Warner2BruceTD...you and I have a mission...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

WM 8 should definitely be there.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
      I would say no, but then I saw about two dozen wwe shows in the other thread that aren't as memorable to me.
      It could certainly use some pruning, for sure.

I would prefer the list not be the "elitists" definitive PPV list, but a general consensus of the canon of wrestling pay per views.

Much like the Pro Football Hall of Fame asks itself "could you tell the story of the game with/without this person"...maybe for this we should ask ourself "could the story of wrestling be told with/without this pay per view"

Maybe tonight, if you get down time, look through some of those WWE PPVs results, maybe remember something and see if you would prune some.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

Next up for debate...Summerslam 1998

HHH v. The Rock - a match that kind of moved them both up the card as top guys.

Good, but not great Austin-Undertaker and a good Owen Hart-Ken Shamrock match.

Only reason for inclusion here is the historical significance of the HHH-Rock match. Thoughts?

Comment

• young2rice
          Rockstar
          • Mar 2009

This would be good that way I can grab a couple of 'em and watch them in my free time.

^^^ Fixed Link Finally!

My Band's Myspace - Validus

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by young2rice
            This would be good that way I can grab a couple of 'em and watch them in my free time.
            I'd like to put together some sort of..."canon of wrestling" posts here.

Get a list of definitive pay per views. Going to start there. Maybe get a GOAT matches thing going on.

Some shit for reference that we hopefully don't lose.

Maybe it'll all be done before W2BTD is done before with his Top 100 list.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
              • Feb 2009

This better be good.... I dont wanna see no lame Flying Akiyamas vs Los Bandidos Locos live from kenya crap here.

I want my ppvs mainstream and roided.
              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                Beautiful Like Moses
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Next up for debate...Summerslam 1998

HHH v. The Rock - a match that kind of moved them both up the card as top guys.

Good, but not great Austin-Undertaker and a good Owen Hart-Ken Shamrock match.

Only reason for inclusion here is the historical significance of the HHH-Rock match. Thoughts?
                Awesome match between those 2, but debatable historical significance IMO.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
                  Awesome match between those 2, but debatable historical significance IMO.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                    Giants in the Super Bowl
                    • Mar 2009

It was still awhile after SS98 that HHH became a main event player. So the only historical significance you can place on that match is any impact it had on Rock. Don't remember really whether it had much, but Rock did go off the feud to becoming the corporate champ a few months later.

The build to Austin/Taker was fucking awesome though.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                      Beautiful Like Moses
                      • Oct 2008

The bigger moment for Rocky was Survivor Series 98.. which was a fucking great PPV, and has more historical significance then the SS show.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                        Highwayman
                        • Feb 2009

I've been convinced...off the board.

Not putting Survivor Series 98 on there, that was not a fantastic PPV.

I think once we get a good, solid definitive WWE list, the rest will work itself out. The E just has the largest volume of these shows to get through.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                          Beautiful Like Moses
                          • Oct 2008

The Survivor Series show was a bit of a clusterfuck but it was a fun PPV, and really helped launch Rocky to that next level.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                            Giants in the Super Bowl
                            • Mar 2009

No doubt it was a fun show but it was the very definition of one of those hectic attitude era events.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

Is there a year cutoff?

The "Showdown at Shea" shows were the biggest shows the WWF ran in the pre-Vince Jr days. Held every four years, the 1972 show was largely forgettable, but the 1976 and 1980 shows are very memorable.

1976 - Andre The Giant vs. Chuck Wepner (wrestler vs. boxer)
                              Bruno Sammartino vs. Stan Hansen (WWF title match, plus Bruno's revenge for broken neck)
                              Antonio Inoki vs. Muhammad Ali (legendary match that ended up a shoot fight, shown via clsed circuit from Japan)

1980 - Andre vs. Hulk Hogan
                              Bob Backlund & Pedro Morales def. Wild Samoans for WWF Tag Team Titles (Backlund was WWF Champ, Pedro was IC champ, so they held all the belts. They later vacated tag titles)
                              Bruno vs. Larry Zbyszko (famous grudge match steel cage blow off to feud)

1976 drew 32,000, 1980 drew 36,295.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                                Giants in the Super Bowl
                                • Mar 2009

76 was also one of the most disastrous closed circuit shows ever thanks to the abomination that was Ali/Inoki.

How about the January 84 MSG where Hogan beat Sheik?

Comment

Working...