X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davie
    Hey, relax guy!
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Len B
    How big of an upset is this in comparison to other sports? Not a huge soccer guy by any means.
    It would mean a lot more if it happened in the World Cup.

Comment

• Vinsane
      • Nov 2008

How big of an upset is this in comparison to other sports? Not a huge soccer guy by any means.
      Originally posted by davie
      It would mean a lot more if it happened in the World Cup.
      Agreed.

A lot of detractors will take the significance of this win away from the U.S. considering it happened in the Confederations Cup. If they had done this on the "World" stage, it would of been probably up there with the US Olympic win over Canada in hockey.
      25-02, 23:16 Yawkey Way celtics fucking suck

Comment

• Blade
        Walking SAM site
        • Feb 2009

I will chalk it up as a step in the right direction. After the mid 90s, US Soccer has been pathetic, it needs to find an identity, and if its being the underdog than so be it.

Comment

• T.Dot
          A Real RockNRolla
          • Nov 2008

Great win, did anyone else think that the Spanish strikers played uninspired today, def not the attacking football I've noticed when watching the Spanish, I cant take anything away from the US, Dempsey, Altidore and Bradley were terrific today and Tim Howard played like he was the worlds best keeper, all the best to this team, the only thing I hate about this is that people will be all over the US next year in the World Cup calling them favorites after this

Comment

• zack54attack
            Posts a lot
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by T.Dot
            Great win, did anyone else think that the Spanish strikers played uninspired today, def not the attacking football I've noticed when watching the Spanish, I cant take anything away from the US, Dempsey, Altidore and Bradley were terrific today and Tim Howard played like he was the worlds best keeper, all the best to this team, the only thing I hate about this is that people will be all over the US next year in the World Cup calling them favorites after this
            They wont be calling them favorites. There is still better teams than them.

What this will do is bring more life into soccer for the USA. Should get some people mopre excited about the sport here.

As for the World Cup, people will expect USA to get out of the group stage and win a game after that. But favorites? I dont think so.

Comment

• T.Dot
              A Real RockNRolla
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by zack54attack
              They wont be calling them favorites. There is still better teams than them.

What this will do is bring more life into soccer for the USA. Should get some people mopre excited about the sport here.

As for the World Cup, people will expect USA to get out of the group stage and win a game after that. But favorites? I dont think so.
              you wait and see, guarantee the Sports Illustrated's and ESPN's of the world will be praising the fuck out of this team come June 2010

Comment

• Obst
                RIP West
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by T.Dot
                you wait and see, guarantee the Sports Illustrated's and ESPN's of the world will be praising the fuck out of this team come June 2010
                Even ESPN isn't that dumb. We lost to Brazil and Italy, and most likely will lose to Brazil again. By no means is one win going to make us a favorite to ESPN or Sports Illustrated, they aren't idiots when it comes to this shit, they know we aren't that great of a team and had a big upset today.

Comment

• Bmore
                  The True Free-Man
                  • Oct 2008

Onward to Brazil!!!

Comment

• Vinsane
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bmore
                    Onward to Brazil!!!
                    The tournament is in South Africa.
                    25-02, 23:16 Yawkey Way celtics fucking suck

Comment

• AJay
                      Fighter of the Nightman
                      • Oct 2008

I watched the last World Cup pretty closely. I love watching the USA soccer team. I am pumped we beat Spain and couldn't be happier. I don't know if you guys know the story on how we even got to play them but we shouldn't have even been this far if not for some crazy luck (Italy's own goal)

I don't see us beating Brazil. We lost 3-0 last time to them and did you see them play Italy? They looked like they were playing High School team. Brazil was faster, stronger, just plain out better

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                        • Feb 2009

So it looks like Real Madrid have signed Raul Albiol from Valencia for 12m. Very good center back. I hoped he would stay with Los Che for longer, as he seemed certain to be skipper at some point.

Sounds like RM are still still trying to land Benzema from Lyon, but the French club are determined not to sell. There is still a ton of interest in Benzema, especially from Manchester United.

Comment

• Senser81
                          VSN Poster of the Year
                          • Feb 2009

Its like Michigan beating North Carolina in the preseason NIT.

Comment

• MoonBBad
                            Think Blue!
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Britrock
                            It's the Confederations Cup as I said. It's one thing to get yourself up for an end of season tournament like the WC or the Euros, but another thing completely for the Confederations Cup. Everyone wants to go out and win every game, but as I'm sure people who've played sports will know, the best teams step up their game on the big stages. Spain are still going to be favourites next summer, one loss to the USA won't change the fact they're the best team in the world.

Still, I'm not going to take anything away from the USA. Beating Spain is something every major European nation has failed to do for 3 years, kudos for that. And hey, if Fabio Capello can take the blueprint away with him and we can beat Spain next summer, all the better. :D
                            You are telling me that Spain wasn't playing as hard as they could? No way...They had a record on the line, you know all those players wanted that record.

US just had more heart, some luck, and captialized on mistakes which is what they need to do more consistantly. Capitalize on mistakes when another team makes them.

I can't wait to see the game in Azteca. That would totally be sweet if we could finally beat the Mexicans there.
                            Golden Sombraro Season 2: Dodgers 10-8
                            AIM: MoonBBad YIM: omdbass PS3 ID: MoonBBad

Comment

• Archer
                              Go the fuck outside
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MoonBBad
                              You are telling me that Spain wasn't playing as hard as they could? No way...They had a record on the line, you know all those players wanted that record.

US just had more heart, some luck, and captialized on mistakes which is what they need to do more consistantly. Capitalize on mistakes when another team makes them.

I can't wait to see the game in Azteca. That would totally be sweet if we could finally beat the Mexicans there.
                              He said "every team wants to win every game" . Clearly stating that Spain were playing as hard as they can

Comment

• MoonBBad
                                Think Blue!
                                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Britrock
                                There's playing to win every game, and there's playing to win the big games that matter. Yeah, they had the record to uphold, but believe me, if that was a WC game, I have every belief that Spain would have won.

It's still a great achievement, I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just putting it into some context - it definitely won't be making the US favourites for next year, you'll have a great tournament if you reach the quarters.
                                I agree that it won't make the US favorites. They shouldn't be, they have a long way to go.
                                Golden Sombraro Season 2: Dodgers 10-8
                                AIM: MoonBBad YIM: omdbass PS3 ID: MoonBBad

Comment

Working...