X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calgaryballer
    Tiote!
    • Mar 2009

Mousasi vs R Gracie

Rob was just talking about Mousasi being a good match for Anderson. How about a 4-0 fighter?

Is Strikeforce Really Considering Roger Gracie vs Gegard Mousasi? - Bloody Elbow

I'll echo the article, it seems like they are throwing Gracie to the wolves extremely early just because they have nothing else for him to do
  • Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

First off, where did this guy come up with this statement? ‘Giving that they don’t book undercard fights with fighters under contract’ WTF?

So you don’t think Gurgel, Bowling, Coy, Moore, etc..don’t have contracts? If you make a statement like that you shouldn’t be even ‘writing’ these articles

Funny now when guys like Roger get pushed and a big fight it’s because they ‘have nothing for him’ and Brock is getting a title shot after being 2-1, not being a competitive wrestler for years where as Roger is currently the most dominate and arguably greatest sub grappler OF ALL TIME

To answer CB’s statement, styles make fights, Mousasi could give And1 a great fight IMO, but Roger can be a nightmare for Mousasi, his TD defense is lacking and if it goes to the mat which it might, Roger will sub him, he is that good

He would make short work of Silva on the ground also, he isn’t a math teacher or a wrestler who gets tapped rolling with his dog
    Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• calgaryballer
      Tiote!
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Liquidrob
      First off, where did this guy come up with this statement? ‘Giving that they don’t book undercard fights with fighters under contract’ WTF?

So you don’t think Gurgel, Bowling, Coy, Moore, etc..don’t have contracts? If you make a statement like that you shouldn’t be even ‘writing’ these articles

Funny now when guys like Roger get pushed and a big fight it’s because they ‘have nothing for him’ and Brock is getting a title shot after being 2-1, not being a competitive wrestler for years where as Roger is currently the most dominate and arguably greatest sub grappler OF ALL TIME

To answer CB’s statement, styles make fights, Mousasi could give And1 a great fight IMO, but Roger can be a nightmare for Mousasi, his TD defense is lacking and if it goes to the mat which it might, Roger will sub him, he is that good

He would make short work of Silva on the ground also, he isn’t a math teacher or a wrestler who gets tapped rolling with his dog
      I believe they were making reference to the non-televised portion of the events, which are traditionally farmed out to local promoters...

Gurgel was third last fight on SF: Houston, third on SF Challengers 2, and Main Event on SF Challengers 4, 'undercard', but not what they were referring to

Their point is that there are a ton more spots for guys to fight in the UFC, under UFC contract, then there are in Strikeforce. For example, UFC127 has 6 undercard fights that will either be dark, on Facebook, or on ION. Those opportunities don't exist in SF and thus they can't cycle through their roster as quickly as they may want. Guys HAVE to be on the main card.

To break it down further, Strikeforce ran 15 cards in 2010. At 5 main fights a show, thats only 75 fights/year. There may be more spots on Challengers cards, but looking through the fighters on those cards I don't think so

The UFC ran 24 events last year, and can match make for every spot on the card. An average event has 11 fights on it. That means there was 264 fights put on by the UFC last year, with opportunities for contracted fighters.

SF fighters can make up for this difference by fighting over seas (and in K-1 for someone like Mousasi), but there remains a limited number of spots for guys to fight and grow in. I believe the point of the article is that because of the limitations in space, a fight that would make sense for Mousasi (vs Kyle) is pushed away because they don't have the room on a card for someone with little name value.

Comment

• Liquidrob
        Izzy is a bum
        • Feb 2009

The point is he is wrong, a little research would help this clown, but its easier to just make false statements

Off the top of my head, guys under contract on the undercard in the past, Gurgel, Bowling, Woodley, Galvao, Cormier, OSP, Coy, Moore, GDR, Fancy Pants, Shoalin, Healy, etc...

OMG THE UFC HAS MORE CARD SPACE! NEXT YOU WILL TELL ME THEY HAVE MORE FIGHTERS!

The funny part is, you back this guy up, lol

Also, a little more research or just keeping up with the MMA scene would tell this goofball that Kyle is still healing from a broken hand from the Big Foot fight, but I guess it's just better to make stuff up
        Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

Working...