Clear All
  • Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

Strikeforce looking to take on Japan

2 stories in 1 thread

1st, the April HW GP show might be in Japan

Strikeforce sets April date for Grand Prix

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The second quarterfinal leg of Strikeforce's World Grand Prix: Heavyweight Tournament will take place April 9 at a to-be-determined location.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed the date to ESPN.com Thursday afternoon following the final press conference for a Jan. 29 Showtime-televised card at the HP Pavilion featuring the promotion's welterweight and middleweight titles.

While venues in the U.S., Canada and Brazil remain in play for a card featuring Alistair Overeem against Fabricio Werdum, Josh Barnett versus Brett Rogers, and, Coker confirmed, the return of Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez, and with his opponent almost entirely confirmed to be Tatsuya Kawajiri Japan appears to be the front runner.

Sotaro Shinoda, a representative for Real Entertainment, the Japanese company that co-produced Pride events before partnering with FEG to form Dream in 2008, is expected to meet with Coker Thursday evening to discuss details about bringing the Showtime-televised card to Tokyo.

Strikeforce and Dream have partnered several times in fighter exchanges. The April card would mark Strikeforce's first event in Japan -- a goal of Coker's since he entered the mixed martial arts business in 2006. Producing a live broadcast to the U.S. at 10 p.m. ET Saturday, would require a start time in Japan on April 10 at noon. Coker ruled out famed Saitama Super Arena, host to many Pride and Dream events, as the location.

The eight-fighter tournament commences Feb. 12 in East Rutherford, N.J., when Fedor Emelianenko fights Antonio Silva, and Sergei Kharitonov faces Andrei Arlovski.
    2nd, Striekforce and Real Entertainment planning a LW GP

Strikeforce/real entertainment planning 8 man tourny in Japan
    SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Dream co-producer Real Entertainment plans on forging ahead in the turbulent Japanese mixed martial arts promotion business with an eight-fighter lightweight tournament starting in May, sources tell ESPN.com.

HDNet confirmed to ESPN.com that they would broadcast the tournament stateside.

The field would consist of Strikeforce and Real Entertainment fighters, possibly but not necessarily under the Dream banner, and likely without FEG, which has been its promotional partner since Pride Fighting Championships was purchased by Zuffa in 2007.

"We're committed to keeping our fighters active, but if we can help Dream and have our fighters go over there and participate in their tournament, why not?" said Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, who confirmed ongoing discussions between his promotion and Real Entertainment for the May event. "If things go the way they should, I feel confident we'll send a bunch of guys over."

Strikeforce could provide up to five fighters. Japan's Shinya Aoki, Tatsuya Kawajiri and Katsunori Kikuno are also expected to participate
    Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

• Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

DREAM is all but dead. Its highly doubtful they run another show unless a miracle investor pops up.

And it was pretty obvious that Coker would have to take Barnett international, so putting him on the same show as Overeem (who would have a tough time drawing in the US) and Kawajiri/Melendez made sense.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

DREAM is all but dead. Its highly doubtful they run another show unless a miracle investor pops up.

And it was pretty obvious that Coker would have to take Barnett international, so putting him on the same show as Overeem (who would have a tough time drawing in the US) and Kawajiri/Melendez made sense.

Comment

• Liquidrob
        Izzy is a bum
        • Feb 2009

Its not DREAM

Comment

• SHOGUN
          4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
          • Jul 2009

DREAM's situation is weird, but props for Coker still wanting to bring in fighters over to compete.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• SHOGUN
            • Jul 2009

Grand Prix Revival FTW!

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Liquidrob
              Its not DREAM
              Right, what I'm saying is there will be a MMA void left behind when FEG folds up shop, and Coker is smart to be laying the groundwork for getting his foot in the Japanese door. UFC purchased PRIDE four years ago and has made no inroads into Japan. Coker has allies and business assosiates over there already,which is crucial to doing business in that culture because they are wary of westeners when it comes to this stuff. This is why Dana largely gave up.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                Izzy is a bum
                • Feb 2009

If Strikeforce/Showtime can get Real Entertainment to help the production side it would be great, show would have that Pride feel

If they do the April card in Japan with Overeem, Barnett, Mousasi and maybe Ishii it will be a big attendence number

Comment

• SHOGUN
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Liquidrob
                  If Strikeforce/Showtime can get Real Entertainment to help the production side it would be great, show would have that Pride feel

If they do the April card in Japan with Overeem, Barnett, Mousasi and maybe Ishii it will be a big attendence number
                  Strikeforce + Real Entertainment's productions would be fapworthy. They tend to do a good job with storylines, something that the UFC even struggles with.

As for the LW GP, I hope Strikeforce doesn't throw in all the big dogs. I would like to see the guys on the come up like Evangelista, Wilcox, Masvidal and Healy/Beerbrohm.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

I disagree to some extent on some of the production details. When it comes to hype videos and such, yes, I think the Japanese blow away what SF produces (hire Heyman already, jeez). But I don't think Japan needs PRIDE v3.0. Maybe a fresh look, with american style presentation, is what Japan needs to frrshen things up and give the people something new. Screaming banshee lady, elaborate opening sequences, and over the top pagentry is the past, and should be left there. SF should bring what they do to Japan, including the cage, and do what they do.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                      Izzy is a bum
                      • Feb 2009

Agreed, they need it to have the Strikeforce feel but with the Japanese style for a show in Japan

Cage is a must, I dont see SF getting away from that, I think SF's ramp and little fireworks suck, so more of the Pride style would make it bigger

Comment

• SHOGUN
                        • Jul 2009

Agreed about the excessive flair. All the flash can be put aside and it would be more cost effective. Strikeforce is still a bit hokey in comparison and could take some notes from them. Sengoku has a very tame production (very similar to SF) in comparison, but they execute it really well. They wouldn't need to go beyond that honestly. The biggest thing for me is that I just want Strikeforce to bring over the hype/promo vids from RE and incorporate that into what they do. Their Challengers pre-fight videos are bland as shit.

Agree to disagree about Lenne Hardt. She's awesome.

Another plus with all these tournaments is that it helps build credibility to their weight classes and titles. I hope Coker can be successful and run these for the rest of his divisions.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                          Izzy is a bum
                          • Feb 2009

From Josh Gross's twitter:

Don't know which venue in Tokyo area, but Strikeforce found one. Finalizing TV negotiations are the next step to getting it done on 4/9.

Comment

• clovett
                            • Mar 2009

And so begins the takeover.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

Maybe one of the smaller places that pro wrestling runs, like Differ Ariake, Budokon Hall, or Sumo Hall. All have great atmosphere when the crowd is hot, but I dont know how they would come off on TV for MMA.

Comment

Working...