• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Oh those wacky Japs, they love to work the fans

Originally posted by Dave Meltzer
    Despite Shinya Aoki announcing he would face Gilbert Melendez on 9/25 in Nagoya in a rematch, Strikeforce's Mike Afromowitz has said the match is not scheduled and Melendez is still out of action with a hand injury.

Scott Coker, in Japan for the show, also confirmed that the fight is not scheduled.
    I can understand the logic of a grandstand challenge though, it helps him save face in Japan because it makes it look like Melendez doesnt want the fight.

Aoki needs to stay in Japan & keep tapping out bums for a while. The Melendez loss didnt kill him off as a draw, but another lopsided loss probably would.
  • SHOGUN
    4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
    • Jul 2009

You don't think Aoki's chances of beat Melendez improve if it was in a ring and on his home turf?

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
      True Blue
      • Feb 2009

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Shogun
        You don't think Aoki's chances of beat Melendez improve if it was in a ring and on his home turf?
        Aoki did NOTHING in that fight. In fact, he did LESS than nothing. Ring, cage, yamma pit, elimination chamber, or Kimbo's backyard bbq...hard to think it would matter.

But my main point, is why would Melendez even want that fight? Besides, I don't think Aoki really wants it.

Comment

• Liquidrob
          Izzy is a bum
          • Feb 2009

It would look different in a ring in Japan, at least Aoki can butt scoot without having to stand up everytime, they didnt even give him a chance to scoot

The cage and ring, the rules are so different, I don't think Aoki wins but it would look different

Anyway, Strikeforce should send over Josh Thomson to fight Aoki, if he can get thru Josh than he can get Gil
          Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

Working...