X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

5,469 people paid to see this

WWF @ East Rutherford, NJ - Meadowlands - July 9, 1987 (5,469)

SD Jones defeated Steve Lombardi
    Jerry Allen pinned Rick Rude with a sunset flip
    Scott Casey defeated Iron Mike Sharpe
    Killer Kahn pinned Brady Boone
    Koko B. Ware pinned Nikolai Volkoff
    Don Muraco defeated Bob Orton
    Jim Brunzell & the Junkyard Dog defeated Kamala & Sika
    George Steele defeated Danny Davis in a steel cage match by escaping through the door
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that they used to run three tours at once back in those days, but it's hard to imagine why a New York area show was given what had to be the C-team. Usually third rate towns would get a show like this at the local convention center. No wonder they barely drew 25% capacity to a 20k building, look at that lineup!

No less than 6 TV jobbers worked the show, Jim Brunzell was in the semi, and the main event is beyond bad. DANNY DAVIS, headliner.

And check out the bold...jobber Jerry Allen defeats Rick Rude.

What a weird show.
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Other shows that day for comparison

WWF @ Hammond, IN - Civic Center - July 9, 1987
    Hillbilly Jim (w/ Little Beaver) vs. King Kong Bundy
    Billy Jack Haynes vs. Hercules
    Ken Patera vs. Paul Orndorff
    Also included Lanny Poffo, Tiger Chung Lee, Outback Jack, and the Dingo Warrior

WWF @ Hartford, CT - Civic Center - July 9, 1987 (4,000)
    Featured an appearance by Mr. T
    Jose Estrada pinned Jose Luis Rivera
    Demolition defeated Paul Roma & Jim Powers
    Butch Reed pinned Tito Santana by using the ropes for leverage
    Brutus Beefcake pinned Dino Bravo
    Rick Martel & Tom Zenk defeated the Islanders
    The One Man Gang pinned Mario Mancini
    WWF IC Champion the Honkytonk Man defeated Randy Savage via disqualification

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Interesting.

Looks like Hogan was off. This is Summer of '87 after WrestleMania III.

Clearly Hartford got the A-team. The other two are a tossup...both are total shit.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Also, looks like Ricky Steamboat was gone already, just months after WM III.

Demolition, Rick Rude, The "Dingo" (Ultimate) Warrior, and One Man Gang were on their first tours.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Check out this tight little match between the man who beat Rick Rude, Jerry Allen, and fellow jobber Jose Estrada. Surprisingly good. Estrada could really go, I remember him being good, but he looks really good here. This match has to be 1987 or 1988, Estrada would end up as one half of the Conquistadors probably shortly after this match.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGhq2pm6Ugs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGhq2pm6Ugs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
            Other shows that day for comparison

WWF @ Hammond, IN - Civic Center - July 9, 1987
            Hillbilly Jim (w/ Little Beaver) vs. King Kong Bundy
            Billy Jack Haynes vs. Hercules
            Ken Patera vs. Paul Orndorff
            Also included Lanny Poffo, Tiger Chung Lee, Outback Jack, and the Dingo Warrior

WWF @ Hartford, CT - Civic Center - July 9, 1987 (4,000)
            Featured an appearance by Mr. T
            Jose Estrada pinned Jose Luis Rivera
            Demolition defeated Paul Roma & Jim Powers
            Butch Reed pinned Tito Santana by using the ropes for leverage
            Brutus Beefcake pinned Dino Bravo
            Rick Martel & Tom Zenk defeated the Islanders
            The One Man Gang pinned Mario Mancini
            WWF IC Champion the Honkytonk Man defeated Randy Savage via disqualification
            Speaking of The Conquistadors, I just noticed that they faced each other in Hartford. History was made July 9, 1987.

Comment

• manchild24
              Kyle got fired
              • Nov 2008

ahhh the sunset flip. I remember for years no one could get out of that move. Then who knew it would take a leg scissors to the head to escape.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

It appears Randy Savage is also a babyface by this point. I dont recall the angle where he turned, although I do recall a Saturday Nights Main Event where Honkeytonk Man shoved down Elizabeth following a Randy Savage/Bret Hart match. That might explain the house show program.

Anyone remember Randy turning around this time, and what the angle was?

Comment

• EmpireWF
                  Giants in the Super Bowl
                  • Mar 2009

Looks like it was a gradual face turn for Randy in 87. Even for the KOTR house show (month before the SNME with Honky), he faced mainly heels to win it (Volkoff, Danny Davis, Bundy). It was stamped with the SNME angle though.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                    Looks like it was a gradual face turn for Randy in 87. Even for the KOTR house show (month before the SNME with Honky), he faced mainly heels to win it (Volkoff, Danny Davis, Bundy). It was stamped with the SNME angle though.
                    I could be suffering from faded memories, but I don't recall the Savage/Hart match being a heel vs. heel match at SNME. If memory serves, Savage was already doing the "gentlemanly" act with Elizabeth (holding the ropes open, being nice to her, as opposed to the bully/wifebeater act) by this point.

What was the date of the SNME airing?

I guess he just started working as a face one day, with no angle? Odd.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                      Giants in the Super Bowl
                      • Mar 2009

SNME aired in October.

From what I've checked out, from the summer on, Randy was less of a dick to Elizabeth and with growing cheers, they just switched him.

Comment

• jms493
                        • Feb 2009

how much?

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                          It appears Randy Savage is also a babyface by this point. I dont recall the angle where he turned, although I do recall a Saturday Nights Main Event where Honkeytonk Man shoved down Elizabeth following a Randy Savage/Bret Hart match. That might explain the house show program.

Anyone remember Randy turning around this time, and what the angle was?
                          That is about right. After the Steamboat match, he was on a slow burn to being a face. The Honkey match was to hold him over until WrestleMania. If you recall, that is when Honkey was going nuts saying he was the GOAT IC Champ and Macho, coming off a 14 month reign took offense to it. The end result was him winning the World Title at WrestleMania IV.

Comment

Working...