• Show
Clear All
  • Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

Hendo back to 205, likely to fight Babalu

- HENDERSON BACK TO 205, BABALU REMATCH LIKELY
    Monday, July 05, 2010 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

Dan Henderson's Strikeforce debut didn't go quite the way the former UFC and Pride fighter had hoped. After nearly knocking out Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields in the opening round, Henderson faded late, worn down by Shields’ takedowns and ground and pound over the remaining rounds.

Looking for a return to action, Henderson plans to move back to 205 pounds after a rough weight cut made the fight against Shields that much harder. He could be staring down a rematch with Renato "Babalu" Sobral this fall.

The move to light heavyweight also virtually guarantees Henderson won't be a part of a possible Strikeforce middleweight tournament to crown a new champion now that Jake Shields has officially exited the promotion.

"Dan I believe when I talked to him over the weekend, I talked to Jordan, his manager, and they said they probably want to fight at 205 instead of 185," said Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker when appearing on MMAWeekly.com Radio. "(They) felt that the weight cut was too much, and Dan would welcome to fight Babalu again, Gegard Mousasi, for a 205-pound contender's bout.

"I don't think you'll see Dan in the 185-pound tournament, although stranger things have happened in MMA, right?"

Mousasi is more than likely out of the running for a possible bout with Henderson due to his addition to the upcoming Dream Light Heavyweight Grand Prix that kicks off on July 10. He’ll face Jake O'Brien in the first round of that tournament.

As far as the timing for the fight, the Aug. 21 event seems off the table for Henderson's return, but a show in the fall would be a likely fit for a bout between Henderson and Babalu.

"We haven't finalized it, but I would think the top two guys, Babalu and Gegard, depends on what happens with Gegard, but I think a fight between Babalu and Dan is something we might pursue in the very near future," Coker stated.

"I don't want to disrespect, but I would like to fight (Henderson). It's going to be 11 years since I fought him. It's a long time, and please, it would be an honor to fight him again, to have the chance to fight Dan Henderson," said Sobral after his recent win over Robbie Lawler in Los Angeles.

Henderson and Sobral met for the first time in 2000 in the Rings "King of Kings" tournament. They fought to a decision, with Henderson getting the nod, but this was after both fighters had already fought two times earlier in the night.

The rematch between Henderson and Sobral could determine a No. 1 contender for the light heavyweight title as well.
    Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

• Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

I'd like him to fight Babalu first, than maybe Mousasi or King Mo

Dan has always done better at 205 in his career compared to 185, good move and he is needed there more

I'm thinking the CBS card in October might look like this from hearing different match ups

Fedor vs Overeem
    Diaz vs Mayhem
    Hendo vs Babalu
    Walker vs TBA
    Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• Rush
      vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

Not even kidding, that card would be fucking amazing to watch.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
        True Blue
        • Feb 2009

sweet... October is really close.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
          • Feb 2009

Great rumored card. Id much prefer Hendo vs King Mo or Mousasi though.
          Best reason to have a license.

Comment

Working...