• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

2018 Week 1 NFL Thoughts and Comments

Week 1 NFL Thoughts

*Falcons continue to have massive red-zone issues, all the more puzzling considering the presence of “bust” Julio Jones. Matt Ryan’s 2016 season is looking more like a “fluke” and less like “the next step”. When Atlanta’s offense was clicking, both Freeman and Coleman were churning out yards on the ground and scoring red zone TDs. They’ve both been surprisingly ineffective, and Matt Ryan can’t pick up the slack.

*Dolphins-Titans took a very long time to decide which team will be more irrelevant this year. At least the Dolphins aren’t going with Jay Cutler at QB this year.

*Steelers tying the Browns was a surprise, but the Steelers don’t have much talent outside their skill positions. Not sure how far Pittsburgh will go this year.

*The Bills may have the worst proactive QB situation to start a season in NFL history. Its not like the regular starter got injured or their top rookie QB is holding out…they chose to start an NFL season with Nathan Peterman backed up by Josh Allen. The only redeeming quality of Josh Allen is that he illustrates Mel Kiper’s retardation.

*Jags defense will be tough again this year, and Jags already know you can’t trust Bortles to do anything. Should be an interesting season for them.

*Rob Gronkowski…greatest TE ever?

*I always thought Jameis Winston was overrated, even in college. I think any decent NFL QB should put up big numbers throwing to Evans, DeSean Jackson, OJ Howard. Fitzpatrick is the definition of ‘decent’, and he’s perhaps an improvement over Winston. The flipside to this is that some media people were predicting the Saints to win the Super Bowl this year…looks like their defense regressed to early 2017.

*Phillip Rivers continues to impress me…if only he were on a better team.

*Vikings-Niners was a slugfest…I think Vikings are the favorite to represent the NFC this year. Rams and Eagles could also make noise.

*Speaking of the NFC playoff contenders…Dallas looked terrible and Seattle is basically Russell Wilson and some bodies. The luster is completely off Dak Prescott, and he’s basically Tyrod Taylor on a better team…but in Prescott’s defense, its probably not good when people are trying to talk up Allen Hurns as the big offseason acquisition.

*Cardinals and Lions looked putrid.

*Quite the Larry Bird v. Pacers performance by Aaron Rodgers. Khalil Mack dominated the 1st half for the Bears, and apparently got ‘winded’ in the 2nd half. Bears D could be top notch this year, but its sad when people begin to say that Mitch Trubisky’s ceiling is “Alex Smith”. Bears should start looking at new QB options for 2019.
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
    Week 1 NFL Thoughts

*Falcons continue to have massive red-zone issues, all the more puzzling considering the presence of “bust” Julio Jones. Matt Ryan’s 2016 season is looking more like a “fluke” and less like “the next step”. When Atlanta’s offense was clicking, both Freeman and Coleman were churning out yards on the ground and scoring red zone TDs. They’ve both been surprisingly ineffective, and Matt Ryan can’t pick up the slack.

*Dolphins-Titans took a very long time to decide which team will be more irrelevant this year. At least the Dolphins aren’t going with Jay Cutler at QB this year.

*Steelers tying the Browns was a surprise, but the Steelers don’t have much talent outside their skill positions. Not sure how far Pittsburgh will go this year.

*The Bills may have the worst proactive QB situation to start a season in NFL history. Its not like the regular starter got injured or their top rookie QB is holding out…they chose to start an NFL season with Nathan Peterman backed up by Josh Allen. The only redeeming quality of Josh Allen is that he illustrates Mel Kiper’s retardation.

*Jags defense will be tough again this year, and Jags already know you can’t trust Bortles to do anything. Should be an interesting season for them.

*Rob Gronkowski…greatest TE ever?

*I always thought Jameis Winston was overrated, even in college. I think any decent NFL QB should put up big numbers throwing to Evans, DeSean Jackson, OJ Howard. Fitzpatrick is the definition of ‘decent’, and he’s perhaps an improvement over Winston. The flipside to this is that some media people were predicting the Saints to win the Super Bowl this year…looks like their defense regressed to early 2017.

*Vikings-Niners was a slugfest…I think Vikings are the favorite to represent the NFC this year. Rams and Eagles could also make noise.

*Speaking of the NFC playoff contenders…Dallas looked terrible and Seattle is basically Russell Wilson and some bodies. The luster is completely off Dak Prescott, and he’s basically Tyrod Taylor on a better team…but in Prescott’s defense, its probably not good when people are trying to talk up Allen Hurns as the big offseason acquisition.

*Cardinals and Lions looked putrid.

*Quite the Larry Bird v. Pacers performance by Aaron Rodgers. Khalil Mack dominated the 1st half for the Bears, and apparently got ‘winded’ in the 2nd half. Bears D could be top notch this year, but its sad when people begin to say that Mitch Trubisky’s ceiling is “Alex Smith”. Bears should start looking at new QB options for 2019.
    Philip Rivers=This generation's Dan Marino?...I've always been a huge Rivers fan. He's a HOF'er in my book.

Comment

• Champ
      Needs a hobby
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
      Philip Rivers=This generation's Dan Marino?...I've always been a huge Rivers fan. He's a HOF'er in my book.
      NCSU

Comment

• FirstTimer
        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Watched almost zero NFL football this weekend...

Someone please do NCAA recaps..

Comment

• Leftwich
          Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Senser as a jags fan bortles is a very sensitive subject.

Originally posted by Tailback U
          It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Rush
            vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

The Bears thoughts hurt

Comment

• BazookaJoe5
              Formerly ravensownall17
              • Feb 2009

How long are people going to hire Pats coordinators? They always suck as HC. Granted it's one game, but the talk of disgruntled players...after week 1...not good.

Comment

• ram29jackson
                Noob
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                Meh, I'm trying to think of another comparison lol that might be an insult to Marino. Rivers ain't seen no SB time

Comment

• ram29jackson
                  Noob
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BazookaJoe5
                  How long are people going to hire Pats coordinators? They always suck as HC. Granted it's one game, but the talk of disgruntled players...after week 1...not good.
                  Tabloid bullshit

Comment

• ram29jackson
                    Noob
                    • Nov 2008

Dallas has no receivers,no passing game.suckfest coming

Comment

• jms493
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BazookaJoe5
                      Belichick disciples are not the same as Parcells' ones...that's for sure.

Comment

• bucky
                        #50? WTF?
                        • Feb 2009

Week 1 NFL Thoughts

Phillup Rivers is good, but he's no Jerry Kramer!

I know that doesn't make any sense al all, but I just wanted to say JERRY KRAMER. HOF baby!!!!

Green Bay Packers Video: The official source of the latest Packers game highlights, locker room interviews, press conferences, TV shows and live video

Comment

• ram29jackson
                          Noob
                          • Nov 2008

Vikings are next year.
                          Rams,Redskins or Niners this time around.

Comment

• Senser81
                            VSN Poster of the Year
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ram29jackson
                            Vikings are next year.
                            Rams,Redskins or Niners this time around.
                            Makes sense. The Niners haven't made the postseason in 5 years, the Redskins haven't won a postseason games in 14 years, and the Niners just lost to the Vikings....but its the Redskins or Niners this time around.

Comment

• BazookaJoe5
                              Formerly ravensownall17
                              • Feb 2009

Makes sense. The Niners haven't made the postseason in 5 years, the Redskins haven't won a postseason games in 14 years, and the Niners just lost to the Vikings....but its the Redskins or Niners this time around.
                              I've missed this trademark Senser snark.

Comment

Working...