X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rush
    vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

Rogan-vs-Lou DiBella "MMA-vs-Boxing"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtKx41UdCj0"]YouTube- Joe Rogan UFC vs Boxing[/ame]

Great watch.
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

This was from that glorious weekend that was UFC 71 in 2006. ESPN covered UFC for days like they never did before (and have never done since) to try and eventually lure them away from Spike.

So much buzz and Chuck ends up getting knocked out so quickly.

Comment

• Rush
      vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

You think we'll ever see the days of MMA on ESPN?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rush
        You think we'll ever see the days of MMA on ESPN?
        Yes. I'd say its a lock. They cover it, and they know the ratings and young demos it attracts.

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

UFC won't be on Spike forever, it's got to come to an end at some point

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Another org will get a live MMA event on ESPN before the UFC.

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Smug Krueger
              Well Bellator was on ESPN Deportes last year.

I'm not so sure another promotion will get to ESPN unless it's Strikeforce but they already have the deal with Showtime.

ESPN is not going to go low rent with an MMA promotion.

Comment

• JeremyHight
                I wish I was Scrubs
                • Feb 2009

I remember watching this live with a buddy of mine. Absolutely hilarious and why I see boxing as comparable to having a free throw contest in basketball. Free throws are a part of basketball, but there is SO much more. Boxing is a part of MMA, just a part. MMA is everything put together.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                  Beautiful Like Moses
                  • Oct 2008

Boxing guys are too emotional about their dying sport, its quite pathetic. And boxing fans always seem to be epically ignorant towards MMA, I cant get why they cant open their minds up a bit.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Smug Krueger
                    I disagree.

If ESPN wanted second rate MMA, they could have had it a million times. All of these groups that end up on FSN would sell their first borns to be on ESPN instead. They also could have moved Bellator up to ESPN or ESPN2 after it did pretty well on ESPN Deportes. They chose not to.

ESPN has been very careful to treat Dana well, because I believe they want UFC programming badly.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                      Well Bellator was on ESPN Deportes last year.

I'm not so sure another promotion will get to ESPN unless it's Strikeforce but they already have the deal with Showtime.

ESPN is not going to go low rent with an MMA promotion.
                      Strikeforce would dump Showtime in a second to go to ESPN.

If ESPN wanted MMA, they would have it. They are waitiing for UFC.

Comment

• Rush
                        vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

I would LOVE to have more MMA coverage on ESPN. Wish it didn't involve BS and politics. Im sick of Top 10's being all fucking baseball for 5-6 months.

Comment

• davie
                          Hey, relax guy!
                          • Oct 2008

I enjoy boxing more than I enjoy MMA. I preferred the earlier UFCs since they were a lot closer to representing a street fight. For me it is more aesthetically pleasing to watch 2 of the world's best boxers than watch any MMA title fight.

Rogan is wrong about there not being a next generation of boxers though.
                          Chad Dawson, Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell, Paul Williams, Andre Berto, Tim Bradley, Devon Alexander, Amir Khan (sick in my mouth), Juanma Lopez, Edwin Valero (lol), Nonito Donaire are all quality boxers with years left.

Comment

• SHOGUN
                            4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
                            Boxing guys are too emotional about their dying sport, its quite pathetic. And boxing fans always seem to be epically ignorant towards MMA, I cant get why they cant open their minds up a bit.
                            Hard to be open about another sport that sport's fanbase constantly makes inflammatory comments like the bolded.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                              Beautiful Like Moses
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Shogun
                              Hard to be open about another sport that sport's fanbase constantly makes inflammatory comments like the bolded.
                              Why? Its not MMA guys who are emotional about boxing. Most MMA fans were boxing fans originally. Comments like the bolded are based on boxing fans emotions, not vise versa. IMO you're completely off base on that. Boxing fans disliking MMA has nothing to do with me or any other fan, the whole "they're all hicks with tattoos" shit is just an excuse for losing those same fans to MMA.

Comment

Working...