X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigpapa42
    • Feb 2009

The General Wrestling Thread

With Wrestle Mania coming up in barely a month, figured a general thread to discuss the wonderful world of professional wrestling might be fun.

I'm actually going to be at Wrestle Mania this year. Also going to the ROH show on the Friday and the Raw on Monday. Should be a very interesting weekend.
  • Kuzzy Powers
    Beautiful Like Moses
    • Oct 2008

So they decided to put the Big Show in the Main Event at Wrestlemania? Wowsers. I guess Vince didnt like that everyone on the net predicted that it was going to be Cena vs Edge in the Main Event. How Big Show just comes out of no where and is now getting a world title shot at the biggest event of the year, thats kinda beyond me. Im guessing Cena gets involved and its a triple threat. Regardless, Big Show being in the match is kinda lame.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
      • Feb 2009

The Big Show in the title match at WM? Uh, no thanks. Hopefully they're just messing with fans and we'll have some sort of swerve.

Comment

• Ravin
        Dishing the Gino's
        • Feb 2009

You know there will be some thing where Cena can fight Show and the winner goes to Wrestlemania. There is no way they leave Cena out of a world title match at the biggest Wrestlemania.
        All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
          Beautiful Like Moses
          • Oct 2008

Im sure Cena will still be in it but apparently the plan has been in place for a couple weeks to have Show fight Edge. IMO this is a brutal idea. If Cena ends up fighting Jericho in defense of the Legends or something, it'll be a HUGE let down.

I like the build-up to the HHHH-Orton match, but unfortunately a lot of hype and build-up wont save us from a boring ass match, lol. With all the personal shit going on in this match it should probably be no-DQ, but the Main Event of WrestleMania has always been a straight up wrestling match.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
            Beautiful Like Moses
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Rawlin
            HHH-Orton boring ass? Their work so far has been great, they had a **** Last Man Standing match when Orton took the belt from him. Their other work wasn't as great, but Orton got injured in the one, which ruined the rest of the match.

Mark Henry and Kane in MITB? Waste of two spots.This match is for spot monkeys to do their thing, big guys need to back the fuck up. I could definitely see MVP winning this year.
            Triple H and Orton doing great work.... from an in-ring stand point? We must watch different shows..

Comment

• Ravin
              Dishing the Gino's
              • Feb 2009

Shelton can't be trusted though to hold a world title. MVP can. MVP can talk on the mic, while the mic work has always kept Shelton back.

WWE has a lot of guys who will/can become top talent if just given the chance to. Morrison and Miz, MVP, Kofi (if he ever talks), CM Punk can run with them. A lot of good youngish guys (except MVP) who can become top talent and give us something new besides Cena/Orton/Edge/HHH. I actually am liking the Hardy's fighting each other because it makes them both Main event level stars.
              All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                • Feb 2009

The problem isn't so much whether those guys can be capable of headlining... its whether Vinnie Mac sees them as headliners. Because if he doesn't see it, it won't happen. Guys like Punk, Christian, and even MVP might never get the chance just because Vince doesn't see it in them.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Yankee1012
                  Anyone have any ideas of what JBL could do to make history? I have no idea what it could be, but I think it has to do with an Intercontinental Title match.
                  The rumor I've read is that he's very close to retiring from active competition, which could mean he might retire as champion. Its only been done once, by Trish Stratus - obviously as the women's champion. If that's the plan, it would also make sense as to why JBL even won the IC title.

Comment

• Kia Kaha
                    52Ray_Lewis
                    • Dec 2008

Now i watch Raw every friday night here in NZ (yeah i know its real dealayed lol) and it is all good stuff but sometimes i think the WWE has turned into utter crap, i really hope that one day in the next two years so hopefully next year or even this year (unlikely) they have a big battle royal with all the legends like Stone Cold, the rock etc and let them at it in a battle royal, it wouldnt be too much to ask as battle royals dont last long so it would be great and also they just need to make every wresltmanina macth exciting, there sohuld be another TLC match, those things rocked, there should be a hell in the cell match, there should be a casket match, a no DQ match, a cage match, a hardcore macth (like that 15 minute thing in 2000), a ladder match, a battle royal, a last man standing match,

Wrestlemania is no longer a spectacle IMO as the matches are so boring, WWE should just go all out and make it the best thing ever even it they do it just the once, i know it will never happen but man it would be cool

Comment

• Ravin
                      Dishing the Gino's
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Kia Kaha
                      Now i watch Raw every friday night here in NZ (yeah i know its real dealayed lol) and it is all good stuff but sometimes i think the WWE has turned into utter crap, i really hope that one day in the next two years so hopefully next year or even this year (unlikely) they have a big battle royal with all the legends like Stone Cold, the rock etc and let them at it in a battle royal, it wouldnt be too much to ask as battle royals dont last long so it would be great and also they just need to make every wresltmanina macth exciting, there sohuld be another TLC match, those things rocked, there should be a hell in the cell match, there should be a casket match, a no DQ match, a cage match, a hardcore macth (like that 15 minute thing in 2000), a ladder match, a battle royal, a last man standing match,

Wrestlemania is no longer a spectacle IMO as the matches are so boring, WWE should just go all out and make it the best thing ever even it they do it just the once, i know it will never happen but man it would be cool

Going all out though doesn't mean pulling a TNA and doing gimmick matches for every single match. In fact if they had every single one of those matches, you would find it to be boring because there is no break, and nothing is new. You go from one gimmick to the next and the gimmick is what is selling the match rather then the wrestlers.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Ravin
                        Going all out though doesn't mean pulling a TNA and doing gimmick matches for every single match. In fact if they had every single one of those matches, you would find it to be boring because there is no break, and nothing is new. You go from one gimmick to the next and the gimmick is what is selling the match rather then the wrestlers.
                        I agree that WM doesn't quite seem as big anymore, and also that gimmick matches isn't way to go. I just think that the matches, for the most part, don't feel major. It feels like we've been here before...

Orton vs Triple H - the storyline makes it interesting, but the match has been done many times now.

Cena vs Edge vs Big Show - Cena and Edge has been done so many times in the past few years. Does adding the Big Show in make it any better really? Especially knowing that Cena is so likely to win to get "his" belt back. Predictable match in many ways.

Undertaker vs HBK - easy pick for best match, but its also been done. Not in awhile, but we're not seeing something new here.

Hardy vs Hardy - an interesting match that could turn out to be very very good.

Diva battle royal - eye candy.

Money in the Bank - could be good, but what the hell are Kane and Knox doing in there? This one looks a bit like a cluster-fuck, and as much as I'd like to believe the WWE is doing something smart with it, they likely aren't.

As relatively casual fan, there isn't one match on that card that makes me want to buy it. If I didn't have plans in place for months to attend, the card wouldn't be convincing me to go get tickets. Even just a couple of years ago, you had matches that felt like they were going to be something special. It just doesn't feel that way.

Comment

• Ravin
                          Dishing the Gino's
                          • Feb 2009

I have a feeling that some how they may try and remove Big Show because of the stuff going on with Vickie, but then again, who would they have Show face on such short notice.

Everyone gets all mad at seeing the same matches again, but the thing is, this is WM25, a milestone of milestones. This isn't your normal WM, so they are going to want to make it as big as they can. When you look back at big WM, 25 will be there and it is headlined by Orton (biggest Heel) and Triple H (biggest face). I don't mind it at all having them fight again because I am a casual fan and I haven't seen them fight each other in over a year, so it isn't a big deal to me.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Ravin
                            I have a feeling that some how they may try and remove Big Show because of the stuff going on with Vickie, but then again, who would they have Show face on such short notice.

Everyone gets all mad at seeing the same matches again, but the thing is, this is WM25, a milestone of milestones. This isn't your normal WM, so they are going to want to make it as big as they can. When you look back at big WM, 25 will be there and it is headlined by Orton (biggest Heel) and Triple H (biggest face). I don't mind it at all having them fight again because I am a casual fan and I haven't seen them fight each other in over a year, so it isn't a big deal to me.
                            I realize that Orton-Triple H is a main heel against a main face, but its still been done time and again. By quick count, they've had title matches at least four times on PPV since the start of 2007, not counting any multi-man matches. The storyline makes it somewhat interesting, but its repetitive.

The thing that has made Wrestle Mania such a marquee event is because it always featured the biggest matches. Matches that they built towards for months, sometimes almost the entire year. They had matches that had fans salivating. Just a few...

III - Hogan vs Andre + Savage vs Steamboat
                            IV - title tournament
                            V - Savage vs Hogan - built up for months with the Mega Powers split
                            VI - Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior
                            X - Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon ladder match - pretty unique at the time
                            XII - Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart - 60 minute Iron Man match
                            13 - Hart vs Austin - rare double turn
                            XIV - Austin vs Michaels - with Mike Tyson
                            XIX - Angle vs Lesnar

The two big title matches on the just don't carry that epic feel.

Comment

• Ravin
                              Dishing the Gino's
                              • Feb 2009

I agree with that. WWE doesn't do any massive build up anymore. No 6-7 month long build up to a dream match we have wanted to see. It just seems as if they are running through the paces, finished No Way Out and got into Wrestlemania gear and started storylines for that. Hell look at the Cena/Edge/Show angle. It is just horrible I think for a Wrestlemania 25 main event match. The best they could come up with is Show and Vickie having some behind Edge fun, and Cena finds out and uses it as blackmail? Seriously WWE? This is your idea for Edge and Cena? -sigh-

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

Working...