From the "No Duh?" Dept in Missoula, MT..........

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the Brain
    • Jan 2010

From the "No Duh?" Dept in Missoula, MT..........

..........NFL finds Pats equipment guys "probably" deflated the balls on purpose & Brady "probably" knew about it.

Attached Files
  • BigBucs
    Unpretentious
    • May 2009

Link to the report. Check out the text messages starting on page 79

Comment

• Derrville
      Dallas has no coaching...
      • Jul 2009

"Omg! Spaz"

The text messages talk a lot about inflating the balls because Brady had bitched about the balls during the Oct 16 game against the Jets and theres actually text message during the game. The next day John Jasmeskri, who Tom talked to checked the balls and few were supposedly over inflated. This sets Jim Mcnally into a Tom Brady hate filled rage and one of his plans is blowing the balls up like rugby sized even saying, "Fuckin watermelons coming".

A couple messages later Mcnally says in refrence to Tom, "The only thing deflating sun.. is his passer rating"

3 days later Brady went 30-35 354 yds and threw 5 tds for a season best record of 148.4.

Hilarious.
      Last edited by Derrville; 05-07-2015, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• the Brain
        • Jan 2010

I love how Brady's suddenly frequent calls to the assistant equipment mgr were to keep the guy focused on the big game.

Comment

• ThunderHorse
          Grind.
          • Nov 2008

NFL Network is killing me with this "They went 6 quarters with regulation balls and played lights out so let's ignore that they did this"

They've been doing this for a while. They've had a historically low fumble rate in relation with the rest of the league for a couple of years now. Deflated footballs are easier to hold onto.

How many plays, drives, games were won because the Pats were playing with softer balls? How many of those games won contributed to their seeding in the playoffs?

Comment

• the Brain
            • Jan 2010

I think whether flatter a ball helped or didn't help is immaterial. What matters is you have a rule. No matter how essential or inconsequential it is, you have a rule. If you don't punish a purposeful violation of it you are sending a message that rules are there to be broken or that some are favored more than others. And when your business is fair competition, that is a fatal message to send to your customer base.

Comment

• Houston
              Back home
              • Oct 2008

"Fucking watermelons coming"

Comment

• SethMode
                Master of Mysticism
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by the Brain
                I think whether flatter a ball helped or didn't help is immaterial. What matters is you have a rule. No matter how essential or inconsequential it is, you have a rule. If you don't punish a purposeful violation of it you are sending a message that rules are there to be broken or that some are favored more than others. And when your business is fair competition, that is a fatal message to send to your customer base.
                That's my thought as well. And, you know, there is the fact that the Pats are the team that keep coming up for this shit. It's kind of irrelevant how much the cheating did or didn't help them: they cheated. They broke a rule. What is also irrelevant that is squirreling up again among mostly Pats fans, is that everyone does it. I don't care if every team does this, just like I didn't care that everyone spied on other teams. You got caught. In high school, when my best friend was the one that got caught when we were all drinking underage at the local national park, his mom didn't give a shit that the rest of us were doing it too.
                Last edited by SethMode; 05-07-2015, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• BigBucs
                  Unpretentious
                  • May 2009

The NFL's evidence that Tom Brady knew about a likely plot to deflate footballs before the AFC title game is circumstantial.

But this isn't a court of law. NFL investigator Tedd Wells thought there was enough there to conclude Brady was probably "generally aware" of what was going on, and said as much in his report.

One of key pieces of evidence that led Wells to this conclusion is Brady's level of communication with equipment assistant John Jastremski in the days after the scandal broke. According to the report, investigators believe that Jastremski and locker room attendant Jim McNally conspired to deflate the game balls before the AFC title game, with McNally physically deflating the balls using a needle provided by Jastremski.

After the scandal broke in the early morning hours of January 19, according to the report, there was a significant uptick in communication between Brady and Jastremski. Investigators found this suspicious. Jastremski, who was in charge of preparing balls for gameday, hadn't talked to Brady over the phone or exchanged texts with him in six months going into January 19. Over the next 72 hours, according to phone records, they talked on the phone eight times and exchanged 15 texts.

The texts show Brady continually checked up on Jastremski after the scandal broke, talked to him multiple times a day, and even invited him to the quarterback meeting room to talk for the first time in Jastremski's 20 years with the team.

Here's all the communication between the two in the three days after the AFC title game, as detailed by the report.

January 19th, the day after the AFC title game: They talk on the phone four times for a total of 25 minutes and exchange 12 texts. It's their first phone communication in six months.

According to the report, Jastremski read a ProFootballTalk article about the deflated football scandal at 7:04 a.m. the morning after the game. Twenty minutes later, at 7:25 a.m., he texted Brady asking him to call him:

Brady calls him a minute later, and they talk for 13 minutes. Jastremski initially told NFL Security that they didn't talk about the deflated balls, but later told Wells that they did.

9:51 a.m.: Brady texts Jastremski checking up on him. Jastremski says he's "still nervous:"

Brady (9:51 a.m.): You good Jonny boy?

Jastremski (9:53 a.m.): Still nervous; so far so good though. I'll be alright

Brady (9:54 a.m.): You didn't do anything wrong bud.

Jastremski (9:55 a.m.): I know; I'll be all good

Brady told investigators he was just supporting Jastremski because he knew Jastremski was responsible for the condition of the balls. Jastremski told investigators he was joking when he said he was "nervous."

10:54 a.m.: Jastremski texts Brady giving him a heads up that head equipment manager David Schoenfeld was going to interview him:

Jastremski (10:54 a.m.): FYI...Dave will be picking your brain later about it. He's not accusing me, or anyone...trying to get to bottom of it. He knows it's unrealistic you did it yourself...

Jastremski (10:55 a.m.): Just a heads up

Brady (10:59 a.m.): No worries bud. We are all good

Jastremski told investigators that the "it's unrealistic you did it yourself" text was a joke.

2:30 p.m.: Brady texts Jastremski asking him to come up to the quarterback room, which is basically Brady's office:

Brady (2:38 p.m.): Jj are you here?

Jastremski (2:38 p.m.): Yup

Brady (2:38 p.m.): Come to qb room

Brady says they discussed ball preparation for the Super Bowl. Jastremski has worked for the team for 20 years and Brady never called him into his office.

5:21 p.m.: Brady tells Jastremski to call him.

They talk for 12 minutes, again telling investigators they were talking about Super Bowl balls.

January 20th: They talk on the phone twice for nearly 10 minutes and exchange two texts.

7:24 a.m.: Jastremski tells Brady to call him.

They talk for about six minutes. Again Jastremski says they discussed Super Bowl balls, not the deflated ball scandal.

5:31 p.m.: Brady checks in:

They talk on the phone for three minutes. From the report:

"Jastremski said that he did not understand Brady's text message to be a reference to the NFL's investigation of the circumstances surrounding the AFC Championship Game, even though Jastremski had been interviewed by NFL Security that afternoon. Instead, Jastremski said that he understood Brady to be checking in because Brady knew that 'it's a pain in the butt' to prepare over fifty footballs for the Super Bowl."

January 21th: They talk twice on the phone and exchange one text.

7:27 a.m.: Brady texts him asking to call.

They talk for 13 minutes. Brady says they talked about Super Bowl balls. Jastremski says they talked about Super Bowl balls and his wedding.

11:45 a.m.: They talk on the phone for seven minutes.

It's important to note that there isn't a full electronic paper trail on Brady because he wouldn't give investigators access to his phone, which investigators say "potentially limited the discovery of relevant evidence and was not helpful to the investigation."

Is this (combined with other evidence suggesting Brady was vigilant about ball inflation levels) enough to conclude Brady was probably "generally aware" of the likely plot?

Brady's camp certainly doesn't think so. Brady "denied any knowledge of or involvement in any efforts to deflate game balls after the pre-game inspection by the game officials," according to the report. His agent Don Yee released a blistering statement blasting Wells' conclusion and accusing the league of staging a sting operation. Wells concludes otherwise, saying Brady it's likely that Brady knew something.

Now it's up to the NFL to make its own conclusions about what Brady knew and determine whether he should be punished.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                    • Feb 2009

Bottom line whats the punishment.
                    Pats have been caught cheating ...again...during a SB season. This isnt decades later some retired equipment Mgr confessing gameday sins...this time it was right before the SB and that massive shithead Goodell tries to minimize it. He has none left but if he ever wanted to recover some credibility he needs to nail the Pats for this even though its ridiculously and calculatedly late.
                    Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• the Brain
                      • Jan 2010

Here are the most blatant instances of rule breaking by NFL organizations in the last few years.....

1.Patriots taping hand signals from opponents. Results before punishment? Super Bowl win

2.Saints paying players for causing opponents injuries. Results before punishment? Super Bowl win

3.Patriots deflating balls for a better grip. Results before punishment? Super Bowl win

Now I ask you: Would anyone above be willing to risk the results of their season by changing anything? So far, the lesson the boys & girls of the NFL have learned is its worth it to break the rules to win the SB trophy. If the NFL truly wants to deter their franchises from circumventing the rules, then they must make the punishment not worth the risk of getting caught.

Brady should be suspended a year.

Comment

• BookerT316
                        Don't Hate the Playa
                        • Dec 2009

This may be true but if you are looking at this as a business or a job. But the NFL rules committee is ran by the Owners. So they control everything and they punish who they want know matter what the crime be.
                        Originally posted by Potatoes002
                        I can see bookers pics fine.......maybe cause Im like the only one using Internet Explorer or some shit.
                        Originally posted by BookerT316
                        For four hundred years, that word has kept us down. Took a whole lotta tryin' just to get up that hill. Now we're up in the big leagues, gettin' our turn at bat. As long as we live, it's you and me, baby...

Comment

• the Brain
                          • Jan 2010

This may be true but if you are looking at this as a business or a job. But the NFL rules committee is ran by the Owners. So they control everything and they punish who they want know matter what the crime be.
                          I would respond, but I have no idea what you just wrote. You go to school w/Cookie Monster?

Comment

• BookerT316
                            Don't Hate the Playa
                            • Dec 2009

I would respond, but I have no idea what you just wrote. You go to school w/Cookie Monster?

I see your a Tom Brady Fan, Well Let me Retort.
                            A liar what your homeboy Tommy is, and the world knows it so no matter what he's does from now on his legacy is set in stone.
                            Originally posted by Potatoes002
                            I can see bookers pics fine.......maybe cause Im like the only one using Internet Explorer or some shit.
                            For four hundred years, that word has kept us down. Took a whole lotta tryin' just to get up that hill. Now we're up in the big leagues, gettin' our turn at bat. As long as we live, it's you and me, baby...

Comment

• SethMode
                              Master of Mysticism
                              • Feb 2009

I see your a Tom Brady Fan, Well Let me Retort.
                              A liar what your homeboy Tommy is, and the world knows it so no matter what he's does from now on his legacy is set in stone.
                              ? What does this even mean?

At absolutely no point in this thread does he come across as pro-Brady in this scenario. Particularly in the post RIGHT BEFORE YOUR INITIAL ONE where he calls for a year suspension for Brady. WTF are you talking about?

Comment

Working...