X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FedEx227
    Delivers
    • Mar 2009

I wish he still wasn't wearing the kneepads so I could make that joke.
    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Just be glad Magnus doesn't come from a wrestling family.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross announced that he is retiring from WWE today, after 20 years of service, to focus on his personal business endeavors.

Jim has had a long and storied career at WWE, both on the corporate staff as well as his television persona, calling some of the most memorable matches in WWE history as the voice of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown for more than two decades. He made his debut with WWE at WrestleMania IX in 1993 and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007 by his long-time friend “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

Jim has made many contributions to WWE and the sports-entertainment industry, and we thank him for his many years of service and wish him well.
        The most underrated pair of eyes in the history of wrestling. The man knows talent. He's still the best announcer the WWE has to offer. Why they have Michael Cole out there over JR never ceased to amaze me. I loved JR-Regal booths on NXT.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          The most underrated pair of eyes in the history of wrestling. The man knows talent. He's still the best announcer the WWE has to offer. Why they have Michael Cole out there over JR never ceased to amaze me. I loved JR-Regal booths on NXT.
          My guess is that JR has consistently stepped back over the past few years, just hanging on with a limited schedule. What's going to hurt is that the younger talents won't have JR watching them to provide feedback down in NXT. My guess is he will have some random appearances here and there, and if he ever wants a role back, they'll find something for him.

Not to disparage Lawler with the heart attack issue, but I think I kept watching WWE after that because having JR back at the announce table. I was about ready to give up again.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

JR will be down in Orlando more than he'll likely admit to. Throughout everything he's done in the WWE, one thing he can't stay away from is developmental. Guy is a staple at watching the development roster and he's one of the "inner circle" guys who always gets asked his two cents on a guy.

Comment

• BigBiss
              • Mar 2009

Not being a dick here but witch guys do you think are Jim Ross guys? ... I personal think he is rated pretty fairly

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Dirtsheets already spreading rumors that Ross was essentially railroaded out because of Flair's part of the 2K press conference SummerSlam weekend. By Vince no less.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BigBiss
                  Not being a dick here but witch guys do you think are Jim Ross guys? ... I personal think he is rated pretty fairly
                  He recruited WCW castoffs to the WWE and in turn the WWE had the best business ever. Austin, Foley...always at the forefront for the WWE recruiting former athletes.

Comment

• BigBiss
                    • Mar 2009

He recruited WCW castoffs to the WWE and in turn the WWE had the best business ever. Austin, Foley...always at the forefront for the WWE recruiting former athletes.
                    yeah, he found some good young talent too like Edge.. but i still think he gets properer credit.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BigBiss
                      yeah, he found some good young talent too like Edge.. but i still think he gets properer credit.
                      Where would you place him?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                        Dirtsheets already spreading rumors that Ross was essentially railroaded out because of Flair's part of the 2K press conference SummerSlam weekend. By Vince no less.
                        I don't know if this is true and won't believe it until Meltzer/Keller/Johnson report it, but I thought Ross was incredibly unprofessional during that event and contributed to the train wreck even though he tried to save it at the end. So I won't be shocked if its true.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

Looks like Meltzer is confirming the Ross story. Retirement = fired.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

A correction from last week. Nick Bockwinkel does not have Alzheimer’s according to wife Darlene. She said that the family would like to keep private his condition. This one is heartbreaking because Bockwinkel was always such an intelligent, confident, insightful person who I learned a ton from watching perform and talking with over the years and a real credit to this industry. I remember him at King of Indies in 2001 watching Bryan Danielson matches with Bockwinkel and Red Bastien and how impressed they were of many of the wrestlers in that tournament, with neither having any negativity toward style changes or that there were only a few hundred people in the room. Bockwinkel and Bastien both gave standing ovations after Danielson’s matches with Brian Kendrick and Low Ki. Bockwinkel said that he would have been proud to be able to work with Danielson at any point in his career. He went out of his way to talk with him and tell him that. He has extensive knowledge of the industry like few because not only did he travel all over the world as a top star and world champion (Jerry Lawler, who saw and faced most of the major world champions of the past 40 years, will always tell you he felt Bockwinkel was the best of all of them), but he had knowledge dating back to the 40s and 50s. His father, Warren, was one of the top stars for decades, starting out in St. Louis at the same gym as Lou Thesz. In those days, the pro wrestling gym in St. Louis that the guys started out in was far more like an MMA gym today than a pro wrestling gym, in the sense it was almost all shoot training early on and working training came much later. Bockwinkel went to high school in San Francisco when his father was working for Joe Malciewicz with John Madden (Bockwinkel was a grade ahead) when both were local football stars. and Lou Thesz would always tell the story of Nick Bockwinkel as a baby peeing on him.
                            Sad if true. I've never heard a bad word about Bockwinkel. An all time great in every way, and probably the major star you would point to if you wanted to counter the wrestling stereotype.

If you don't know much about him, do yourself a favor and spend a couple of hours watching is promos & matches. Heenan & Bock in the AWA was gold. I love his stuff with Hogan & Hennig.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                              Highwayman
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                              Looks like Meltzer is confirming the Ross story. Retirement = fired.
                              How many times has JR been fired at this point?

Comment

• FedEx227
                                Delivers
                                • Mar 2009

How many times has JR been fired at this point?
                                Without research I have:

VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

Working...