Clear All
  • Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

Diaz vs Noons 1 Hour Special this Friday on Showtime

Replay of Noons vs Diaz 1, plus more fights from both guys

Showtime re-airs first Nick Diaz vs. K.J. Noons fight on Friday
    by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Sep 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm ET

Showtime officials have plucked from their EliteXc video archives the first fight between Nick Diaz and K.J. Noons.

The fighters, of course, meet Oct. 9 when Diaz puts his Strikeforce welterweight title on the line against Noons at "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons II."

The first meeting, held in the now-defunct EliteXC promotion, airs as part of an hour-long special on Showtime 2 this Friday at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

The fight took place at "EliteXC: Renegade" in Texas, and the organization's lightweight (160-pound) title was on the line. The ending of the fight resulted in one of the year's more volatile and bizarre moments. Officials tried multiple times to get the rematch together, but a contract dispute with Noons and the organization's eventual collapse kept it from happening. But with the signing of Noons earlier this year, Strikeforce officials secured the title fight.

The Showtime special, which also includes past fights with both fighters, re-airs Sept. 28 (10:10 p.m. ET/PT on Showtime 2) and Oct. 4 (10 p.m. ET/PT on Showtime 2). It'll also be available via Showtime On Demand beginning Sept. 24.

The additional fights for Diaz include those against Thomas Denny, Scott Smith and Marius Zaromskis. Noons' fights include James Edson Berto, Yves Edwards and Jorge Gurgel.

"Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons II" takes place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., and also airs on Showtime.

For the latest on the "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons," stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com
    Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

• SHOGUN
    4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
    • Jul 2009

This is a step in the right direction. I like it a lot.

A shame I'll have to watch Zaromskis absolutely get tooled again, though.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• Liquidrob
      Izzy is a bum
      • Feb 2009

What is up with Strikeforce promoting a fight? This just doesnt seem right

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

What ever happened to Edson Berto?

Comment

• Liquidrob
          Izzy is a bum
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          What ever happened to Edson Berto?
          Good question, I thought he was a pretty good fighter

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

I looked him up.

After dropping last three fights for EliteXC, he went 1-2 in 2009 fighting for some group called RFC - both losses were to somebody named Jason Ball, both via decision.

His only fight this year was a first round sub win over Greg Loughran in April.

His biggest win was probably his EliteXC win over VIctor Valenzuela via heel hook in under one minute. He has lost to every "name" he's faced.

His brother is a semi big name boxer, i'm surprised he doesnt get booked just based off of that. He's good enough to get by on his last name and has TV exposure with the 5 EliteXC fights.

Comment

• Liquidrob
              Izzy is a bum
              • Feb 2009

He had a good leg lock game, he went for it on KJ but Noons slipped out and than beat him up pretty good after that

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

His win over Loughran was via heel hook, and he has 8 (yes, EIGHT) heel hook wins in his career.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                  Giants in the Super Bowl
                  • Mar 2009

That's cool and all but....why not have a hype special with Diaz and Noons talking it up?

Comment

• Liquidrob
                    Izzy is a bum
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                    That's cool and all but....why not have a hype special with Diaz and Noons talking it up?
                    because they have a lot of fight footage and its much cheaper?

Comment

• EmpireWF
                      Giants in the Super Bowl
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Liquidrob
                      because they have a lot of fight footage and its much cheaper?
                      That's one option.

I'd rather get people talking with a hype special, get the fighters to talk about the fight, yada yada yada.

Besides, it's gotta be a drop in the bucket for Showtime to send cameras to California and wherever the hell Noons trains at, shoot some training footage and get interviews done.

ah well, it's better than nothing. Hopefully they'll add some context and it won't be just pure replays of fights like they randomly tend to do.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                        Izzy is a bum
                        • Feb 2009

tonight

Comment

Working...