Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Flames select Hartley as new coach

Bob Hartley has been hired as the new coach of the Calgary Flames, the team announced on Thursday.

"Bob Hartley is a winner. Bob has won at every level he has coached, from the QMJHL to the AHL to the NHL to Switzerland, and we are confident he is going to continue his winning ways in Calgary," Flames general manager Jay Feaster said in a statement. "He is a tireless worker, an outstanding motivator, a great bench boss and game strategist, and a teacher at heart. Moreover, he is a great person as well."

The former Atlanta Thrashers and Colorado Avalanche bench boss coached in Switzerland with Zurich this past season. Hartley last coached in the NHL in the fall of 2007 after being fired early that season by the Thrashers following an 0-6-0 start.

He agreed to a three-year deal with Calgary. The Flames had to secure his release from his Swiss team because he had a year remaining on a two-year contract.

Hartley said he was in talks with the Montreal Canadiens about their coaching vacancy, but informed them this morning he would join the Flames.

"I am back in the NHL, but I am in a great Canadian market in a very proud community, very supportive community of their hockey club," Hartley said.

Hartley has a long-standing relationship with Feaster dating back to their days in Hershey of the AHL, Colorado's farm team at the time.

"It's great to return to the league in a city, a community and an organization that has such an outstanding reputation and passion for hockey and success," Hartley said in the statement released by the team.

The Flames parted ways with Brent Sutter at the end of the season, his contract having expired. Calgary narrowly missed the playoffs under Sutter for three years in a row. The Flames finished ninth in the Western Conference this season with a record of 37-29-16.

"One of the teams in the Stanley Cup finals, the L.A. Kings, just finished five points ahead of the Calgary Flames," Hartley said. "It's just to show you the difference between being a Stanley Cup winner and a non-playoff team is very, very slim.

"There's special expectations that come with a Canadian market. Growing up in Ontario, I've won many Stanley Cups playing pond hockey or in the street. I was very fortunate to win a Stanley Cup with Colorado and that's the kind of attitude I want to bring to this dressing room.

"I can promise you and I can promise the fans that we will not only give you entertaining hockey, but we will make sure that the Calgary Flames are a top team in the National Hockey League."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/79...tley-new-coach
  • DannyD
    VSN or VSD? You decide
    • Jun 2012

He was suppose to go to the Canadiens. Doesn't mattar though, both teams suck.

Comment

• Ravin
      Dishing the Gino's
      • Feb 2009

Same old team.
      Terrible contracts.
      No prospects in the system.
      Another coach change.

Did I forget anything with the Flames? No matter how many times they change their team, unless they get younger, they are not winning and will be the same "3-4 pts out of the playoffs" team they have been for the last couple seasons. Iginla WAS the face of the Flames, they need a new one. The guard needs to change. They just have been killed so many times with bad trades and signings, it is going to take more than Hartley to turn the team around.
      All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Ravin
        Same old team.
        Terrible contracts.
        No prospects in the system.
        Another coach change.

Did I forget anything with the Flames? No matter how many times they change their team, unless they get younger, they are not winning and will be the same "3-4 pts out of the playoffs" team they have been for the last couple seasons. Iginla WAS the face of the Flames, they need a new one. The guard needs to change. They just have been killed so many times with bad trades and signings, it is going to take more than Hartley to turn the team around.
        I think most people who follow the NHL, including a good portion of Flames fans, agree with that assessment. That team is too old, and with the lack of cap space, it will be difficult to add a difference maker to even get them into the 6-8 seed in the playoffs. Before Iginla and a few others lose their value, they need to be moved for younger pieces and picks and a youth movement needs to be started. Calgary is a team that needs it in the worst way.

Comment

• calgaryballer
          Tiote!
          • Mar 2009

It's an interesting dynamic here. I'm an Oilers fan, and obviously we have been the worst/second worst team in the NHL for a couple years running. However, I'd still rather be there than a Flames fan because the best you're getting with that team is an 8th seed and a first round sweep. At least I have the hope of the youngsters putting it together eventually. They have the hope that Tanguay doesn't fully blow balls for a season

Comment

• Ravin
            Dishing the Gino's
            • Feb 2009

It is interesting when you look at all the Canadian teams because except for the Canucks, every team is in some kind of a rebuild.....except the Flames.

Edmonton - collectiong a shit load of young people. NHL team not working yet, but guys need experience.
            Ottawa - Collecting young guys, promoted their AHL team, and shocked everyone who thought they would finish last.
            Toronto - Collecting young guys in their AHL system, haven't put it together in the NHL, but Marlies are rocking (Just like Ottawa's farm team did the year before)
            Montreal - Should be starting their rebuild soon

Calgary is just the stubborn kid who doesn't want to make a choice and is holding out for a better piece of the pie. They have the 14th pick this year and may get lucky and steal a talented player, but basically, they need to make that top 10. I would ask Iginla straight up where he wants to go, and just say we need to make a change. No one will ever be a Flame more than him, but the team needs a direction other than "Iginla's home till his career ends."
            All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

Working...