Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clovett
    • Mar 2009

UFC 145 buyrate

Early estimates of PPV numbers have topped 700,000 buys, by far the largest of Jones' career. The number was big for UFC, because they had not established a new young star who was a major consistent draw since the rise of Brock Lesnar, now retired, and Georges St. Pierre, out for most of the year. While the draw was in good part due to the storyline, the number was big enough to where it, combined with WrestleMania a few weeks ago, seems to contradict a lot of people's views of PPV as a dying industry. The big events, like this and WrestleMania, have done better than most expectations going in.
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Gee, Rashad draws well again.

Let's keep crediting his opponents, though.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

And using WrestleMania as a measuring stick for PPV is not a very good idea because WrestleMania always does well and tops itself from the year before.

When WWE & UFC "B-shows" stop dropping like stones, we can say PPV isn't dying. Of course mega events like WrestleMania and Jones/Evans and Pac and PBF will still d numbers, what does that prove?

Comment

• SHOGUN
        4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
        Gee, Rashad draws well again.

Let's keep crediting his opponents, though.
        Pretty much. Rashad is a proven draw at this point and the beef probably helped these numbers. I don't see how they can attribute this solely to Jones.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

Rashad draws well when he's got a hot match-up (Rampage and now Jones), otherwise, he's meaningless.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
            Rashad draws well when he's got a hot match-up (Rampage and now Jones), otherwise, he's meaningless.
            Jones has drawn never, yet gets credit for this.

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
              Jones has drawn never, yet gets credit for this.
              Not single handedly. Together, the feud was the draw. Rashad is not a great draw by himself.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Not single handedly. Together, the feud was the draw. Rashad is not a great draw by himself.
                Did you not read the OP? I am directly responding to the OP, which states:

Early estimates of PPV numbers have topped 700,000 buys, by far the largest of Jones' career. The number was big for UFC, because they had not established a new young star who was a major consistent draw since the rise of Brock Lesnar, now retired, and Georges St. Pierre, out for most of the year.
                The insinuation here is that Jones drew the number and is now established as a draw. There is actually not even a mention of Evans name in the entire paragraph. Which is nuts, because as I pointed out, Evans has proven to be a draw in the past, Jones have never drawn shit.

Of course, Evans opponents always get the credit, which at this point is stupid. Evans is a draw, and nobody wants to admit it. At some point, people have to realize that Evans has been the catalyst for these numbers more than his opponents.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                  Giants in the Super Bowl
                  • Mar 2009

300k vs. Tito
                  300k vs. Silva

The only two instances in which Rashad was the lone main event star & had no other big fights elsewhere on the card.

Otherwise:

700k~ vs. Jones
                  1mil vs. Rampage
                  600k vs. Machida
                  1mil vs. Forrest (with Big Nog vs. Mir & Rampage vs. Wand)
                  450k vs. Chuck

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                    • Feb 2009

Evans is also coming off a FOX appearance. Im sure that added eye balls.
                    Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                      Izzy is a bum
                      • Feb 2009

I'm on the side that Evans is only a draw when he has something to work with, he can hype a fight when another can give him something like Rampage and Jones

Tito didnt do his usual stuff and it showed, Silva is a nothing personality in MMA, it's not a knock, he just can't generate hype by himself, but not many can anyway
                      Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• EmpireWF
                        Giants in the Super Bowl
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                        Evans is also coming off a FOX appearance. Im sure that added eye balls.
                        ...a boring Fox appearance.

Still curious what Fox means to PPV. Wonder what the rating will be for the 5/5 card will be considering there's no main star...just a series of what should be entertaining fights. This is where we find out exactly what the UFC brand means on network TV with no added bonus of a draw.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

300k vs. Tito
                          300k vs. Silva

The only two instances in which Rashad was the lone main event star & had no other big fights elsewhere on the card.

Otherwise:

700k~ vs. Jones
                          1mil vs. Rampage
                          600k vs. Machida
                          1mil vs. Forrest (with Big Nog vs. Mir & Rampage vs. Wand)
                          450k vs. Chuck
                          Originally posted by Liquidrob
                          I'm on the side that Evans is only a draw when he has something to work with, he can hype a fight when another can give him something like Rampage and Jones

Tito didnt do his usual stuff and it showed, Silva is a nothing personality in MMA, it's not a knock, he just can't generate hype by himself, but not many can anyway
                          Again, my point is that the OP gives ALL OF THE CREDIT to Jones, as if he has now arrived as some sort of draw. There is zero mention of Evans, who at least has a history of being in main events that have pulled good numbers. Jones has no history to speak of, nothing. All of a sudden, he fights Rashad, does a good number, and i'm supposed to think Jones is responsible?

Show me all of the 1,000,000+ fights Rampage was in and the 600k+ fights Lyoto f'n Machida was in without Rashad. Same for Jones. Did Jones last two PPV's combine for 700k?

Not sure what you guys are arguing with me about, if you can't see that Rashad sparked this number, i dont know what to tell you. Who else is Jon Jones pulling 700k against in 2012?

Comment

• EmpireWF
                            Giants in the Super Bowl
                            • Mar 2009

Rashad and Jones each get credit for this.

By themselves, neither is much of a draw.

Comment

• Primetime
                              Thank You Prince
                              • Nov 2008

UFC 128 Shogun vs. Jones: 490,000 buys
                              UFC 135 Jones vs. Rampage: 520,000 buys
                              UFC 140 Jones vs. Machida: 485,000 buys
                              UFC 145 Jones vs. Evans: 700,000 buys

Comment

Working...