X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Pat Healy vs. MAXI in September

An unannounced Strikeforce show in September will be the host for this awesome lightweight match-up.

Shogun knows more about Maximo Blanco, but all I do know is the man has been a knockout machine in Sengoku the past couple years.

• SHOGUN
    4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
    • Jul 2009

Whoa. This is a pretty large jump in competition for Maxi. I figured he was going to get someone like Gurgel or Evangelista, but Thomson is a pretty bad hand to draw for a stateside debut.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by SHOGUN
      Whoa. This is a pretty large jump in competition for Maxi. I figured he was going to get someone like Gurgel or Evangelista, but Thomson is a pretty bad hand to draw for a stateside debut.
      I hate the SF booking lately. I have no idea if its the Zuffa influence, but they aren't building guys up at all.

For example, why is OSP getting thrown to the wolves against a hungry King Mo?

Comment

• Liquidrob
        Izzy is a bum
        • Feb 2009

rough fight, maxi losses at this point
        Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          Who else are they gonna throw at Mo? It's not like they have a big roster to choose from. Antwain Britt is fighting at the end of June elsewhere.

I could see Babalu or Mike Kyle, but even Kyle is coming back from a broken hand and I doubt he's ready for the summer.

Comment

• SHOGUN
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
            I hate the SF booking lately. I have no idea if its the Zuffa influence, but they aren't building guys up at all.

Like it's said before, it's obvious that ZUFFA has their hands in the booking now.

And King Mo is facing Roger Gracie. Maybe you mean Feijao Cavalcante?

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by SHOGUN
              Like it's said before, it's obvious that ZUFFA has their hands in the booking now.

And King Mo is facing Roger Gracie. Maybe you mean Feijao Cavalcante?
              Yeah I got mixed up because Mo was origianlly facing OSP in Dallas.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                Who else are they gonna throw at Mo? It's not like they have a big roster to choose from. Antwain Britt is fighting at the end of June elsewhere.

I could see Babalu or Mike Kyle, but even Kyle is coming back from a broken hand and I doubt he's ready for the summer.
                The point is, we keep seeing them rush these prospects lately. That's not how you make stars or build towards bigger fights.

Let these guys develop and form a rep. I just hate hot shotting prospects, I prefer the slow build.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                  Beautiful Like Moses
                  • Oct 2008

Yeah the hot shotting of guys has been brutal. Its weird too because they didnt/havent taken that approach with everyone. Bones got a really slow build, and it was beneficial to him IMO. Im still trying to figure out what exactly the UFC was planning on sending Olivera out there vs Jim Miller a few months back.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
                    Yeah the hot shotting of guys has been brutal. Its weird too because they didnt/havent taken that approach with everyone. Bones got a really slow build, and it was beneficial to him IMO. Im still trying to figure out what exactly the UFC was planning on sending Olivera out there vs Jim Miller a few months back.
                    Jones is a great example of how you can make a guy shine bringing him up the ladder slowly.

King Mo should be fed a bum, and showcased a bit coming back from a layoff. Gracie should be fighting a mid level guy with no ground skill to keep building him up. Now its just some fight in the middle where someone ends up buried.

Comment

• SHOGUN
                      • Jul 2009

Josh Thomson injured.

Josh Thomson scratched from "Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov
                      by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:25 pm ET
                      The injury bug has bitten Josh Thomson (18-4 MMA, 9-2 SF) once again.

The former Strikeforce champ has been forced to withdraw from a fight with Maximo Blanco (8-2-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) at "Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov" due to an injured foot.

The event takes place Sept. 10 at Cincinnati's U.S. Bank Arena, and Thomson was slated to compete on the Showtime-televised main card.

Word of the injury first spread on popular MMA forum "The Underground," and MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) subsequently confirmed it with a source close to the fighter. It's unknown whether Strikeforce is seeking a replacement.

The frequently injured Thomson hasn't fought since DREAM "Dynamite!! 2010," where Tatsuya Kawajiri outpointed him. That setback came three months after a narrow decision win over Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante at "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons II."

Thomson, a product of the American Kickboxing Academy, won the Strikeforce lightweight strap in June 2008 by upsetting Gilbert Melendez – only to relinquish the belt a year and a half later to the Cesar Gracie disciple.

"The Punk" has suffered from a toe injury before that's kept him out of action. His rematch with Melendez was delayed when he broke his leg in training.

Former King of Pancrase Blanco is perhaps best known for a seven-fight stint in World Victory Road's Sengoku event series. He is riding a six-fight win streak, which included a unanimous-decision victory over Won Sik Park in December. The previous five victories, including wins over Rodrigo Damm and Katsuya Inoue, all came via knockout. In fact, seven of his eight career wins have come via stoppage, four in the first round.

For more on "Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov," stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                        Giants in the Super Bowl
                        • Mar 2009

Comment

• EmpireWF
                          Giants in the Super Bowl
                          • Mar 2009

Pat Healey vs. Maxi now.

Comment

• SHOGUN
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                            Pat Healey vs. Maxi now.
                            Fuuuuuuuuuck. Healy is the prospect de-railer. Healy could easily grind this one out.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                              Beautiful Like Moses
                              • Oct 2008

Healy by destruction.

Comment

Working...