X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

I'm going to rant about Cena for a second. I'm often a bit of an apologist for Cena, and I don't even really like him...I just recognize he's a good talent and more than the five moves of doom that so many on the internet think he is. He's had some legitimate classic matches and some very very good matches in his matchography. But, my one gripe, that I think is his main issue...

He's always on fucking TV.

He's never hurt...and the few times he has been, he's never off TV for more than a month or two.
    He's never off doing something else.
    He never takes a break...ever.

When you've seen him for 9 years and 6 months of a decade long run, fuck man, I get tired of seeing your face, going over dudes all of the time.

Comment

• FedEx227
      Delivers
      • Mar 2009

He's just been so overexposed it's impossible to have any emotion about him anymore.

Compare it to Hogan's WWF run. Hogan went 10 years (1983-1993) but that obviously is a different animal given the lack of TV, but regardless 10 years. Moreover, you can just about trace the point when he was fading as a top draw for them around late 1991, early 1992 so under 10 years, right around where we're at with Cena right now.

It's just too much. The best thing he ever did was go away for 5-6 months in 2005 (I believe). He returned early at the Rumble and the pop he got was huge because it was nice just to not see him for a little while. He'd benefit SO much from having 6-7 months off right now. Every movement of his, every word, every move, etc. we've seen it time and time and time and time and time again.
      Last edited by FedEx227; 05-14-2013, 10:29 AM.
      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        I think I'm going to go join Warner2Bruce at the "I've had enough of Daniel Bryan" table. Zero interest ol boy.
        Bogus.

His 5 minute hot tag was the best part of the 6-man!!!

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
          He's just been so overexposed it's impossible to have any emotion about him anymore.

Compare it to Hogan's WWF run. Hogan went 10 years (1983-1993) but that obviously is a different animal given the lack of TV, but regardless 10 years. Moreover, you can just about trace the point when he was fading as a top draw for them around late 1991, early 1992 so under 10 years, right around where we're at with Cena right now.

It's just too much. The best thing he ever did was go away for 5-6 months in 2005 (I believe). He returned early at the Rumble and the pop he got was huge because it was nice just to not see him for a little while. He'd benefit SO much from having 6-7 months off right now. Every movement of his, every word, every move, etc. we've seen it time and time and time and time and time again.
          Hogan was not on TV nearly as much. He was a house show warrior, for sure...but back then, as a fan, you don't see the dudes face 2-3 times a week on TV. He ran house shows like a mad man, but he wasn't on TV all that often. I mean, you'd get him for big shows, PPVs, SNME, other significant events, but otherwise, it was just the occasional "update" or 3m pre-tape promo. It took Hogan nearly a decade to grow stale. Cena has been stale since right after Year 2 or 3 of this gimmick.

You are thinking of 2008, when Cena was out with the torn pec. That was in October. By November, they already had those stupid "update" promos featuring Cena. Then in December, he was on Tribute for the Troops. Then he came back for the Royal Rumble in late January. Its like he wasn't even gone.

Comment

• FedEx227
            Delivers
            • Mar 2009

No doubt regarding Hogan not being on TV which is why I said it was a different animal.

Three hours of TV, multiple shows per week, etc. The amount of hours spent looking at Cena is probably 100 times what you saw of Hogan during that time.
            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

I might also be joining Joe at the "Monday Night Wars was the worst thing to happen to episodic wrestling" table.

Some weeks, its just too much, and I fast forward through the shit. You just see the same fucking faces every.single.week. I just grow tired of everyone, really...Cena is just a chief offender.

Now, ya'll might realize why I might be the only person getting hype for an Undertaker match at WrestleMania. I see him for four weeks out of the year, then he goes back into his hole. He comes back, I pop, he has a good match, and leaves again. Great formula. Haven't been tired or bored of the Undertaker in like 6 years.

Comment

• FedEx227
                Delivers
                • Mar 2009

No, I totally agree. I was "raised" in the Monday Night Wars so I have a rosy view of it with my youth but it was absolutely one of the worst things to happen to wrestling television. The focus on segment to segment rating switches has had the biggest impact IMO. Even though they aren't competing with Nitro anymore, they still book like they are.
                VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• XavierDZ
                  Noob
                  • Apr 2013

Anyone notice the Prime time Players won a match?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

On Meltzer's new audio he says high ranking people in WWE think Cesaro is boring.

So there you go.

Same people who adore Randy Orton. Let that sink in.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                      War Hero
                      • May 2012

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        On Meltzer's new audio he says high ranking people in WWE think Cesaro is boring.

So there you go.

Same people who adore Randy Orton. Let that sink in.
                        You know, the more I think about this, the more it makes sense.

Cesaro did all of those great videos when he was U.S. champ, really clever, funny, off the cuff stuff, but mostly dry understated humor. He's not an over the top IN YOUR FACE type of personality, and has always been subtle. Even in the KOW days, it was Chris Hero who was the boisterous one, while Cesaro made subtle gestures and mannerisms.

I guess he's not WACKY enough for Vince. I can just see Vince complaining in my minds eye..."So he's European? I don't get it. Let's see that sonuffabitch act European! Tell 'em to yodel! Give 'em a beret! If he's gonna be European, go all the way, dammit!"

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                          War Hero
                          • May 2012

How did Austin Aries "Sexual Harass" Christy Hemme? Just watched the clip from Impact and really? Thats what people are losing their shit over? I hate wrestling fans.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

lmfao

@WWEShop unfollowed Zack Ryder.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by JimLeavy59
                              How did Austin Aries "Sexual Harass" Christy Hemme? Just watched the clip from Impact and really? Thats what people are losing their shit over? I hate wrestling fans.
                              I've been debating this for two days on another board. People legit want him fired, and are saying it was sexual assault.

Context/intent seemingly doesn't matter to people. Applying office standards to a heel pro wrestler is incredibly obtuse.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                                Highwayman
                                • Feb 2009

Mark Madden is easily the biggest cunt (literally) of any wrestling writer on the net.

He's leading this charge to get Aries fired...for what reason, probably because Aries told him to fuck off on Twitter.

Comment

Working...