X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • s@ppisgod
    No longer a noob
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
    The infamous "hammers hamil", who was notorious for breaking major MMA news on the UG message board a few years back, showed up out of nowhere today and said Lesnar wants to return to the UFC cage for big $$$ fights in between WWE matches.

Lesnar (or more likely, Heyman) must see the writing on the wall with his diminishing returns as a WWE draw, so is setting the table to grab some MMA cash. He's been gone long enough that his return fight will mean something.
    Why? He wouldn't come back and face Cain. And he's been worked over pretty good his last couple of fights. I can't see him being that big of a draw without the right match-up or a big fight. The shine is off of Brock. If he comes back against someone like Hunt, it's a lose-lose situation. He isn't gonna draw like he did and he would probably lose. He better have a good agent, because Dana could lowball him. He's still an impact maker on PPV, but he long ago reached a point of dimishing returns.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by s@ppisgod
      Why? He wouldn't come back and face Cain. And he's been worked over pretty good his last couple of fights. I can't see him being that big of a draw without the right match-up or a big fight. The shine is off of Brock. If he comes back against someone like Hunt, it's a lose-lose situation. He isn't gonna draw like he did and he would probably lose. He better have a good agent, because Dana could lowball him. He's still an impact maker on PPV, but he long ago reached a point of dimishing returns.
      Forget Cain, that isn't happening. He's a special attraction at this point, not a title contender.

Like I said, I think he's been gone long enough that he would draw again. He wouldn't have drawn if he stuck around after the Overeem loss. But I think if you book him vs Mir or Hunt or somebody who can talk like Roy Nelson, it will do good business.

He is probably being advised that WWE is not going to renew him for big money because he's drawn less & less each time out (that's WWE's own fault, but that's a different discussion). Brock doesn't love wrestling or fighting, he's all about the money, and there is more potential money for him in UFC moving forward in all likelihood. It helps that UFC has like one reliable draw at the moment, and he might lost again next week.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
        No longer a noob
        • Apr 2011

Forget Cain, that isn't happening. He's a special attraction at this point, not a title contender.

Like I said, I think he's been gone long enough that he would draw again. He wouldn't have drawn if he stuck around after the Overeem loss. But I think if you book him vs Mir or Hunt or somebody who can talk like Roy Nelson, it will do good business.

He is probably being advised that WWE is not going to renew him for big money because he's drawn less & less each time out (that's WWE's own fault, but that's a different discussion). Brock doesn't love wrestling or fighting, he's all about the money, and there is more potential money for him in UFC moving forward in all likelihood. It helps that UFC has like one reliable draw at the moment, and he might lost again next week.
        Yeah, I think Brock should just cherry-pick a fight or two. Because he's lost a lot of his rep as a sideshow by being made to look like a punching bag a couple times. He needs to save what's left of his ability to draw against someone that A) will put up a good number and B) not beat the ever loving shit out of him and in doing so remind people that he's not as scary as he looks. Bigfoot would be a great fight for him. I could see him taking Silva down laying on him, and either the hammerfists get through or he gets subbed. Either way, he doesn't lose his luster. And it'd be a total freakshow draw. Step right up and see the giant fight the animal. Hunt would pound on him, and I can't see people paying to see that fight. Mir would be good, as a rubber match. Good build, Mir can talk a little, and his striking has lost quite a bit. Nobody pays to see Nelson fight.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Meltzer is saying Jarrett has something lined up "in wrestling", but sort of blew off the notion that it's AAA related (US expansion coming in 2014) when pressed by Bryan Alvarez.

It's not part of a storyline. He legit quit. Could he comeback? Sure.
          Then the question is what does his ownership stake in TNA mean at this point?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
              Beautiful Like Moses
              • Oct 2008

Should the legendary Hulk Hogan be unable to compete alongside John Cena at WrestleMania XXX on April 6, 2014 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana, John Cena will face Bray Wyatt. That match will be the main event.

WWE chief Vince McMahon recently stated to the writers and producers that "Cena is the main event until his time is clearly up. That man feeds us!"

Comment

• IamMedellin
                Everything Burns...
                • Nov 2008

Besides WrestleMania 29, which is annually WWE's top video release, WCW nostalgia has been driving WWE's DVD sales.

According to WWE business numbers released last week, WCW titles rank as the second, third and fourth top WWE video releases of 2013. Through the end of November, the most shipped DVDs have been WrestleMania 29 (174,000), The Best of WCW Monday Nitro, Vol. 2 (121,000), WWE: Goldberg - The Ultimate Collection (86,000), WCW War Games: WCW's Most Notorious Matches (80,000), WWE: The Top 25 Rivalries in Wrestling History (64,000) and WWE: For All Mankind- The Life and Career of Mick Foley (59,000).

It should be noted that the Goldberg DVD had only been out for less than two months, with 74,000 sold in the first month. It greatly outsold the Triple H video released two weeks prior, Triple H - Thy Kingdom Come, which was not ranked as a top-seller.
                interesting ...

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

I heard that earlier today, and I can't tell if that is a serious report or not. I'd rather watch Orton and Big Show again. Wyatt and Cena in a Wrestlemania main-event would be the ultimate in drizzling shits.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

That Cena/Wyatt match is making the rounds because it was in the Observer yesterday:

With all the top guys seemingly taken, that would still seem that Cena is in for something to do with Hogan in some form, since Cena should be involved if they do a Hogan final deal type of show. As of last week, Cena vs. Bray Wyatt, believe it or not, was the main event planned for the show. Vince McMahon stated to the writers and producers that “Cena is the main event until his time is clearly up. That man feeds us!”

That one I could see changing because it would require them to have confidence Wyatt has gotten over to that level, and right now that’s going to be tough. It’s great positioning for Wyatt when it comes to establishing him as a long-term top guy, although Miz was in a similar position in one of the biggest Manias of all-time, and look at how that ended up.

The booking is based on the idea Hogan won’t be able to do a match or pass the medicals. That still leaves a Bryan vs. Michaels spot open (as noted, everyone internally is being told Michaels will not work another match, as are friends of Michaels, but even so I wouldn’t reject that possibility 100%) as well as a lot of other guys not accounted for. Sheamus doing a heel turn could be a backup plan for Cena if they don’t think Wyatt is ready for that spot, but that would be tough to put as the main event. It’s a match that was done for months straight and as a main event program, and while it’s foolish to think that Mania has to be all new matches, Cena vs. Sheamus doesn’t feel like a Mania main event. Sheamus’ shoulder hasn’t recovered yet, which may cut into the time to get him over enough to be in that position, if that can even be done at this point, unless there was a great idea to heat him up.
                    My gut says they will never pull the trigger on it.

With that said, it doesn't leave much left for Cena, with everybody else accounted for.

Lesnar/Taker
                    Orton/Batista
                    Triple H/Punk
                    Bryan/HBK

*ADR, Sheamus, Roman Reigns in the mix for a top match and also unaccounted for

HBK supposedly has not agreed to come back yet, so they sort of booked themselves into a corner with Bryan, because if HBK won't do the match you have nothing for Bryan. In that scenario, I could see moving Cena into the Triple H match as Vince's guy, and doing a "workrate" match with Punk vs Bryan. Or, Meltzer said the backup plan for Vince's man vs Trips is Reigns.

If Reigns doesn't turn by then, it's Reigns/Langston.

Sheamus could easily fit in almost anywhere to fill a hole, but does he really excite anybody right now?

They really, really need Hogan & HBK to work the show, or a bunch of dominoes will fail to fall.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Also, don't assume Orton/Batista would be for the title. That match would clearly be 4th or 5th on the pecking order (3rd at best), and after making such a big deal about having one champion now, i'm not sure they want to bury their title match 5th from the top at the biggest show of the year. Plus, Orton clearly has zero box office appeal, not that that matters at Mania, but it does for everything else.

Personally, I would do Wyatts vs The Shield on the show, and that is where I would do the Reigns turn, for maximum effect at the biggest show with the most eyeballs watching.

Cena/Hogan vs ??? (Doesn't really matter, honestly. Ryback & Axel would be fine, or just about anyone. Opponents would be props.)
                      Taker/Lesnar
                      Trips/Punk
                      HBK/Bryan
                      Orton/Batista
                      Shield/Wyatts
                      Rhodes Boys/Show&Mysterio
                      Sheamus/ADR? Ryback?
                      Langston/???
                      Women's nonsense
                      (Possibly Ryback/Goldberg, but not if they get Hogan or HBK or both)

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

I'm still thinking that they do something for control of the company involving H's, Vince and Shane. Everything's been too quiet about Shane since he stepped down as CEO of the company he was with.

I also thought that they were going to split the Rhodes and have them feud against each other? Or has that plan changed because they've performed so well together?

Comment

• GoRedRocket
                          Noob
                          • May 2011

I was under the impression that Goldust was only signed short term, so a split feud was almost inevitable? They both wanted that for quite some time, so that makes the most sense to me.

Comment

• SuperKevin
                            War Hero
                            • Dec 2009

I honestly thought the brother feud would have best been done much earlier. When Golddust was brought back in he should have been part of the Authority

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

They could still do the Rhodes feud, but they've been so good as a team that it may not happen in time for Mania. In my opinion i'd say it's 50/50 they do the split. It probably depends how the rest of the card falls into place and how much time they can devote on TV to another big angle.

Comment

• FedEx227
                                Delivers
                                • Mar 2009

It was earmarked for Mania but at this rate, you may as well hold it off. They are a top team in a re-emerging tag division. Vince will get sick of that division relatively soon and you can do the blowoff then. It would get lost on Mania and is better served most likely on a smaller show.
                                VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

Working...