X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

The Last of McGuinness - official trailer

He reached his kickstarter goal back in the spring. This is the doc that chronicles his last days in the business and where he finally reveals why he was mysteriously forced to retire.

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

If uses a lot of the footage he has shown on the previews...it is going to be a good look not only at the last tour of his career, but a very good introspection into the independent wrestling scene.

Has any semi-confirmed rumors ever come to light about why he had to retire...or is that the big reveal?

I always figured it was concussion issues.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

It's still unknown why he had to retire.

I would suspect the reason will be very underwhelming. Probably concussions like you say. When TNA & WWE wouldn't use him, he kept working for a short while to shoot this footage, so it's clearly not something where one bad bump was going to kill him or cripple him. Plus, there is talk that he will eventually do the "heel calls out the babyface ex-wrestler announcer" angle in ROH at some point.

The only wrench is WWE rejected his medicals and then he worked all that time in TNA before they stopped using him. Maybe WWE just has harder standards for head injury (or TNA has none at all), and maybe he received a few more concussions while in TNA which forced doctors to tell him to stop.

Or maybe it's not concussions at all and I just wasted a bunch of time typing this.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
        It's still unknown why he had to retire.

I would suspect the reason will be very underwhelming. Probably concussions like you say. When TNA & WWE wouldn't use him, he kept working for a short while to shoot this footage, so it's clearly not something where one bad bump was going to kill him or cripple him. Plus, there is talk that he will eventually do the "heel calls out the babyface ex-wrestler announcer" angle in ROH at some point.

The only wrench is WWE rejected his medicals and then he worked all that time in TNA before they stopped using him. Maybe WWE just has harder standards for head injury (or TNA has none at all), and maybe he received a few more concussions while in TNA which forced doctors to tell him to stop.

Or maybe it's not concussions at all and I just wasted a bunch of time typing this.
        I actually just finished watching up one of the previews for the doc that I didn't see before, and there is a clip where he talks about how he saw his wrestling career and it didn't end with him not being a functional adult at 40. My guess is concussions.

The WWE runs pretty extensive medicals on you before they hire you. TNA, surely, has very little, if any at all. Same goes with drug use, certainly. It is why you see RVD openly state he is more comfortable in TNA because they don't drug test him and why you see Kurt Angle told to go home in the WWE to clean up and then he can go right into TNA with the same habit and keep on keep'n on.

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

He improved so much by the time he became player in late 2006. The feud with Danielson, awesome. The match with Marufuji in NYC =

On the down side, have to wonder how many of those fantastic matches contributed to his health problems.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
            He improved so much by the time he became player in late 2006. The feud with Danielson, awesome. The match with Marufuji in NYC =

On the down side, have to wonder how many of those fantastic matches contributed to his health problems.
            There is no question his physical style broke him down physically. He could barely move by the time he dropped the title to Lynn. If you recall, he had to miss a bunch of dates (actually, just matches, because he would show up and cut promos when he couldn't work), and fans were all over him. They turned it into a worked shoot where he would chastise the fans for expecting to him work hurt when the reason he was hurt to begin with was because of the physical matches he had performed for them. It was designed to turn him heel, and it did briefly, but the whole deal ultimately made him a bigger face than ever.

Anyway, I can't wait for this doc. Should be great.

Comment

Working...