X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wr50l
    Glen & CJ are secret Huns
    • Oct 2008

The Soccer Thread

I don't think we need to put the greatest game in the world played and watched by the most people in the world into one thread do we? We have an entire section to toy with now!

Threads for the Champions League, threads for the Premiership, threads for La Liga! Threads for the best league of all ... The SPL!
  • Bigpapa42
    • Feb 2009

I'm sure a few people are following the Bundesliga. But for those who aren't this season, you are missing out. Its been fantastic. Hamburg are currently top of the league, even after selling several of their best players in the past 18 months. Hoffenheim are 2nd and leading in goals, even after losing the free-scoring Ibsevic. Bayern are still in the race. There are currently six clubs within 6 points of first place. That's a tight race.

I'm a bit torn. I love Hamburg and really want to see them win a title, even after they sold off a couple of my favorite players. It would be cool to see Bayer Leverkusen win a league title finally. Not to mention the out-of-nowhere story of Hoffenheim...

Some interesting UEFA Cup results today. A couple favorites are gone.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by heelswxman
      Of course I've been following, I enjoy the Bundesliga as much as I enjoy the Premiership. Hamburg have played well, but they did bolster their squad slightly after selling some of their more talented parts. I think signing Jansen from Munich was a real coup.

I'm really impressed with Hoffenheim although I'm not sure I'd call them out of nowhere (although I will admit that I'm surprised they are competing this well in their first year up). They have a rich owner yet they didn't blow all their funds on transfers as Citeh has done. They built from the ground up and developed their own players. They've made a steady and remarkable rise from lower level German football. It makes me wonder why clubs like Kaiserslautern can't do it. We languish in Bundesliga 2, although we have a really good chance of moving up this season.

Leverkusen are an interesting side, they have some serious talent and I think Augusto is going to be a stud on the level of Diego. I doubt they win it this year, but next year I'd consider them to be a serious contender. I'm not happy that Munich allowed Kroos to move to Leverkusen on loan, considering they will fighting with them for the title, but I guess that will give him some solid experience.
      I knew you'd be following...

Hamburg has brought in some quality players, but they trio that they sold over the past six months - Kompany, de Jong, and van der Vaart - were fairly much the core of the side. Kompany never quite settled in as much as the other two, due to injuries, but those three were huge in the past couple seasons for them. RvdV was basically the soul of the side and they always played better when he was involved.

Honesty, I'd say there's no bigger "out of nowhere" story than Hoffenheim in Europe. I mean, they were in the 2.Bundesliga last year, and the third division the season before. Rich owner or not, it would be like Stoke City seriously challenging for the Prem title this season. Even if they only finish in a European spot, that's going to be one of the biggest first seasons in the top division in recent memory.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
        I Can Score Goals
        • Dec 2008

fucking hell

beat madrid midweek the lose to boro

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
          I Can Score Goals
          • Dec 2008

fucking hell

beat madrid midweek the lose to boro

Comment

• Bigpapa42
            • Feb 2009

Oh don't get me wrong, you're spot on about Hoffenheim, but they've really built the club from the inside and they brought in some really talented youngsters who got to play in the lower leagues in Germany gaining experience and now they've begun to really develop.

Have you heard the rumors of HSV bringing back RvdV?
            Hoffenheim are basically the anti-Man City. They did the rich owner thing smart. Of course, the owner of Hoffenheim isn't as rich as the MUFC ownership group, from what I know. But they are building from the "ground floor", as you say. That's the proper way to build up a club.

I've heard some rumblings. I don't put much to them. I don't honestly see van der Vaart going back to Germany, unless it was to Bayern. And I don't think he'd want to go to Bayern, as he feels they snubbed him previously. My guess it that he goes somewhere like Valencia where he can be the main cog again and look brilliant.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
              • Feb 2009

Yeah he doesn't have the funds that MUFC has, however when compared to the rest of German football he looks pretty rich. Have you been reading some of the articles about the health of the German game? Its quite scary, most all the teams in Germany including Munich are feeling the pain of poor revenues. Hell I read that Munich was even interested in, a "salary cap" of sorts. One that would apply to European play only, but still a salary cap.

German football is hurting, and its even worse in the lower leagues. Which I think may have helped the rise of Hoffenheim. Here's one article I found talking about it but its not the one I was looking for that I read.

Did you see Berlin went top of the table? Man this has been one of the most exciting seasons I can remember. If you're not following German football right now, you're really missing out.
              I'd say the Bundesliga is easily the most interesting title race at this point. By far.

As for the financial situation of Germany football, its been in bad shape for a few years. The economy has only made that worse. That said, I don't see how English clubs aren't in worse circumstances, given the amount of debt all the clubs have.

It might be time for Bundesliga clubs to increase their tickets prices at least a bit, to compensate. A big part of the reason that Germany has had such strong attendance for years is very low tickets prices compared to other European leagues. That's also given Bundesliga clubs much less income to work with.

Comment

• Senser81
                VSN Poster of the Year
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bigpapa42
                As for the financial situation of Germany football, its been in bad shape for a few years. The economy has only made that worse. That said, I don't see how English clubs aren't in worse circumstances, given the amount of debt all the clubs have.
                Because English clubs can be in huge debt and bank on the fact that the stupid English people will bail them out. German people aren't as inclined to throw their money at their football clubs. In fact, they would probably sell Bayern Munich to England if the price was right.

Speaking of which, 5-0 in their Champions League match?

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Britrock
                  In the latest Steve McLaren news, FC Twente currently stand second in the Dutch League, behind AZ, but ahead of Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord and, well, everyone else. Not bad going really.
                  Its impresive. But its also a wacky season in the Eredivisie. None of the top clubs are performing. Ajax were, but then they sold their best player mid-season. PSV are a shell of the side they were 2-3 years ago.

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                    The Greatest
                    • Feb 2009

Boom, got my season tickets for the Sounders inaugural MLS season. One team scarf for each seat I have. The team has attached the first ticket of the season to the scarf. They really want everyone in the stadium to have a scarf when they are on ESPN.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Prodigal Son
                      Boom, got my season tickets for the Sounders inaugural MLS season. One team scarf for each seat I have. The team has attached the first ticket of the season to the scarf. They really want everyone in the stadium to have a scarf when they are on ESPN.
                      Nice. I'm thinking that like Toronto, Seattle will be well-supported for an MLS club.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                        I Can Score Goals
                        • Dec 2008

Stevie G and Torres ftw :D

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                          I Can Score Goals
                          • Dec 2008

Fucking get in there, 3 points in the bag

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                            I Can Score Goals
                            • Dec 2008

4 fuckin 1!!!!!!!

feels so good

fuck your old trafford united

wooooooooooooo

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                              • Feb 2009

Nice win by Liverpool. Huge moment in the title race, as it makes them catching United on the table actually possible now.

Thrilled to see Arsenal take the kind of win they've been needing in the league. Now they just need to build off of it.

Comment

Working...