X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

Plax to Bears?

It's been a "never say never" offseason so far in the NFL, but the outcome that Carol Slezak of the Chicago Sun-Times has suggested could set a new standard for shock value. Less than a month after the usually conservative Buffalo Bills made a splash by signing Terrell Owens, Slezak suggests that the Chicago Bears should make a similar move by signing free-agent wide receiver, and potential jailbird, Plaxico Burress.

Slezak's argument is fairly sound; namely, while the acquisition of Jay Cutler at quarterback was bold, necessary and has energized the fan base, come game day it doesn't matter who the team's quarterback is if there is no legitimate No. 1 wide receiver to whom he can throw.

While the Bears did compromise their drafting position by trading away the No. 18 pick - a pick that was probably going to be used on a wide receiver like Maryland's Darrius Heyward-Bey - signing Burress isn't necessarily a solution. With Burress' legal situation adjourned until the middle of the summer, it's uncertain whether or not he'll even be able to play one down in 2009.

The Bears have two other options that may yet be explored. First, they might make a run at free agent Torry Holt. Publicly, the only teams to have expressed interest thus far in Holt are the Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Bears could make an aggressive offer to trump both AFC South teams. Although Holt may not have the wheels he once did, he would certainly be a reliable target for Cutler, and could open up possibilities for Devin Hester, the converted defensive back who is still developing his offensive game.

The other option is to make a play for Chad Ocho Cinco. Like the Dallas Cowboys and Carolina Panthers, the Bears won't make their first pick until the second round, and a second-round draft pick is the rumored asking price for Ocho Cinco. If the Bears trade their second-rounder to the Cincinnati Bengals, they would have to wait until the No. 99 overall selection to take their first prospect. While this is a highly unlikely scenario, it's not impossible, especially considering the new faces in new places over the past few weeks.
    ESPN Rumors
  • Prodigal Son
    The Greatest
    • Feb 2009

He won't see an NFL contract until his trial is over. He's done for this year basically

Comment

• Len B
      :moonwalk:
      • Oct 2008

Slezak suggests that the Chicago Bears should make a similar move by signing free-agent wide receiver, and potential jailbird, Plaxico Burress.

How does a local columnist's suggestion turn into a legitimate rumor?

Comment

• ZAN
        ZAN
        • Oct 2008

Let alone an ESPN rumor?

Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind having Plax around....

Cutler, Forte, Olsen, Plax, Hester, and Clark= Ooooohwee...

Comment

• Saluki
          Ball So Hard
          • Oct 2008

Plax will want big cash, he's still in his prime and won't want to take much of a paycut, someone will pay him the big bucks, i just don't see the bears doing it

Comment

• JayDizzle
            Let's Go All The Way...
            • Nov 2008

An immediate upgrade to Chicago's receiving corps if they somehow pull it off... the key being that Cheddar Plax manages to skirt jailtime.

...of course since that idea's been done to death, I'll just say that if Chicago wants to do anything substantial this season, it would behoove them to find some missing pieces that would have gotten them into the playoffs last season.

Plax may be one of them.

Comment

• BWEISS
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JBalla1588
              I can definately see Plax in a Bears uniform
              After he wears an orange jumpsuit for a few years

Comment

• steeljake
                6 rings...
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Saluki
                Plax will want big cash, he's still in his prime and won't want to take much of a paycut, someone will pay him the big bucks, i just don't see the bears doing it
                dont forget that cocksucker roesenhause(sp?) is his agent so he will try to demand huge bucks. nothing is going to happen with this guy until he get s aplea deal that keeps him out of jail though.

23:33 OnlyOneBeerLeft: jake nobody listens to you aint you supposed to die from cancer or somethin soon?

Comment

• killgod
                  OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                  • Oct 2008

umm guys? this article was written by a woman.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Agree with Len. This is an idiotic column written by someone looking to fill space on a page because they had nothing better to write.

JA has been pretty tough since the Tank/Cedric stuff went down. No way in hell he signs Plax, especially with a trial looming in June.

He'd be more likely to deal his pick for Ocho Cinco....which 99% won't happen as he will be content to bring in a rookie to team up with Hester and Bennett.

Comment

• Leftwich
                      Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

If he goes to jail does anyone think he'll still be as good as he was last year?

I think not.

Originally posted by Tailback U
                      It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• zack54attack
                        Posts a lot
                        • Dec 2008

if he doesnt do jail time, I'd love to have him in Chicago.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by zack54attack
                          if he doesnt do jail time, I'd love to have him in Chicago.
                          Agree.

But no way in hell I want him signed before his legal shit is settled. Although regardless I doubt Angelo would sign him anyways.

Comment

• Rayman
                            Spic 'n Spanish
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by glenwillett
                            Chad Johnson still wants out. Don't give up Bears fans! Now you just have to find a decent QB.
                            Who is Chad Johnson?

Comment

• MRN
                              MRNeverwearthesamething
                              • Nov 2008

Lol..the only team dumb enough to sign Plax is the Cincinatti Bengals, they sign all the losers in the league. Which is why I think they are retarded for wanting to get rid of Ocho Cinco, he has never had legal problems, but they want to get rid of him to keep there team chemistry good, WTF, they just signed Tank fucking Johnson, and resigned Chris Henry.

Comment

Working...