X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

FIFA World Cup Qualifiers 10/12 & 10/16

Landon Donovan and Brek Shea Ruled Out of Upcoming FIFA World Cup Qualifiers

CHICAGO (Oct. 9, 2012) - Landon Donovan and Brek Shea have been ruled out of the upcoming FIFA World Cup Qualifiers after further evaluations conducted by the U.S. Soccer medical staff on Tuesday morning. U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has indicated that no immediate replacements will be added to the roster.

Donovan suffered a knee injury in the LA Galaxy’s 2-1 loss this past Saturday night. He will return to Los Angeles later today to be further evaluated by club doctors.
    Shea entered camp with an abdominal strain that he kept him sidelined for FC Dallas since Sept. 29. Shea will continue treatment in Dallas.

“It’s unfortunate for Landon and Brek that they won’t be able to play,” said Klinsmann. “Landon was very optimistic over the weekend when his knee was feeling much better, but now he needs time to recover. We knew Brek was a question mark coming in, and now we have a clear picture of where he stands. We feel confident that the group we have will get the job done.”

The U.S. team is in Miami to prepare for its final two matches in the Semifinal Round of qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup against Antigua & Barbuda and Guatemala. The U.S. faces the Benna Boyz on Oct. 12 in North Sound, Antigua. Kickoff for the USA's first visit to the island is set for 7 p.m. ET and the match will be broadcast live on beIN SPORT.

Four days later, the U.S. will close out the Semifinal Round at sold-out LIVESTRONG Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan. That match will be broadcast live at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN2, WatchESPN and TeleFutura. ESPN2 will have a pre-game show beginning at 5:30 p.m. CT. Fans can also follow the match live on ussoccer.com's MatchTracker and via Twitter @ussoccer.

The U.S. is currently even with Guatemala at the top of Group A with seven points and matching totals in both goal differential and goals scored. Jamaica also has seven points but sits in third place due to a lower goal differential. With the three nations tied on points and jockeying for the top two spots, no team will be able to secure a place in the Final Round until the last group matches are played on Oct. 16.

As part of the continuing effort to connect with the fans, the U.S. Men's National Team will host a public training session on Sunday, Oct. 14, at 10:30 a.m. CT at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park. Admission and parking for the event are free.

Fans who pre-register on ussoccer.com will be entered to have a chance to meet U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann at the stadium prior to the training session.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)
    MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (4): Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders)

• mgoblue2290
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

We better get our shit together.

Comment

• Rudi
      #CyCueto
      • Nov 2008

Alan Gordon over Jozy

Comment

• f16harm
        -
        • Feb 2009

Many are going to think I am crazy......but IMO, Landon Donovan is becoming worthless and out of form for the U.S. squad. It always seems like something with Donovan the last year or so. I have zero faith in his skill and ability to be available for games anymore, let alone his ability in the games he plays to make a difference. If he isn't "on" in a game, he disappears as a non-factor. Factor in that we are still 2 years away from when we would need him to be a major impact in the World Cup matches and I find it impossible to rely on him. IMO, Klinsmann should start phasing Donovan out of the squad. Dempsey is our new Donovan, and his pedigree via play in the BPL for years is more impressive than a man who refuses to leave the MLS. i understand Donovan is trying to play the "supporting my home country league" card, but I think that's weak. Great players want to play with the best. The fact Donovan has never demanded a permanent move to the BPL after successful stints with Everton makes me believe he's a pussy, whether it be because he is afraid to live abroad, or afraid he'll eventually fail in the league.

Comment

• wingsfan77
          • Aug 2009

Still ticked off I can't watch the game from home on Friday. My girlfriend's family gets Direct TV so I'm gonna check and see if they get stupid BEin sports.

Comment

• killgod
            OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Rudi
            Alan Gordon over Jozy
            Jozy is a fat elephant cunt, I'd rather him be in the lineup if we was playing you.

Originally posted by f16harm
            Many are going to think I am crazy......but IMO, Landon Donovan is becoming worthless and out of form for the U.S. squad. It always seems like something with Donovan the last year or so. I have zero faith in his skill and ability to be available for games anymore, let alone his ability in the games he plays to make a difference. If he isn't "on" in a game, he disappears as a non-factor. Factor in that we are still 2 years away from when we would need him to be a major impact in the World Cup matches and I find it impossible to rely on him. IMO, Klinsmann should start phasing Donovan out of the squad. Dempsey is our new Donovan, and his pedigree via play in the BPL for years is more impressive than a man who refuses to leave the MLS. i understand Donovan is trying to play the "supporting my home country league" card, but I think that's weak. Great players want to play with the best. The fact Donovan has never demanded a permanent move to the BPL after successful stints with Everton makes me believe he's a pussy, whether it be because he is afraid to live abroad, or afraid he'll eventually fail in the league.
            Donovan lost the desire to compete, he admitted it. He peaked in South Africa.

Comment

• killgod
              OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
              • Oct 2008

from the ongoing U20 tourney in Spain..

...suck it America

Comment

• PP
                • Feb 2010

lol portufail.

Comment

• Rudi
                  #CyCueto
                  • Nov 2008

EDDIE JOHNSON

Comment

• killgod
                    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                    • Oct 2008

tomorrow. oh lawd tomorrow. Hex on the line. OH LAWD.

Comment

• Chrispy
                      Needs a hobby
                      • Dec 2008

I have a feeling tonight's game is going to be boring, all both teams (USA & Guatemala) need is a draw to advance.

Hopefully it doesn't though

Comment

• Rudi
                        #CyCueto
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Chrispy
                        I have a feeling tonight's game is going to be boring, all both teams (USA & Guatemala) need is a draw to advance.

Hopefully it doesn't though
                        Dunno...Klinnsman came out and said the US is going for all 3 points. Said they want to come out and win. Whether that actually happens we will have to see, but I hope we go for it. Fuck a boring 0-0 draw

Comment

• wingsfan77
                          • Aug 2009

Can someone explain the 'hexagonal' thing to me? I've tried looking it up but can't find it but it's mentioned everywhere.

Comment

• Trmszczykowski
                            The Mountain recast
                            • Nov 2010

Poland-England has been called off due to heavy rain. Might be rescheduled for tomorrow, or a November date.

Edit: 11 am ET tomarrow.

Comment

• Boss AZ
                              Hi Haters
                              • Feb 2009

PP

Comment

Working...