Japan drought coming to an end? G1 Final, 7/22 NOAH links in this thread, AWARD TALK!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Japan drought coming to an end? G1 Final, 7/22 NOAH links in this thread, AWARD TALK!

Lots of stuff emerged today. Have at it, fellas:

G1 FINAL: Kazuchika Okada vs Karl "Machine Gun" Anderson

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xssu4b_kazuchika-okada-vs-karl-machine-gun-anderson-njpw_sport"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xssu4b_kazuchika-okada-vs-karl-machine-gun-anderson-njpw_sport" target="_blank">Kazuchika Okada vs Karl &quot;Machine Gun&quot; Anderson...</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Jahmale_Hepburn" target="_blank">Jahmale_Hepburn</a></i>

7/22/12 Complete NOAH show can be found here:

NOAH "GREAT VOYAGE 2012 IN RYOGOKU", 22.07.2012 Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan 8,000 Fans

Loaded show, here is the card spoiler free, i'm pissed that I read the results, didn't expect this to emerge so quickly:

NOAH "GREAT VOYAGE 2012 IN RYOGOKU", 22.07.2012 (G+)
    Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. Starting Point Revolution ~ Classmates Confrontation: Taiji Ishimori v. Masa Takanashi
    2. von Erich Brothers Japanese Debut Match: Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste v. Ross von Erich & Marshall von Erich
    3. NOAH vs. Diamond Ring - Master & Student Tag Confrontation: Kensuke Sasaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima v. Akira Taue & Genba Hirayanagi
    4. Special Singles Match - Yoshiaki Fujiwara-ism Legend: Mohammed Yone v. Yoshiaki Fujiwara
    5. Special Singles Match - NOAH vs. DDT: Kota Ibushi v. Atsushi Kotoge
    6. Special Singles Match - NO MERCY vs. WNC: TAJIRI v. Maybach Tanaguchi
    7. KENTA Return Match: Naomichi Marufuji v. KENTA
    8. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Super Crazy & Ricky Marvin v. Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki (c)
    9. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title: Yoshinobu Kanemaru (c) v. Christopher Daniels
    10. GHC Tag Team Title: Samoa Joe & Magnus v. Jun Akiyama & Akitoshi Saito (c)
    11. GHC Heavyweight Title: Takeshi Morishima (c) v. Go Shiozaki
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

sound is fucked up for the G1 Final, beggars cant be choosers oh well

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

G1 Final is awesome.

Okada is really, really great. LOL TNA.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Watched half of the NOAH show, gonna catch the rest tmw.

1. Good action in the opener. I love Ishimori. Wasn't familiar with the DDT wrestler, Takanashi, but he impressed me. Some fun spots here. It's short, watch it.

2. This was the match I posted a few days ago. Haste & Nicholls lookes really, really good. Much improved from previous tours. Von Erichs are green but weren't offensive.

3. I'm not going to rip Taue. Legend, Hall of Famer, all of that. He wrestles a few times per year, this is one of those times. Not nearly as ugly as I thought it would be. Kinda fun, actually. Skippable unless you love Kensuke & Nakajima.

4. Meh. Fujiwara, same boat as Taue. Old as fuck. Went for the FUJIWARA ARM BAR at the opening bell, fans bought it as the finish, so that was interesting. Skippable.

5. Kotoge is on loan from All Japan, so this was actually All Japan vs DDT in a NOAH ring. I loved this match. Kotoge is loaded with potential. Ibushi looked great, first time ive seen him since the injury lay off. They worked well together. This is a must watch. Good stuff.

I will say, there is a definite vibe in the arena during this show. This just feels like a big show. Maybe people were amped for KENTA's return. idk. But this is an atmosphere that NOAH has lacked for a long time. Can't wait to watch the rest.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
          • Feb 2009

Nice find.

Enjoyed the shit outta the Okada-Anderson match. The way Okada blocked the Anderson finisher attempts was a nice touch. Really come to enjoy Okada since he initially won the IWGP title.

I actually found individual match downloads for Morishima-Shiozaki and Marafuji-KENTA, too.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

I don't think I've ever heard your thoughts on Karl Anderson, W2B?

I know you aren't a big Bernard fan...but thoughts on Anderson? Also, thoughts on his push.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Not a big Anderson fan, no strong opinion either way, similar to Robert Roode/James Storm for me where if he's with the right person he delivers. I was not a fan of the Bernard/Anderson team and prefer Anderson as a single. Also like him better as a face.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bigpapa42
                Nice find.

Enjoyed the shit outta the Okada-Anderson match. The way Okada blocked the Anderson finisher attempts was a nice touch. Really come to enjoy Okada since he initially won the IWGP title.

I actually found individual match downloads for Morishima-Shiozaki and Marafuji-KENTA, too.
                The Rainmaker has to be Move of the Year. It looks great, and they've protected the fuck out of it. Okada hits it, you die.

Okada vs Tanahashi at WrestleKingdom is going to be bananas. BANANAS.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

I'm just saying this right now.

Okada v. Tanahashi has been the feud of the year.

Tell me otherwise.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    I'm just saying this right now.

Okada v. Tanahashi has been the feud of the year.

Tell me otherwise.
                    Jericho v Punk
                    Yuji Nagata v Funaki/All Japan
                    Gargano v Taylor

Cant even really think of much else. Am I missing something obvious? I feel like I am. Aries v Roode? Styles v Daniels? Idk. I agree, im digging Tanahashi/Okada.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

Jericho/Punk was good, but I felt like it lacked punch. Matches were good though.
                      Haven't caught much of Nagata/Funaki.
                      Gargano/Taylor, considering the blowoff, has been pretty damn good start to finish. Very well put together feud.
                      Aries/Roode was a good program, not sure if I out right think it was a feud.

Gargano/Taylor would really be the only competition.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

How you interpret the award matters, too.

Are you simply looking for something that had a good story and provided good action? Or something that drew money, which ultimately is the real measure of a great feud? Or a combination of both?

For me, the only one that punches every chad is Tanahashi/Okada.

Gargano/Taylor was an old school territory style story. Partners, friends, one turns on the other out of jealousy, superhero babyface vs pussy heel, old school violent "I Quit" blow off. It almost tells itself, it's classic, timeless, and always works. But it did nothing at the gate. I've had more people in my backyard for bbq's than EVOLVE draws, and DGUSA saw no bump either.

On the flip side, you have stuff like Rock/Cena that drew a lot of money, but really it was only one match during the voting period, and it was essentially over by April 3rd or whatever.

We don't know how HHH/Lesnar will turn out yet at the gate (ratings aren't moving, though), but it has a lot of work to do in terms of story. Could you imagine this turd if Heyman wasn't around to keep it afloat? If they have a great match and this thing gets some momentum, you can throw it in, but now we're reaching.

I agree that Punk/Jericho lacked something. I don't know what.

Punk/Bryan was all in ring, AJ killed it for me, did nothing for business if that matters to you.

Steen v Cornette? Steen v Davey Richards? #teambandit vs Children of the Corn geeks? (TONY KOZINA, WHEELMAN!)

Bully Ray vs Joe Parks?

Team TNA vs Team AAA?

Kenny King vs Cornette's handshake?

I've got nothin.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

Okada is going to clean up this year.

Hands down "Most Improved". Nobody in his galaxy.

He is the "Wrestler of the Year" right now in my view, especially since WWE has no serious contenders.

"Most Outstanding Wrestler" should be Okada, but it could go back to Daniel Bryan after losing for the first time in many years, because people will feel good voting for him again now that he's in high profile matches. El Generico is a darkhorse, too. Devitt is likely out because he was hurt a lot, and those NJPW votes will vote for Okada. Richards is M.I.A. and is probably not a contender to repeat.

"Move of the Year" has to be Rainmaker, I already explained my stance, and its funny because we just talked about this on twitter earlier tonight.

"Feud of the Year" vs Tanahashi.

He has several "Match of the Year" contenders, which might actually hurt him because the vote will be split. Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin will get all of the ROH fans votes, and the WWE fan vote will go to Undertaker/Triple H.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

I just had a long post that was lost discussing some awards...I'm not re-writing, butoverall points.

Okada is a good choice for Wrestler of the Year, because it is a year where there isn't a lot of top guys that have had a series of top matches. But, for my money, I would like to nominate Austin Aries. On his ascension to the top, he legitimized the companies top two titles and was the most vital cog in turning TNA from an ESPN-AWA bad product to one of the hotter, more legitimate products around, especially in the US. He isn't a draw, he doesn't pop a buyrate, whatever...but I think I want to award Aries importance with this award.

Okada though, does clean up on Most Improved, Move of the Year, and Feud of the Year.

Davey Richards v. Michael Elgin got 5-stars from me, and while I give them out pretty easily, its the only one from me for 2012 (only one from 2011).

Comment

• EmpireWF
                              Giants in the Super Bowl
                              • Mar 2009

Aries isn't a total stretch, assuming he isn't railroaded between now and November, or whenever the WON time period ends.

The only candidate from WWE is Punk and he's been placed in the back seat the entire year. He isn't even the top figure for them, despite being champion all year, with more emphasis put on Cena, Rock, Brock and HHH. However, Punk has had some great matches this year and is with the biggest and most profitable company.

It's unlikely Tanahashi wins his second in a row (only Race, Flair, Kobashi and Jericho have done that) and it does seem like Okada would be the choice of anyone out of Japan.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being 1. Punk, 2. Okada and 3. Aries with Tanahashi or a Dragon Gate/CMLL guy pulling up the rear....if Punk gets even the slightest bit of a push to finish the year. Otherwise, it really is a toss-up that Okada benefits from.

Comment

Working...