X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

Spike vs FOX, UFC vs uh....UFC

Further solidifying the rift between the UFC and its longtime cable partner, Spike TV today announced counter-programming for the UFC's debut on network TV.

Spike TV will air a "UFC Unleashed" marathon – dubbed "Dos Santos vs. Velasquez: Unleashed for the Heavyweight Title" – featuring past fights with UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.

The marathon begins just as Velasquez and Dos Santos fight at UFC on FOX 1, the UFC's first show on network TV.

Spike TV still has the rights to the UFC library in 2012, and unless the UFC buys back the rights, Spike TV likely will counter-program FOX's live content with archived content.
    Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

• Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

The most intriguing insider baseball segment of the interview is when Ariel asked Dana whether or not it's true that Spike can't air Bellator on TV in 2012 unless UFC buys the rights (picks up the option) to their video library to stop it from airing on Spike in 2012. Dana says that UFC has no intentions on buying the library rights, so Spike is stuck with UFC programming in 2012 as their only contractual choice.

Ariel then pressed Dana on Spike airing Bellator fights on their web site.

"If you really look at what I call the spirit of the deal... it's the wrong thing to do."
    "In my opinion, it's Spike not being honorable."
    "I've been nothing but honorable with them."
    "That is not the spirit of the deal and they're being 100% not honorable."

Comment

• Liquidrob
      Izzy is a bum
      • Feb 2009

I think I'll watch the Spike show, sounds better

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

I'm not an anti trust lawyer, but the Zuffa intentionally not buying back the rights to the footage, despite the fact that not owning the footage is damaging to the company, just to keep a competing brand from airing on Spike, seems to be teetering on the line of monopolistic tactics.

It probably isn't, because they are simply allowing an existing contract to run its course, but it's the first time they have come close, despite the goofy claims from people who don't really know what a monopoly is.

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Liquidrob
          Nice. Can watch Cain/JDS and any other potential fight that airs, then flip over to Spike to catch some more free mma.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
            I'm not an anti trust lawyer, but the Zuffa intentionally not buying back the rights to the footage, despite the fact that not owning the footage is damaging to the company, just to keep a competing brand from airing on Spike, seems to be teetering on the line of monopolistic tactics.

It probably isn't, because they are simply allowing an existing contract to run its course, but it's the first time they have come close, despite the goofy claims from people who don't really know what a monopoly is.
            I'm gonna take Zuffa's side on this one, actually.

Comment

Working...