X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost56
    True Blue
    • Feb 2009

"Kid" Yamamoto's First UFC Fight Will Not Be Televised

"UFC Prelims" return to Spike TV for UFC 126 with Cerrone-Kelly, Mendes-Omigawa

While recent UFC preliminary-card specials have been slotted for ION Television, Facebook and UFC.com, Spike TV is still in the mix.

Sources close to the organizations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Spike TV's popular "UFC Prelims" specials will return in 2011, and the first will air next month as part of UFC 126.

The Feb. 5 broadcast is expected to feature lightweights Donald Cerrone (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Paul Kelly (11-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and featherweights Chad Mendes (9-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Michihiro Omigawa (12-8-1 MMA, 0-2 UFC).

UFC 126 takes place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on Super Bowl weekend. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view.

Despite the planned broadcast, a source told MMAjunkie.com the UFC and Spike TV haven't finalized a contract renewal, which is needed for 2012 and beyond. However, the "UFC Prelims" specials are expected to go on as planned for 2011.

UFC 126 marks the UFC debuts of former WEC fighters Cerrone and Mendes. Omigawa, who recently competed for the WEC, returns to the UFC for the first time since a two-fight stint concluded in 2008.

The UFC first offered a PPV teaser broadcast for UFC 103 in 2009, when the UFC went head-to-head with a boxing PPV broadcast featuring Floyd Mayweather vs. Juan Manuel Marquez. The specials proved effective enough at generating last-minute PPV buys that officials from the UFC and the organization's longtime cable partner decided to make them a regular offering.

The specials consistently draw between 1.1 million and 1.7 million viewers per event on Spike TV. (By comparison, ION scored 829,000 viewers for UFC 125.)

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

* Champ Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort (for middleweight title)
    * Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin
    * Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha
    * Ryan Bader vs. Jon Jones
    * Antonio Banuelos vs. Miguel Torres

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Paul Kelly vs. Donald Cerrone
    * Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa

PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised)

* Gabe Ruediger vs. Paul Taylor
    * Demetrious Johnson vs. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto
    * Kyle Kingsbury vs. Ricardo Romero
    * Mike Pierce vs. Kenny Robertson
    pretty crazy how he goes from huge mega-star over in Japan to not even making the prelim broadcast over here. theres always a chance it could make the broadcast if its a quick fight but still unlikely to happen.
  • Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
      True Blue
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Liquidrob
      good point. i concur

Comment

• SHOGUN
        4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
        • Jul 2009

Not really surprised. KID is pretty irrelevant in MMA right now and his last few performances have been shit.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
          Beautiful Like Moses
          • Oct 2008

Dear god.. noone wants to watch Chad Mendes, even if Omigawa is involved.

Comment

• EmpireWF
            Giants in the Super Bowl
            • Mar 2009

Omigawa will end him.

Comment

• SHOGUN
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
              Dear god.. noone wants to watch Chad Mendes, even if Omigawa is involved.
              Agreed, but ZUFFA has been trying to push this kid to the moon for some reason.
              Originally posted by EmpireWF
              Omigawa will end him.
              One can only hope.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
                True Blue
                • Feb 2009

apparently now the kid-johnson fight will air is some fashion

Dana White, without saying too much, has hinted that he has something planned for the Kid Yamamoto vs. Johnson fight airing.

Dana White also hinted in a earlier interview saying he is working on something for the Kid Yamamoto fight, making it possible for fans to watch it, either on the Prelims, or viewing from a website.

From Dana White’s Twitter:

dana white... a man of the people :applause:

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
                  True Blue
                  • Feb 2009

the fight will be streamed live on facebook (stream starts at 8:25 ET)

Fans hoping to watch the UFC debut of Japanese star Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto against World Extreme Cagefighting standout Demetrious Johnson are in luck, as the promotion announced today that the non-televised bantamweight bout from UFC 126 will stream live on its Facebook page.

Comment

• SHOGUN
                    • Jul 2009

I hope KID comes in motivated and takes advantage of this opportunity.

Comment

Working...