Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clovett
    • Mar 2009

GSP to 155?

Tri-Star trainer Firas Zahabi was a guest on Beatdown radio with T.J. De Santis and Jon Luther of Sherdog yesterday, and had some very interesting things regarding his star pupil Georges St. Pierre changing weight classes. They started off asking Firas about what would be required for GSP to move to middleweight, and he threw them for a loop with his answer. He said that he actually recommends that St. Pierre should move down to 155, not up to 185.

Originally posted by Firas Zahabi
    "Well to be honest with you, I have recommended to Georges, you know...the only reason I don't recommend it now is because Frankie Edgar is the champion, but I'd want him to move down to 155 if Frankie was not the champion. Obviously we're part of the Renzo Gracie team and we'd never fight Frankie Edgar, because obviously we're all Renzo Gracie fighters. But if it wasn't the case, you know, I'd rather him go down to 155 because Georges is not a very big welterweight. People might think he is, he's actually not very big. And him making 170 is extremely easy for him.

Honestly, it's probably one of the easiest weight cuts from all that I coach, and I coach a lot of professional fighters. Georges making 170 is getting a little too easy for him, so I'd recommend to him in the future, who knows what the cards hold, but if we don't have a team member that's champion or anything like that, I would recommend him to go down first before going up."

"Georges' body type, he's actually ectomorph, he's very lean. He doesn't put on a lot of muscle unless we make do a lot of lifting, and I do make him do a lot of lifting. That's one of the reasons why I wanted him to start doing Olympic lifting, and just a high volume of weightlifting is what will keep him muscular. Because Georges doesn't really put on fat and muscle very easily, and I really think he could lose a little bit of muscle. He doesn't have much fat on him, and a lot of water and a lot of electrolytes. Just doing the weight cut from like 175, he would make it down to 155 quite easily."

Right now for this camp, he's been around 183 or 184, and that's before workouts. That's because we've been doing more gymnastics and less weightlifting.
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Gilbert Melendez vs. GSP -- BOOK IT!

The Scrap Pack Hunter

Comment

• Liquidrob
      Izzy is a bum
      • Feb 2009

MMA is goofy, guys have it backwards, If you dominate a division, you stay or move up, not down, just like And1 should stay at 185 or move up

Frankie shouldnt go fight Aldo at 145, Aldo should go to 155, dont know where this win and move down talk comes from

You move down when you start losing and cant compete at a high level at your current weight class
      Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• SHOGUN
        4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
        • Jul 2009

So we can watch him wrestlefuck smaller fighters? I dunno if I'd be interested in that.

I agree with rob. Moving down when you're already dominant in a larger class screams of bully antics rather than challenging yourself.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
          • Feb 2009

Guys are too scared of there reps and sponsorships. There "aura" is too important to step up in weight class. But frankly little else that someone can do to solidify awesomeness than step up and whip someone a weight class above. Hendo/And1 reps are gold because of it.
          Best reason to have a license.

Comment

Working...