Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Flames acquire Wideman from Caps

The Calgary Flames have signed defenceman Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million contract after acquiring his rights from the Washington Capitals in exchange for blueliner Jordan Henry and a 2013 fifth-round draft pick.

Wideman, 29, was set to become an unrestricted free agent on Sunday.

Wideman finished in the top 10 among defencemen with 46 points, including 11 goals. He led all Capitals blueliners with 113 hits and 132 blocked shots.

More to follow.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399374
    Doesn't seem like the Flames are going to try and rebuild, and it looks like the Caps will probably be sticking with Mike Green and heading after Parise. If that is the case, it will be very tough to replace Wideman's almost 24 minutes a game and have reassurance if Green continues to suffer through injuries.
  • wr50l
    Glen & CJ are secret Huns
    • Oct 2008

Calgary have a team of veterans who have all the experience required to win the Cup if only they had the ability. Their team won't get any better adding quality mid-age defencemen either. Blow it up and avoid wasting half a decade as the 9th (un)seed.

Comment

• Ravin
      Dishing the Gino's
      • Feb 2009

Three defence signed to more than $5M, and they still have Sarich and Hannan to resign if they want, though I highly doubt that is going to happen now. Flames are just a wreck of a team and don't get any better every year. The best thing for them will be when Iginla calls it quits, then they can get his cap back (probably blow it) and rebuild.
      All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• leaffan
        Colton Orr Fan
        • Feb 2009

At least calgary will be fun to deal with again in nhl 13. Took me a solid 5 years to rebuild them properly in nhl 12 lol.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Ravin
          Three defence signed to more than $5M, and they still have Sarich and Hannan to resign if they want, though I highly doubt that is going to happen now. Flames are just a wreck of a team and don't get any better every year. The best thing for them will be when Iginla calls it quits, then they can get his cap back (probably blow it) and rebuild.
          They have no minor leagues to help fill out the depth chart, and they're up against the cap so it's not like they are, say the Caps, and can go out and fill a spot with Joel Ward and not have to worry about many cap implications. Text book rebuild needs to happen.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
            • Sep 2024

Sarich just re-signed a two year deal..........looks like the Flames desperately want to compete for the eighth seed instead of rebuilding

Comment

• Ravin
              Dishing the Gino's
              • Feb 2009

Jay Feasters days have got to be numbered in Calgary, as you can't keep making stupid moves all the time, killing your cap situation over and over, and not make any good strides. They have about $8M left in cap, they still have to sign Olli if they want to, and they have no money to go after anyone big in free agency. It is basically the same team as last season. Who would have thought the best thing for the Flames would be the retirement of their best player.
              All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Jay Feasters days have got to be numbered in Calgary, as you can't keep making stupid moves all the time, killing your cap situation over and over, and not make any good strides. They have about $8M left in cap, they still have to sign Olli if they want to, and they have no money to go after anyone big in free agency. It is basically the same team as last season. Who would have thought the best thing for the Flames would be the retirement of their best player.
                I've read they are letting Olli walk, and then they have to replace his power play production.

I didn't think Feaster would continue to mess this club up, but maybe it is coming from people higher than him, who don't want to rebuild? That is what I am thinking at this point.

Comment

Working...