Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Capitals Hire Adam Oates as New Coach

Updated June 23, 1:32 p.m.: Following the conclusion of the draft, McPhee said that the Capitals “might” be able to wrap up the coaching search this week.

“If we do that’d be nice, but I can’t promise anything,” said McPhee, who added that he still has a few questions to ask of people who know the candidates. “They’re really good candidates. The hard part is picking the best one or the best fit because they’re all terrific.”

Original post: General Manager George McPhee made it clear from the start of the offseason that he would take his time considering candidates for the Capitals’ head coaching job. After this weekend’s NHL draft concludes, however, the process will take the next step because McPhee said he is done conducting interviews.

“We’re done with all the interviews and everything else,” McPhee said. “We’ll have to make a decision here in the next little while. The issue is not trying to find a competent guy because there are lots of them — it’s which one is the best.”

The Capitals have interviewed numerous candidates for the position Dale Hunter vacated on May 14 when he opted to return to London, Ontario, following the end of the 2011-12 season. Former Chicago assistant coach Mike Haviland, New Jersey assistant and former Capital Adam Oates, as well as AHL bench boss Jon Cooper are believed to be among those still in consideration.

“We’re going to switch gears after tomorrow and get back to that,” McPhee said. “We’ve talked to a lot of people and as I’ve said to you guys a number of times: We’ve just tried to be comprehensive and exhaustive in this process and we have been.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak
    Count me as favoring Adam Oates for this, I think another former player (who also was a Capital for a time) would be the best thing for this team moving forward.
  • Matt
    No longer a noob
    • Jun 2012

Officially in the Zach Parasi sweepstakes. He said 3 weeks ago he would love to play for him.

Comment

• EmpireWF
      Giants in the Super Bowl
      • Mar 2009

Capitals Hire Adam Oates as New Coach

WASHINGTON -- Adam Oates is the new head coach of the Washington Capitals, a source confirmed to ESPN.com.

Oates leaves the New Jersey Devils after two seasons behind the bench as an assistant coach. He was also an assistant in Tampa Bay in 2009-10.

The former star NHL center played in Washington from 1996 to 2002.

Oates replaces former teammate Dale Hunter, who stepped down after this past season. Hunter had replaced Bruce Boudreau in November.

http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?storyId=8098079&wjb
      Good move?

Comment

• Berowsk
        Fuck Bitches, Get Wawa.
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Matt
        Officially in the Zach Parasi sweepstakes. He said 3 weeks ago he would love to play for him.
        The Caps can enjoy Zach Parasi while the Wild enjoys Zach Parise.
        sigpic

Comment

• Rudi
          #CyCueto
          • Nov 2008

I'm a fan. It'd be dope as hell if Parise would sign with the Caps.

Comment

• Woy
            RIP West
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Berowsk
            The Caps can enjoy Zach Parasi while the Penguins enjoy Zach Parise.
            Fixed.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
              Late to the party.
              • Jun 2009

The Wings are definitely singing Pareesay though
              Originally posted by mgoblue2290
              If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Love the signing, I think Oates could really get through to the team. And while I said earlier I didn't want to sign Parise, I think that it could now be a legit option and I wouldn't be opposed to it. Considering that the Caps just acquired Ribeiro and have no one to really pair with him, that player could be Parise. I would still prefer to sign Suter, but now Parise may be ahead of him for the team on their wish list.

Comment

Working...