X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Strikeforce three man booth is getting worse and worse

As i've said from day one, a three man booth with two analysts is bad enough, but when its two play by play men, it's just plain brutal.

Nobody in that booth has a role. Gus's job as play by play man should be to call the action, set up his analyst when needed, and direct traffic while controlling the booth. The problem, is he seems to lack confidence and conviction, and i think it has a lot to do with Mauro, who tries to stay out of the way, but ends up doing a psuedo pbp/analyst combo, which doesnt work. He either ends up talking over Frank, or instictively taking over the pbp. One has to go. Either Mauro is the face of Strikeforce, or move on and let Gus grow into the role.

Frank is usually terrible. His "keys to the cage" are a waste of time, nothing but dumbed down drivel. He needs to stop talking down to the audience and quit mailing it in. "Mix it up" is the best he could come up with as the key for Bigfoot? C'mon. He has good insights during the fights, when he is being natural, and is usally right when he tells us what the fighter is trying to do or what he thinks they are thinking. Why he chooses to dumb it down the rest of the time is beyond my understanding. Let the audience come up to your level, or let them fall behind. Give them some credit. Stop talking down to them.

What ends up happening, is Mauro does all of the talking, doing both jobs by himself, because Gus is tentative and fails to take control, and Frank disappears for minutes at a time. And Frank needs to start giving stronger opinions. Ive never seen an analyst say "I dont know" so many times.

Mauro: "Could Fedor be effective at 205"

Frank: "..." (rambles about something else)

Mauro: (doing Gus's job) "I ask again, cold Fedor be effective at 205"

Frank: "I dont know"

Give me a fucking break, if you cant think on your feet, get the fuck out of the booth. He does this constantly.

Gus: "Frank, who won that round?"

Frank: "I dont know"

His job is to know., not to give us lame "keys to the cage" with no depth that are basically just ads for the video game.

Give me Mauro/Quados or Mauro/Quadros/Miletich any day. Much better chemistry, defined roles, smoother broadcast.
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Shamrock does do the 'i don't know' bit too often. But when he's in the groove and the flow of things, he's pretty good.

The booth does get a bit off kilter when Gus is with them because he's so rigid in his MMA delivery. Mauro obviously has more experience doing it and his own style and it occasionally runs into Gus' lines.

It is weird they have the 2 PBP guys there but CBS made the decision to bring Gus in and Showtime apparently likes using him for the big shows. Ah well.

Personally, my favorite SF team is Mauro/Frank/Pat. Having another fighter in the booth seemingly keeps the flow going because if Frank shuts up, Pat comes in and vice versa when Mauro isn't trying to be too cute.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

I agree, Frank is better when Pat is there.

I love Gus, he is a very high caliber hoops announcer, and very good at football. He just doesnt seem comfortable with MMA, and I was sure he would eventually be great. It isnt working out, im done defending him.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

For perspective, run through the Fedor/Bigfoot fight in your mind, and imagine Schiavello or Rogan in the booth. The energy level would have been raised dramatically. Say what you will about Rogan, and he does tend to root for guys, but he is passionate and knowledgeable enough to be credible and his energy level helps the product. Schiavello is the best at getting big moments over, and again, brings energy.

Energy and timing make a dull fight watchable, a watchable fight good, and a good fight great.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

And one more thing, I love the guy, but Bas was his usual terrible self calling the prelims on HDNet. Vastly overated in the booth. He's too goofy for the role. I never liked the way he calls a fight.

Comment

• SHOGUN
            4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
            • Jul 2009

Schiavello would have sold that fight like it was the end of the world. There are many times I wish it was him the booth instead of Mauro.

Watching Gus do MMA is a bit depressing. It's like someone keeps slipping Ambien in his food before the show. He's not very good at MMA as it is and I think his failure to develop is because of Mauro. IMO, having them there is a bit redundant and ultimately Mauro's confidence and experience wins out during the show.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• SHOGUN
              4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
              • Jul 2009

Damn DP.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

Show me a booth with three guys in it, and I'll show you a terrible broadcast. This is true for all sports.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                  Izzy is a bum
                  • Feb 2009

Gus fucked it up, I like him, but something doesnt work when he is there

The best show they had was there last one, Mauro/Frank and Pat, it was 3 guys and it was solid
                  Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• Liquidrob
                    Izzy is a bum
                    • Feb 2009

Drop Mauro, go with The Voice, Frank and Pat

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Liquidrob
                      Schiavello would be too much for the mainstream american sports fan to handle.

Frank is great during the flow of the fight, but is dreadful otherwise. Tell him to call me, I'll help him work it out, I'm all for the betterment of the product.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                        Izzy is a bum
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        Schiavello would be too much for the mainstream american sports fan to handle.

Frank is great during the flow of the fight, but is dreadful otherwise. Tell him to call me, I'll help him work it out, I'm all for the betterment of the product.
                        There last show of Mauro, Frank and Pat was there best, to say they are getting worse and worse would bw wrong

They had the right mix and than screwed it up with Gus coming back

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

I agree.

They should let Gus do a show on his own without Ranallo to see if he is better without the security blanket.

Comment

• Steel Mamba
                            Nasty
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Liquidrob
                            That would be awesome. On the plus side the rest of their production was a bit better than usual. The entrances were better, they still need to lose the ramp though and the earlier fights had a rushed feel to them.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                              • Feb 2009

Frank is awful. Always has been.

Even worse with the other two. Mauro or Frank should be removed.
                              Gus Johnsons ridiculous energy is far too valuable. He just needs confidence and experience.
                              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

Working...