X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave
    Go the fuck outside
    • Oct 2008

Finally: Rookie salaries a key item on NFL owners' agenda

Thank God/Allah/Kate Beckinsale/or the higher being of your choice.

Rookies making veteran money sucks.

The NFL definitely needs a rookie cap ... and for the vets to make that money.
    My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts
  • Leftwich
    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

This is going to create more cap room for teams but the veterans are gonna ask for even bigger contracts.

Originally posted by Tailback U
    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• dave
      Go the fuck outside
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Leftwich
      This is going to create more cap room for teams but the veterans are gonna ask for even bigger contracts.
      And the veterans deserve it. They actually did something in the NFL.
      My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• 1ke
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
        • Mar 2009

Great news indeed. But wouldn it have been a bigger story if they would have ignored this shit this time?

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

I think rookie deals should be structured.

Matt Stafford being of the highest paid players in the league before stepping foot at mini-camp is crazy. And honestly, I'm shocked that the union supports a market that doesn't favor tenured unionized players. During the draft, when the new head of the NFLPA and Goddell spoke with Rich Eisen, I was shocked at how union just dismissed the rookie cap, as I find that to conflict greatly the tenured and senior players of the union.

I'm all for the kids getting their money-money, but you shouldn't be making more then tenured, Pro-Bowl players before you step foot at the rookie camp.

Comment

• Rayman
            Spic 'n Spanish
            • Feb 2009

Matt Stafford should not be making anywhere near what Ben Roethlisberger makes, nevermind more.

What a joke.

Comment

• ralaw
              Posts too much
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Larry
              I think rookie deals should be structured.

Matt Stafford being of the highest paid players in the league before stepping foot at mini-camp is crazy. And honestly, I'm shocked that the union supports a market that doesn't favor tenured unionized players. During the draft, when the new head of the NFLPA and Goddell spoke with Rich Eisen, I was shocked at how union just dismissed the rookie cap, as I find that to conflict greatly the tenured and senior players of the union.

I'm all for the kids getting their money-money, but you shouldn't be making more then tenured, Pro-Bowl players before you step foot at the rookie camp.
              Its' probably because the players union isn't in the business of taking money away from its players. The union’s ideal plans would be to keep rookie contracts were they are, while continuing to extend the cap to the point where the tenured players are also getting piece of the pie. For the most part these rookie deals are the best contracts most of these rookies will sign, so maximizing a setup that rewards players based on potential is the best situation for them. Also, the union isn’t about to agree to making concessions without getting something in return from the owners.

Comment

• steeljake
                6 rings...
                • Oct 2008

the nba has it right in this aspect when it comes to rookie salaries. make guys have a capped number for the first deal and also let it be for 3 years or less. that way if the guy is peyton manning you can pay him and if he is ryan leaf you don't sink your team signing him.

23:33 OnlyOneBeerLeft: jake nobody listens to you aint you supposed to die from cancer or somethin soon?

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
                  Its' probably because the players union isn't in the business of taking money away from its players. The union’s ideal plans would be to keep rookie contracts were they are, while continuing to extend the cap to the point where the tenured players are also getting piece of the pie. For the most part these rookie deals are the best contracts most of these rookies will sign, so maximizing a setup that rewards players based on potential is the best situation for them. Also, the union isn’t about to agree to making concessions without getting something in return from the owners.
                  The high cap number will never work...rookie contracts will continue to bloat and fill that cap space. Remember, the rookie cap is a %, not a fixed number...so, as the capo goes higher, so does the rookie pool, and so the rookie contracts, especially for picks 1-5 (and withan increased cap 6-10) will be astronomical.

The NFL has gotten to a point where it is so big, and the cap and contracts are also getting astronomical, they need to look into controlling the chaos a bit before they start playing with monopoly money.

Have a rookie cap + implement a hard minimum cap which forces owners to spend fixes the issue with vet salaries.
                  Last edited by LiquidLarry2GhostWF; 05-18-2009, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• steeljake
                    6 rings...
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by babalu87
                    Kinda like I said above, right?
                    well, i said it better and i didnt use a lame ass jarrod mayo example... so...

23:33 OnlyOneBeerLeft: jake nobody listens to you aint you supposed to die from cancer or somethin soon?

Comment

• steeljake
                      6 rings...
                      • Oct 2008

oh my bad, he had a great year for a rookie and deserved a shit ton of cash... how many sacks did he have again? lemme look... none. hmm... maybe he made an impact being a ball hawk.... nope no int's... ooh look, 1 forced fumble... wow, you're right man, he really made a name for himself as a rookie. Him and Joe Flacco are future HoF'ers, good looking out brah...

just so you don't get all butt hurt and stupid on me... the kid does look like he could be good and he played well, even though thats what USC defensive players do in the NFL so it wasn't unexpected. The mayo to russel comparison was just too homeristic even for a guy like me.

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                        Jus' bout dat action boss
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by blitzrique
                        It's about fucking time this thing was put under logical control. The stars are aligning...

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause:
                        You act surprised this wouldn't be brought up with the CBA expiring and Matt Stafford just getting more guaranteed than any QB in the history of the game?

Of course they are going to change this. At this rate in five years the #1 pick would net someone 100M guaranteed.
                        Originally posted by ram29jackson
                        I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

Working...