Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KINGOFOOTBALL
    • Feb 2009

Bad gameplans..or stubborn fighters ?

Brock , Sexyama , BJ Penn imo all of them lost there fights because of some piss poor gameplanning ,preparation ,in fight adjusting.

Brock and BJ essentially come out and do the EXACT same thing they did there previous fights. To no shock the same results.
    Brock at the very least seemed to make some strange effort to throw wild strikes but what in his gameplan made him think he should have been in the box trading ?
    Was he not informed of Cains wrestling background ?
    Was the panic and fatigue button that accessible ?
    Did at any point someone say "hey Brock..this guy can wrestle and has good stamina..so if your first few attempts dont work..relax..and dont panic ,lets prepare you just in case"

BJs complete and utter failure to do anything different in the Edgar fight and his laughable corner advice made me lose a ton of respect for him.

Sexyama...well why have a skill set if youre not gonna use it. You dont hit as hard as Hendo but you have a wider skill set. Use it.

One thing I always loved about GPs is that the less time you have to prepare for a guy the more likely you are to just go balls to the wall and "let it all hang out". 2 top ranked fighters and a potential exciting asian fighter all wasted by terrible terrible gameplans and prep IMO.
    Best reason to have a license.
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Jorge Gurgel is a dumbass.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
      Beautiful Like Moses
      • Oct 2008

Gabe Gonzaga is another example of this.. dude comes in with no game plan what so ever. If he would fight smart he'd be a ton better off.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
        Gabe Gonzaga is another example of this.. dude comes in with no game plan what so ever. If he would fight smart he'd be a ton better off.
        Great point.

I forgot about him. He has a skill set but evidently he only allows himself to carry 1-2 to the ring at a time. No reason he should have lost to Schaub.
        Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
          • Feb 2009

I almost have to think some fighters are too stubborn to have a real "game plan". They simply believe they can impose their will and take the fight in whatever direction they want.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Disagree on Brock.

Clearly he wanted no part of a 5 round fight. Shit, he probably wanted no part of a 2 round fight. He clearly wanted to stun Cain early, hurt him, and either finish him fast or wear him down from there. He probably conceded he didn't have a wrestling edge or standup edge. His edge was power and explosiveness. That's what he tried to exploit, but it didn't work. Brock wasn't going to get into a grapppling battle and get worked on the bottom for 25 minutes, he was going to finish or get fiinished at the gate. Id fight that fight the ssame exact way.

Comment

• Primetime
              Thank You Prince
              • Nov 2008

I don't think Brock beats Cain with any kind of game-plan. He was outmatched in every aspect of that fight. I think he just needed more time to learn the sport rather than spending time on a game-plan. It would help, but it wouldn't have made the difference in that fight IMO.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                Izzy is a bum
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                Disagree on Brock.

Clearly he wanted no part of a 5 round fight. Shit, he probably wanted no part of a 2 round fight. He clearly wanted to stun Cain early, hurt him, and either finish him fast or wear him down from there. He probably conceded he didn't have a wrestling edge or standup edge. His edge was power and explosiveness. That's what he tried to exploit, but it didn't work. Brock wasn't going to get into a grapppling battle and get worked on the bottom for 25 minutes, he was going to finish or get fiinished at the gate. Id fight that fight the ssame exact way.
                pretty much, Cain has better cardio, better striking, better wrestling, Brock just had size and strength on him

Best bet was to blitz him and try win early, like I said in my other thread, he shouldnt really have been in this position and this wasnt a really winnable fight IMO, he just isnt that good of a MMA fighter at this point, he is lucky Carwin has less of a gas tank than him
                Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• Liquidrob
                  Izzy is a bum
                  • Feb 2009

One thing about BJ, with his skills and talent he should have changed things up, but his mentallity is 'just scrap', he isnt a game planner and never will be

He doesnt have the right coaches, corner and just trains with his boys, he just gets by on talent, he still can beat 95% of the LW's right now, Edgar is just a bad match up for him
                  Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

Working...