Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fappin Raptor
    I literally know nothing.
    • Jul 2009

It's been a long 44 years for us. I can't wait to hoist that trophy! We are the best team evar!!!

Comment

• 1ke
      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
      • Mar 2009

I agree, But ill give props as well. Everyone thought it was done on the 8th. Problem is, so did the players.

But tonight, again, that was just pitiful.

Props to City, they won it.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
        • Feb 2009

Congrats to City.

Comment

• citizenerased
          Rugby World Cup Champion
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Fappin Raptor
          It's been a long 44 years for us. I can't wait to hoist that trophy! We are the best team evar!!!

Still have to get past him first.
          Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

Comment

• Rudi
            #CyCueto
            • Nov 2008

That was so awesome. Fuck Man U, fuck Wayne Rooney's little whiny ass. Everything about the way he acted today really got under my skin. He complained about EVERYTHING, and was always throwing up his hands in frustration with his teammates.

God this feels so good. Now we just gotta take care business at Newcastle next week, which is a lot easier said than done.

Comment

• 1ke
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rudi
              That was so awesome. Fuck Man U, fuck Wayne Rooney's little whiny ass. Everything about the way he acted today really got under my skin. He complained about EVERYTHING, and was always throwing up his hands in frustration with his teammates.

God this feels so good. Now we just gotta take care business at Newcastle next week, which is a lot easier said than done.
              As he should have been. Because some of his teammates did not belong on the field.

Comment

• Rudi
                #CyCueto
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by 1ke
                As he should have been. Because some of his teammates did not belong on the field.
                True true. I was honestly so excited to see that neither Young OR Valencia were playing...those are the type of guys that City usually struggles with. When I saw they were not in the lineup I was hella excited. Any reason for that decision aside from Fergie just picking all the older guys with more experience in big games?

Comment

• 1ke
                  D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rudi
                  True true. I was honestly so excited to see that neither Young OR Valencia were playing...those are the type of guys that City usually struggles with. When I saw they were not in the lineup I was hella excited. Any reason for that decision aside from Fergie just picking all the older guys with more experience in big games?
                  Fergie went there not to win. 4-5-1 is United's European away formation. A formation designed for defense and possession and maybe stealing a goal maybe not. He knew a draw would do so he played it that way. Its worked in the past, but not this past season at all. So when he decided to go with that, everything else followed. Nani is in form right now. Valencia's form had been dropping a bit. Young never starts over Nani and Tony V when they are both healthy(not good enough). Plus that whole diving thing really rubbed everyone the wrong way. That leaves Park. Who I love dearly, and is Fergies go to guy for big games. But he hasnt played in a month. Rafael got bench for last weekend, so Jones came on for him.

And as for Rooney. Kompany man marked him all night. So all the pressure from Kompany, added with 5 in the middle, and nobody for him to pass to, he was lost. When you play as the 1 up top. You need the 5 behind you making magic. All the United Midfield did all night was make him chase balls he couldnt reach, or pass him the ball and watch him get his brains beat in.

The 4-5-1 was actually working too. The 1st half went exactly to plan for 45 minutes. Before that, United sat back, defended ok, and had it working. But, when you go and dont try to win, you get what you ask for. And thats what happened.

For me, my shit list is after this game.
                  Alex Ferguson
                  Phil Jones
                  Giggs
                  Park
                  Scholes

But, like I said they got what they deserved. Hats off. 2 wins for United and City each as they played 4 times this year, but United shit away the League with 1 point out of 9 in 22 days.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                    • Feb 2009

This has felt like such a weird, fucked up season. This really doesn't belong here... but lacking a Random Thoughts thread for this section, here it goes.

It almost seems weird to me that the title race is going to go right down to the wire. To the very end. I look at the top clubs in the Prem in terms of squad and talent and it feels like Manchester City should have run away with it. The talent that Manchester City has on its squad is probably only behind Barcelona and Real Madrid in global football. Whereas this seasons Manchester United feels like its a clear step down in overall quality from the title-winning United squads of the past few years. Even if neither side wins either of their remaining matches, their points total isn't far off the "norm" for a title-winning Prem side over the past decade and not far removed from the most dominant champions of the past decade (Chelsea with 95 points in 2004-2005). So why does it kinda feel like either side will make a slightly disappointing champion?

That's not trying to downplay the accomplishment. Not at all. But musing on the season as a whole (thus far), Manchester City only really seemed truly dominant in a few matches this season. They were very good in much of the rest, but simply being very good is part of what seems disappointing. Given the level of talent and the fact they have a very good manager, that doesn't seem like its quite enough. They had some great wins but they also had some poor games, such as the losses to Sunderland, Swansea City, and Everton. They just didn't seem to have the same consistency that I have come to expect out of a truly great Prem side. Perhaps if I go back and look closely at results, Mourinho's Chelsea and the Rooney-Ronaldo United would have those same occasional misteps...? And my perception might be colored somewhat by clear disappointment in Europe. Regardless, it ends up feeling like the 2011-2012 Man City were a great squad that was only upon occasion a truly great side.

As for United, it felt like they spent most of their season playing closer to their level of potential... but that potential was lesser than what City had. They had some poor results too. No matter what ends up happening and what their points total is, I just can't see this side as being on the same level as over the years preceding.

It goes beyond the top two, though. Arsenal have less overall talent than anytime I've followed them. They've featured several players quite regularly this season who don't belong on a Prem squad at all. They have one world class player who could start anywhere and one marginally top class player who could probably do well for most major clubs (Vermaelen). And yet they could still finish 3rd. In a sense that's a testament to Wenger (who also created the pseudo-mess that squad is in) and the one-man wrecking crew than RvP has been, but its also something of a negative against the overall quality in the Prem this season.

Tottenham looked really good for half the season and shite for the second half. Liverpool have only rarely looked like a "top four" club. Chelsea have been disappointing... and yet Chelski could end up champions of Europe. Newcastle have actually pretty very impressive, yet the degree to which other clubs have disappointed has over-shadowed that.

It goes beyond the Prem, even. Bayern Munich could also become champions of Europe and yet they are clearly not the best club in Germany this season either. Real Madrid have almost wrapped up La Liga... and yet that has to feel like a disappointing season, despite the side being outright brilliant at times. After starting out the season so strong and becoming "world champions", Barcelona are only likely to add the Copa del Rey at this point.

Maybe my perception is way off... yet it feels like a "down" season in so many ways. I think we're going to see lot of bigger clubs looking to "reload" this summer... Regardless of who wins the Prem or the Champions League. Between that factor and the European Championships, it should make for an interesting summer...

Comment

• 1ke
                      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                      • Mar 2009

I agree with all that. This was supposed to be a "transition" season for United this year. They are 2 midfielders away from being back tho. GK, Def, and CF's are fine.

Whats even more astonishing to me, is that had Madrid and Barcelona won the CL semis. There would have been an all Spain Finals for Europe. 5 teams in four semi final games in Europe this year for La Liga. Crazy.

Comment

• wr50l
                        Glen & CJ are secret Huns
                        • Oct 2008

I'm not really surprised that a midfield of Carrick, Giggs and worst of all Scholes could get outplayed all game. And I'm not all that shocked that a save-the-day sub of Wellbeck's quality would have absolutely no impact on the game. When you compare the two squads, City have bags more talent.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                          Posts too much
                          • Feb 2009

Agreed with Papa. I can't believe City didn't run away with the league this year, but I think the sum of their parts is equal to more than them as a squad. That could change as they play more with each other but it seems as if City will spend big again this summer. They'd be better off keeping the same squad and focusing on becoming a team rather than the mercenaries they are.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by 1ke
                            I agree with all that. This was supposed to be a "transition" season for United this year. They are 2 midfielders away from being back tho. GK, Def, and CF's are fine.

Whats even more astonishing to me, is that had Madrid and Barcelona won the CL semis. There would have been an all Spain Finals for Europe. 5 teams in four semi final games in Europe this year for La Liga. Crazy.
                            I think this was mostly a transition season for United. The squad felt that way, for the most part. I almost think they over-achieved to an extent, by doing as well as they have. And you're right - the United side isn't far away. But they just don't look as strong as City "on paper".

Originally posted by mgoblue2290
                            Agreed with Papa. I can't believe City didn't run away with the league this year, but I think the sum of their parts is equal to more than them as a squad. That could change as they play more with each other but it seems as if City will spend big again this summer. They'd be better off keeping the same squad and focusing on becoming a team rather than the mercenaries they are.
                            That sums it up nicely - the side didn't always equal to the sum of the individual players. And yes, they are probably best served moving forward by adding squad depth not major additions...

Comment

• Senser81
                              VSN Poster of the Year
                              • Feb 2009

I think the quality of play/player in the EPL has steadily declined over the past few years. Their best players now are either old or hurt. It used to be that any of the Big 4 could potentially win the EPL and the Champions League. Now Liverpool and Arsenal have fallen back to 2nd tier status with the Tottenhams of the league. I think Ronaldo signing with Real Madrid hurt both the EPL and ManU, because not only was he a good player he was also exciting. Its too bad that Fernando Torres cannot stay healthy, because he might have been able to add some flash to the EPL.

I watched Stoke-Arsenal a few days ago, and it was the same crap. Peter Crouch is playing for yet another EPL team scored a header, Van Persie scored a goal for Arsenal and was the only consistent threat on the team, and the game ended in a draw. It wasn't bad to watch, but you had the feeling that you were watching a 2nd tier game.

La Liga has signed away some of the potential EPL star players, but I wonder if the lesser European and Eastern European leagues have had a greater effect on the EPL by signing away potential EPL players.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                                Probably owns the site
                                • Feb 2009

Interesting big-picture commentary on the state of the EPL. I won't disagree with the sentiment, the top of the league was a bit underwhelming this year. As for City's summer, I too think/hope they keep the same squad in tact. I hope they avoid the temptation to add more big names just for the sake of making headlines. If there's an on-field tactical reason, sure, improve the club if you can, but I think most of the improvement could be found in house by letting the current group play together more and become a more cohesive unit.

Comment

Working...