Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Capitals letting Semin walk

There's change coming to the Washington Capitals this summer and it's not just their head coach. Barring a complete change of heart, forward Alexander Semin won't be back in Washington next season. According to Semin's agent Mark Gandler, the skilled forward has no intentions of signing a contract extension with the Capitals and plans on becoming an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"It was good while it lasted. With the lack of playoff success, with the direction they are going. They decided to change directions. That's within their rights. Alex doesn't fit into that system obviously," Gandler told ESPN The Magazine. "It just doesn't make any sense to him. He plays, he did the best he could under the circumstances and he earned his right to be a free agent."

Gandler said the strong priority for the Russian native is to play in the NHL rather than in the KHL next season and at 28 years old Semin would prefer to play somewhere his role is being expanded, including time on the penalty kill, rather than diminished.

Even with a new coach coming for the Capitals following Dale Hunter's departure Monday, that role doesn't appear to be in Washington. He averaged 16:47 of ice time this season, the lowest since his rookie year.

"I think the issue is with the organization, not necessarily with the coach," Gandler said. "They told us Alex is not going to play short-handed, he's not going to play in the last minute. He's going to get the same ice time as everybody else ... Alex is not ready to be a role player. He wants to be a full-time player. It's important to him."

Semin, who earned $6.7 million this season, had 21 goals in 77 games for the Capitals in 2011-12, including three in the playoffs. He's two seasons removed from scoring 40 goals under former Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau and is an interesting option for teams looking for scoring in a weak free-agent market. Although he was often frustrating in Washington, there still aren't many guys hitting the market capable of scoring 30 or 40 goals.

"I don't know what the market [for him] is going to be," Gandler said. "I know there aren't many players like Alex around."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/79...ed-free-agency
    No doubt Semin has talent, as he has a 38, 34 and 40 goal season on his resume, but he has a terrible attitude and can go missing from the stat sheet for huge chunks of the season.

For $6 million plus in cap space, I'll take the cap space. I would be shocked if Semin gets anything more than a one year deal and I'll the team that gives him more than that. He's got to prove he's got the mental edge, which just about anyone who has watched him knows he is missing.
  • Ravin
    Dishing the Gino's
    • Feb 2009

One year deal? Are you high?

He'll easily get a 3-5 year deal. No one is going to sign a 28 year old to just a one year deal and have him walk at 29 and go to another team. He won't get $6M, but he will for sure get more then a 1 year deal.
    All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Ravin
      One year deal? Are you high?

He'll easily get a 3-5 year deal. No one is going to sign a 28 year old to just a one year deal and have him walk at 29 and go to another team. He won't get $6M, but he will for sure get more then a 1 year deal.
      No, but you give him the security of a multi-year deal and you will have an unmotivated player who doesn't give a shit at times. If other NHL GMs haven't paid attention to his time in Washington, that's not my fault.

Comment

• Ravin
        Dishing the Gino's
        • Feb 2009

But you also have to assume he will resign with you. Say he signs with Team A, has a very productive year, but Team A misses the playoffs. Well if I am Semin I peace out of there while my stock is high and go to another team. Team A is fucked because of a one year deal.

I see what you are saying and wanting him to earn his contract, but that isn't smart practice. I'd give him a three year deal at least. He is 28 and still young. I wouldn't give him a 10 year deal, but 3-5 seems smart.
        All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Ravin
          But you also have to assume he will resign with you. Say he signs with Team A, has a very productive year, but Team A misses the playoffs. Well if I am Semin I peace out of there while my stock is high and go to another team. Team A is fucked because of a one year deal.

I see what you are saying and wanting him to earn his contract, but that isn't smart practice. I'd give him a three year deal at least. He is 28 and still young. I wouldn't give him a 10 year deal, but 3-5 seems smart.
          I don't think he's coming back. The team has tried to fit him into the plan, but with the focus turning towards a more defensive-first approach, I knew Semin wouldn't be brought back. There is also no way the Caps would bring him back at $6 million-plus.

I also see what you are saying, but I really think if Semin is on another team and disappears and pulls his pouting routine, he'll end up buried in the minors. I could always be wrong, but Semin just doesn't seem to have the desire to play the game up to his talent level.

Comment

• wr50l
            Glen & CJ are secret Huns
            • Oct 2008

I don't think Semin is anywhere close to borderline KHL talent to the extent that he'll have limited only short-term offers to stay in the NHL. Let's see ... has money and needs skill. Winnipeg? Dallas? Anaheim? I can't actually see any East Coast teams where he fits other than Montreal.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
              • Feb 2009

I would like to protect the tread title. It clearly should have been "Fly" rather than "Walk".

Comment

• Tailback U
                No substitute 4 strength.
                • Nov 2008

There are plenty of teams that could really use Semin.

Look what Brad Richards has done for the Rangers.

I don't know what their money situation is like, but I wonder what he could do for a team like the Bruins.

Shit the Predators, Blues, and even Coyotes could use him as well. Look at how Hossa took the Blackhawks to another level.

At least that's how teams will think. The reality is that he just wants to score goals, he doesn't really care about a Cup if he's not one of the main contributors.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Tailback U
                  There are plenty of teams that could really use Semin.

Look what Brad Richards has done for the Rangers.

I don't know what their money situation is like, but I wonder what he could do for a team like the Bruins.

Shit the Predators, Blues, and even Coyotes could use him as well. Look at how Hossa took the Blackhawks to another level.

At least that's how teams will think. The reality is that he just wants to score goals, he doesn't really care about a Cup if he's not one of the main contributors.
                  The problem is that all of those teams you mentioned play a defense-first style of hockey. If their front office has paid any attention to the situation in Washington, they would stay far away from Semin. The Blues and Predators have great hockey people, and I don't think they would make that mistake, but the Coyotes with new ownership could make a push for Semin.

Comment

• Ravin
                    Dishing the Gino's
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                    I don't think he's coming back. The team has tried to fit him into the plan, but with the focus turning towards a more defensive-first approach, I knew Semin wouldn't be brought back. There is also no way the Caps would bring him back at $6 million-plus.

I also see what you are saying, but I really think if Semin is on another team and disappears and pulls his pouting routine, he'll end up buried in the minors. I could always be wrong, but Semin just doesn't seem to have the desire to play the game up to his talent level.
                    I know he isn't coming back, that wasn't my point. He will go to some other team and easily get a 3year probably $5M contract or so. He is still a goal scorer and on a team that has a good mix of defence and offence, he will fit in on the offence. Washington was a one trick pony with everyone being full out offence, so of course when they went to play a defence game it would suck for certain players. I'm sure once he gets away from Washington things will turn around, as to be fair, that team hasn't been the most stable in the last couple years.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• leaffan
                      Colton Orr Fan
                      • Feb 2009

The only thing I noticed this year with Semin is he has a wicked wrist shot (probably top 5 in the league) but his taking nights off thing is still noticeable. I don't watch many caps games though so I don't get a chance to watch him play all that often.

He'll probably get a decent contract somewhere though. I really see him going to Detroit as top 6 scoring winger is a need there and they have the cap space to sign him.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by leaffan
                        The only thing I noticed this year with Semin is he has a wicked wrist shot (probably top 5 in the league) but his taking nights off thing is still noticeable. I don't watch many caps games though so I don't get a chance to watch him play all that often.

He'll probably get a decent contract somewhere though. I really see him going to Detroit as top 6 scoring winger is a need there and they have the cap space to sign him.
                        Yes, the Detroit rumors are already starting back up. Playing with both Zetterberg and Datsyuk could help. But you are right, he takes too much time off and just flat out disappears. I also think it is laughable that Semin's agent says he wants to play the penalty kill. Not with the effort he's shown, no way.

The Leafs might get rumored at some point, but I don't think Semin is a player that fits the mold Burke has.

Comment

• leaffan
                          Colton Orr Fan
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                          Yes, the Detroit rumors are already starting back up. Playing with both Zetterberg and Datsyuk could help. But you are right, he takes too much time off and just flat out disappears. I also think it is laughable that Semin's agent says he wants to play the penalty kill. Not with the effort he's shown, no way.

The Leafs might get rumored at some point, but I don't think Semin is a player that fits the mold Burke has.
                          I never understood wanting your goal scorers out on the PK but thats just my way of thinking.

Comment

• leaffan
                            Colton Orr Fan
                            • Feb 2009

lol more ovy comments coming out from a couple days ago. He was asked if he would have enough energy to play at the worlds and he said:

OVECHKIN: "Of course I have enough left for the Worlds. How can I say this? My ice time, the amount I was getting, wasn't much comparing to previous seasons. Again, whatever time I had I gave it my all. There is enough strength and the emotions left in me."
                            This team may start collapsing on itself over the offseason unless someone finds a way to cool these guys off. I really think caps management has screwed this entire situation up. I still think hunter was a bad idea too.

As much as I hate to say it Ron Wilson is exactly the type of coach they should probably go after. He plays a very speedy and offensively aggressive game. If Holtby continues to shine this will help that type of offense as well.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by leaffan
                              lol more ovy comments coming out from a couple days ago. He was asked if he would have enough energy to play at the worlds and he said:

This team may start collapsing on itself over the offseason unless someone finds a way to cool these guys off. I really think caps management has screwed this entire situation up. I still think hunter was a bad idea too.

As much as I hate to say it Ron Wilson is exactly the type of coach they should probably go after. He plays a very speedy and offensively aggressive game. If Holtby continues to shine this will help that type of offense as well.
                              Sometimes you can go back to a former coach, but I don't think the Caps will want Wilson back, even though no players remain from his teams. After his first season, where he took the team to the Cup Finals, he couldn't get out of the first round. Don't see it happening.

Comment

Working...