X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

NHL playoff seeding question

Looking at the current standings and how there are only a few games left on the schedule, I have a question about the Chicago Blackhawks.

Currently they are a #6 seed, and they would play LA/Dallas as the #3 seed. But if the Blackhawks win their next couple games, they might move up to a #5 seed or even a #4 seed, but either way they are playing a much tougher Nashville or Detroit team.

So, wouldn't the Blackhawks want to lose on purpose? Is there any benefit for them to win their remaining games?
  • 1ke
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
    • Mar 2009

Main thing is that 4 seed. The Hawks want home Ice. And the Hawks are better at home, as is with most teams. But there is not much between the 4,5 and 6 seed this year. So if that means getting home ice, that could be the major difference in a series between Nashvill or Detroit, then you have to try for it.

Comment

• Ravin
      Dishing the Gino's
      • Feb 2009

You hardly see it where teams fail on purpose to get a better first round match up. I actually remember the Penguins did it to not win the East (Montreal won it that year) so they could play Ottawa in the first round. Pens went on to win the cup.

But getting by the first round is just that. If Hawks fall down to 6th to play number 3, and you expect Vancouver/St.Louis to win their series, then Hawks are playing Vancouver second round. Beyond the rival stuff, that is still a very tough opponent and they have to play the first two games in Vancouver.

Now if they get to #4, and Vancouver/St.louis wins and #3 doesn't, they get St. Louis, the "easier" of the two teams.

Either way, being #4 basically gives you one home ice advantage in the first round, and as I pointed out, you don't see to many teams tanking in playoff spots to get better match ups.
      All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• killgod
        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
        • Oct 2008

Dallas is out of the running for the Pacific now

But it's tough for Chicago to act here. The #3 seed seems most vulnerable of the top 4, so a matchup in the 1st round may seem ideal. However come round 2, they may be the lowest seed left and have to go to Vancouver.

However. Should Chicago end up in the 4/5 and overcome...there's a good chance DET/NSH may take out that #3 seed. Meaning come round 2, they may get to play St. Louis instead. St. Louis has been great this year, but lack any playoff experience and may be more vulnerable in the 2nd round than Vancouver would be.

I suppose it depends on how they feel about that as well.

Comment

• Ravin
          Dishing the Gino's
          • Feb 2009

St. Louis > Hawks

Just saying.
          All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• 1ke
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
            • Mar 2009

St. Louis is the team that I dont want to see. I fear that series more than I do Vancouver.

Comment

• killgod
              OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
              • Oct 2008

Up to Chicago who they prefer.

However IMO, Vancouver is much more likely to win a Cup. I'd want to be playing them last over anyone.

Comment

• Ravin
                Dishing the Gino's
                • Feb 2009

Which ever way you look at it, the West is going to be tough. If playoffs are today you got Van/SJ, StL/PHX, LA/CHI, NSH/DET.

Vancouver is a beast, and I don't think San Jose could match long term.
                St. Louis is that unknown come playoff time, but with what I will say is the "easiest" of the Western teams, they will probably get a free pass.
                LA/Chi all comes down to who the hell shows up first. Both teams are streaky as hell, and LA can go from scoring 1 goal a game to 5, so who the fuck knows.
                NSH/DET - This is the PIT/PHI series of the West. Either way you look at it, the winner is not a cake wake in round 2.

So you are going to have Vancouver, St. Louis, and Nash/Det atleast in round 2. That is just scary as fuck. Lets just say Chicago makes it, there is a chance all 4 teams are over 100 points. Add in the east, and say Rangers and Pens win Boston wins, that is 7 of 8 teams in the second round have over 100 points.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

Working...