• Jun 2009

:yawkey:
          Originally posted by mgoblue2290
          If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• Rudi
            #CyCueto
            • Nov 2008

Inter and Manchester City have opened talks on two sensational deals involving Carlos Tevez, Samuel Eto'o and Maicon.

Comment

• Prodigal Son
              The Greatest
              • Feb 2009

Article on how these "Big-Time" Friendlies actually do more damage to the MLS.

'Soccer' in the USA is one of the fastest emerging football markets in the world, of that there is no doubt. A glance at the steady expansion in the MLS over the last five years is testament to that, with successful franchises having sprung up recently in Seattle, Toronto, Philadelphia and Portland.

Matches are now played in front of capacity crowds at soccer-specific stadiums - as opposed to the barely full NFL stadiums that were used to host the sub-standard matches of earlier years - with an array of international stars such as David Beckham, Thierry Henry, Rafael Marquez and Torsten Frings turning out for their respective teams. The arenas alone

So business is booming - in football at least - in the USA and, inevitably, the European giants of the game want a piece of that American pie.

Dominant football powers such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United and Juventus toured the country this year, playing money-spinning friendlies against eachother as well as MLS teams.

While the game's senior officials, like MLS Commissioner Don Garber, were licking their lips at the prospect of revenue opportunities and media interest brought about by these matches, the teams and hardcore fans are suffering.

The MLS fixture list is among the most complicated and congested in football. Given the country's size, the travel involved and varying types of weather, the league starts in March and finishes seven months later in October.

This means that when European teams embark on their pre-season tours of the States, they play MLS teams during one of the most important times of their season: the lead-up to the playoffs.

Manchester United To put this in perspective, the MLS schedule is so tight that they have no international breaks, meaning league fixtures are often played without their best players who are on international duty. And it’s the fans who suffer.

Essentially, the fan backlash is aimed at the MLS hierarchy and their club’s owners. The latter hike up ticket prices for these showpiece games, while the former seemingly value these meaningless matches over their league and international fixtures.

The friendlies do make a lot of money for US soccer, yet raising the profile of MLS through these exhibition matches has backfired.

Manchester United's summer tour followed a similar escapade last year, during which they were humbled 2-1 by Sporting Kansas on a largely unsuccessful, results-wise, time of it. This year, they returned with more purpose, more intent, beating the MLS All-Stars and Chicago Fire comprehensively, after starting their tour with a 7-0 drubbing over Seattle Sounders.

Sigi Schmidt’s Seattle Sounders first team was 1-0 down at half time, but with the taxing MLS schedule looming in the not-to-distant future, he sent out his reserves for the second half. Understandable from Schmidt, but harming for the MLS product.

One of the key issues faced by the MLS in the USA and Canada is it's widely thought to be of a poor standard compared to other national top flights. Being the way America is, they want, and expect, to be the best.

Manchester United beating one of the leading teams 7-0, and backing it up comfortably with a 4-0 win over MLS All-Stars certainly leads sets of the insecurity within the fan base. Manchester City’s Mario Balotelli and his ridiculous showboating against LA Galaxy was also seen as an act of disrespect.

MLS teams took such a battering from international sides it prompted Garber to publicly criticise their performances: 'Our view is that if we’re going to play these games, we ought to play to win,' the MLS commissioner said.

MLS teams are at fault as much as the league is. Simply put, if these friendlies put any more strain on their schedules, they should refuse them. But would the owners of fledgling sports franchises want to miss out on the revenue streams? Doubtful.

New York Red Bulls have no shortage of money, yet they travelled all the way to London for a meaningless friendly tournament. Though they returned with the Emirates Cup, drawing with Arsenal and beating PSG, few believe it was worth sacrificing the energy of their under-performing players?

Seattle Sounders are one of the most profitable teams in American soccer. Seattle also happens to be located in the very north-west of the USA meaning extensive travelling to away games. They also play in the CONCACAF Champions League, meaning even more matches are to be played.

Yet Seattle still took up the chance to play Manchester United in the most important and busy part of their season. Why?

It appears football fans from all over the globe are in conflict with the football powers that be, and supporters of MLS teams are no different.

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
                I literally know nothing.
                • Jul 2009

They need to move their season into the fall.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                  Tiote!
                  • Mar 2009

And compete against NFL, NHL and NBA? I can't see that happening. Where will the TV coverage be?

Comment

• Chrispy
                    Needs a hobby
                    • Dec 2008

The US roster was announced,

At first when I didn't see Dempsey I was like WTF, but then I found out that Jozy Altidore & Clint Dempsey were left off the USMNT due to club commitments for the start of the European season.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION - Detailed Roster
                    GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)
                    DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)
                    MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), José Torres (Pachuca)
                    FORWARDS (5): Freddy Adu (Benfica), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                      The Greatest
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fappin Raptor
                      They need to move their season into the fall.
                      Yeah, because playing in Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Toronto, Vancouver, New York, Philly, Boston, and DC in the fall/winter would be so fucking great.

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
                        I literally know nothing.
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by calgaryballer
                        And compete against NFL, NHL and NBA? I can't see that happening. Where will the TV coverage be?
                        This is the biggest problem for soccer here. There's just more sports to compete with than overseas. Most international tournaments happen in the summer and European teams schedule friendlies here so some MLS teams don't even field their best team. I would love to see the MLS be one of the best leagues in the world, but it just won't with the competition from other sports and the season in which it's played.

Originally posted by Prodigal Son
                        Yeah, because playing in Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Toronto, Vancouver, New York, Philly, Boston, and DC in the fall/winter would be so fucking great.
                        I believe Germany does it and they have some pretty harsh winters if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                          Tiote!
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Fappin Raptor
                          This is the biggest problem for soccer here. There's just more sports to compete with than overseas. Most international tournaments happen in the summer and European teams schedule friendlies here so some MLS teams don't even field their best team. I would love to see the MLS be one of the best leagues in the world, but it just won't with the competition from other sports and the season in which it's played.

I believe Germany does it and they have some pretty harsh winters if I'm not mistaken.
                          Germany has a winter break from before Christmas until mid January. England does, and some of the games last winter were pretty snowy. However, the average temperature in November in Leeds is still above freezing.

Comment

• Obst
                            RIP West
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by cpollack09
                            The US roster was announced,

At first when I didn't see Dempsey I was like WTF, but then I found out that Jozy Altidore & Clint Dempsey were left off the USMNT due to club commitments for the start of the European season.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION - Detailed Roster
                            GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)
                            DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)
                            MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), José Torres (Pachuca)
                            FORWARDS (5): Freddy Adu (Benfica), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)
                            Very interesting to see Landon being listed as a forward instead of midfield where he is normally at.

Comment

• Champ
                              Needs a hobby
                              • Oct 2008

Chivas played like shit vs Juventus. I wish it was a better game.

Comment

• killgod
                                OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                                • Oct 2008

TFC played at home on March 29th vs Portland during the day, and 2 weeks later at night vs LA.

Both were beyond too fuckin cold to be at. It was like going to a fuckin december NFL game in Buffalo.

Any earlier and it's just madness.

Comment

Working...