoffs, no i don't think so. i think we go 8-8/9-7 at best 10-6, but with green bay you've got to do better than that to win the nfc north and detroit is no longer the lions of old, so i think we just miss out on a wild card. doesn't help we have (according to football outsiders) the toughest schedule in the nfl. but again this was a great draft on paper and on paper it improves the team and continues putting zimmers stamp on this team.

i think we look back at these past two drafts and point to it as the turn around in minnesota.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                        • Feb 2009

Dallas is in for a surprise when they realize that maybe just maybe having a special RB is important to the run game. No matter how great the O Line a RB is past them in 4 yards the rest is up to him. Noone in that backfield can produce or control a game the way Murray did.
                        Granted they came away with guys experts believe to be 3 first round talents ,but not a single RB.
                        Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• the Brain
                          • Jan 2010

KOF, I can see how you feel. But I really can't remember a RB being bad behind a great OL. I've seen bad OL's make good RB look bad. But I can't recall it the other way.

Comment

Working...