X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

Leafs moving to get Kessel

The Maple Leafs may have just made several moves to put themselves in a position to acquire Phil Kessel.

Here's why the speculation is rampant: If the Leafs submit an offer sheet for Phil Kessel in the next few days, the Bruins won't be able to match it so the Leafs will get Kessel. But they would owe the Bruins a first, second and third round pick.

That said, the Leafs just acquired a 2010 second rounder in exchange for their second and third rounders in 2011. That said, it appears they're making a run at Kessel, spread about the internet about Kessel going to the Blues.

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli admitted that more than one team is interested, and we know the Rangers and Sharks are looking at the possibility of acquiring the 21-year-old.
    ESPN Rumors
  • Kuzzy Powers
    Beautiful Like Moses
    • Oct 2008

Anything to allow us to score some goals. Our offense is hideous.

Comment

• Hogle
      the franchise
      • Jul 2009

why the fuck are we trading away picks. We're supposed to be rebuilding, holy fuck
      sigpic

Comment

• wr50l
        Glen & CJ are secret Huns
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Hogle
        why the fuck are we trading away picks. We're supposed to be rebuilding, holy fuck
        This is the NHL. You can rebuild in two years. And what better foundation to have than a 21 year old who's got the ability to score 40 per year.

Leafs could make the playoffs as a total outsider this season.

Comment

• leaffan
          Colton Orr Fan
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Hogle
          Because getting a 1st round 5th overall 2006 draft pick who is proven to be on the way up is better than taking a chance.

The guy scored 36 goals last year and is only 21. WTF is wrong with some of you?

Sounds like a good player to build around. Not to mention the leafs have a lot of cap used up in old players who they probably won't resign in the future which means they can bring in more talent then.

I sorta laughed a few months ago at people saying the leafs could sneak in to the playoffs and while I still see that as a long shot still if they got kessel and started producing they'd have a really good start in whats going to be Burke's first full year as GM.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• Ravin
            Dishing the Gino's
            • Feb 2009

if you consider, the leafs had only 4 players last season with 20+ goals. Blake, Hagman, Ponikarovski and Grabovski with Blake leading with 25 goals. So yeah, adding a 36 goal scorer, (save the fact he did it on the Bruins) and a 21 year old, you have a good guy to start building your forwards around. The leafs have a defence team this year, and don't really need to work on it much anymore. They need to start worrying about adding some goals and start getting a legit first line which they haven't had since Sundin left. And there is no way I will ever call a line with Jason Blake a legit first line.

So don't look at it as trading away a drat pick, but rather, getting a proven player with your draft pick. Kessel is actually everything the leafs want in a player. Young, talented and build-a-round-able.
            All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• PP
              • Feb 2010

I am a bruins fan and I hate to see phil go, but if they offer enough and its a 1,2,3 rd pick i would think they will take the 3 draft picks so they dont even have to worry about his salary since they are so close to the cap.

Comment

• Yawkey Way
                Free World Leader
                • Oct 2008

bruins fan here as well, and i definitely don't think we should let go of Kessel. That's a lot of production to fill and i really don't want to see the alternatives

Comment

• Boucher
                  King of EDM
                  • Jul 2009

Im afraid that if we get him hell always be injured or just suck under the pressure of playing in Toronto

Comment

• killgod
                    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Boucher
                    Im afraid that if we get him hell always be injured or just suck under the pressure of playing in Toronto
                    Really?

I'm not so sure pressure in Toronto is even relevant right now.

While anything short of sweeping the playoffs is a failure in this city, all hockey fans in the GTA have come to terms with the fact that the Leafs fucking suck until proven otherwise.

Comment

• Hogle
                      the franchise
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                      Really?

I'm not so sure pressure in Toronto is even relevant right now.

While anything short of sweeping the playoffs is a failure in this city, all hockey fans in the GTA have come to terms with the fact that the Leafs fucking suck until proven otherwise.
                      true, but none of the real fans go to the games. It's all the rich people who can afford the tickets. And, even though we expect them to lose, they still get booed, and still get ripped on in the papers
                      sigpic

Comment

• Ravin
                        Dishing the Gino's
                        • Feb 2009

I would be careful about saying fans have come to terms with the leafs lossing for awhile longer. There still is people think they will win the cup this year.
                        All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• Boucher
                          King of EDM
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Ravin
                          I would be careful about saying fans have come to terms with the leafs lossing for awhile longer. There still is people think they will win the cup this year.

LEAFS ARE GOING TO WIN THE CUP THIS YEAR BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                          :inlove:

Comment

• Lanteri
                            No longer a noob
                            • Feb 2009

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Don't forget we have Recchi too who's also good for 20 goals a season.

Comment

• leaffan
                              Colton Orr Fan
                              • Feb 2009

According to burke now they an't going after him for the time being. Although he's been in communication with the bruins gm the whole time.

What a spinster that guy is.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

Working...