X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

Scouting Developmental - aka the WWE NXT Thread

This thread is to discuss all things WWE NXT. It is the best TV the WWE has going right now. Basic, simple wrestling stories. Easy to identify wrestlers. Matches are given time.

For fun, I'm going to be giving little scouting reports on the NXT talents randomly, along the way. Could possibly give us all something to discuss in regards to who will become a star and who won't.

We'll be scaling each wrestler on a modified Bret Hart scale:

1. Look/Physical Presence
    2. Promo ability, being able to sell yourself on the microphone
    3. Pure in-ring ability

Instead of Bret's 10-10-10 model, we'll be working with a 5-5-5 model...because...well...fuck you, that's why.

If you aren't watching NXT, you should be. It is just basic wrestling TV, and sometimes, that stuff can be worthwhile...with the over-the-top product the WWE and even TNA give us week in and week out, you forget about just sitting back and watching some old WCW Main Event where its just a basic wrestling program. NXT gives me that, so, I tune in weekly.

Without further adieu.
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

Seth Rollins

What He's Up To - Rollins, the former Tyler Black of ROH-fame, is the reigning...defending, NXT Champion...the first and only champion of NXT for that matter...he won the title by defeating Jinder Mahal in the initial Gold Rush Tournament to crown the first NXT Champion. Since, he has defended against the token number one contender of the month. He's pushed as the #1 babyface and gets the desired reaction.

Look/Physical Presence: 3*
    -I guess I'll set a baseline with Rollins, I guess...he's got a look that can be successful in the WWE's midcard...as we've seen these alternative-look wrestlers like CM Punk and Jeff Hardy, although, he is a bland version of. Not physically imposing, but not a midget either.

*I initially set his line as the base for my scoring, but feel the need to bump him up a bit in this regard.

Promo Ability/Charisma: 3*
    - Again, I guess I'm setting a baseline with Rollins, and I may be overrating him a bit in this category as a result. His promos, like in ROH, bland, and at times a bit awkward. But, he's got a certain charisma to him that people can get behind.

*Bumped up to a 3 based on improved promos with The Shield.

In-ring Ability: 3.5
    - He's been improving in the ring since his Ring of Honor days. He's asked to work 15m+ and the matches have strong, clean finishes and everyone is put over in some way. A testament to the booking, for sure, but Rollins has been able to work in that bubble. He's not going to give you that WWE four or five star match, however, but he can give you some solid mid-card work.

Overall: 8.5/15.
    -I think Seth Rollins is the very definition of WWE midcard...and that isn't a bad thing. I think he could develop into a fine midcard worker for a long time. He is going to be able to capture a sect of the audience and hopefully he can carry that into a midcard career. He just needs to catch on with the right gimmick. As is, the alternative type smash dancing gets over like a fart in church with me, but the NXT Crowd gets behind him.

Is He Ready? He is as ready as he'll ever be.

*In a non-scored category...but a very important category, the name "Seth Rollins" is pretty bland, but not insultingly bad either.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jE4yFTgH9c

Last edited by LiquidLarry2GhostWF; 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

Roman Reigns

What He's Up To - If you aren't aware, Roman Reigns is the former Leakee (for those that watched FCW) or Joe Anoa'i if you watched Georgia Tech football. He just recently re-debuted on NXT with the Roman Reigns name and squashed some jobbers. Fantastic. He's Rosey's brother, son of Sika, FWIW.

Look/Physical Presence: 5
      - He looks like a million bucks. Rocks a suit like a champ, too.

Promo Ability/Charisma: 3.5+
      - For a guy that was just given permission to talk three weeks ago, in the limited times I've seen him talk, its not bad. Natural heel. He isn't good either yet, but I give him the bump on this score not for his talking, but for his natural charisma...oozes the million bucks he looks. Carries himself like what Vince and Mr. H's envision a top guy to carry himself like.

In-ring Ability: 1.5+
      - I haven't seen the guy in anything but squash matches...and, while he isn't a dynamo yet, he's pretty damn athletic and pretty smooth in the limited jobber squashes I've seen. I'll give him a pretty low score here for now, but he's got some upside here to be a serviable main event big man.

Overall: 10+/15
      - Sky is the limit for this guy. He could become a complete DUD like a lot of the wrestlers that look the part, or he could be a future main eventer. I've only seen him for a few weeks along with a few clips as Leakee back in his FCW days, but he's got what they look for at the top of the card in the WWE, for sure. He just needs something to sink his teeth into and flesh out a real character other than being the cocky young upstart heel that squashes jobbers. A lot of folks will think the name "Roman Reigns" is another corny WWE name...but, fuck it, I dig it.

Is He Ready? Not yet. He needs to flesh out a character, and harness that natural ability.

(Oh, and for future references +'s mean "upside")

Comment

• JimLeavy59
        War Hero
        • May 2012

I like Roman he has a nice look but not that roided out look like Ryback.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

Dean Ambrose

What He's Up To - In NXT? Nothing. He's been MIA from developmental for a while now, despite only being under the WWE umbrella for a year and a half. But, he was a mainstay in FCW before it molded into NXT. Last year, had a very good, well publicized and received feud with William Regal. Also had a feud with current NXT Champion, Seth Rollins in FCW. Ambrose is the former Jon Moxley, who ran the streets with Sami Callihan on the American Indy scene.

Look/Physical Presence: 3
          - A pretty bland look at first, but he's got some depth considering his character.

Promo Ability/Charisma: 4.5+
          - He pulls off a heel like a million bucks. Many have compared him, potentially, to a Roddy Piper-esque heel. I don't quite see that upside, but he can talk. He's had a few super awesome promos already. This could be bumped up, but, there is a chance Ambrose's current character or direction doesn't get over with the WWE Universe on that stage. It is very "Indy" in that regard. He's got the 2-4m crazy person backstage promo down as well as anyone in developmental.

In-ring Ability: 4
          - His work in WWE Developmental had been much better than his work on the Indy scene. He put together some very solid matches versus William Regal, Seth Rollins, Damien Sandow, among others.

Overall: 11.5/15
          - He projects as a potential heel FOIL for top faces at the top of the card. It will take a slow build to get there, but he's got some very strong potential in that regard. Also, in the very important name category...not insulting.

Is He Ready? Yup.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

btw - for those that want to watch NXT...it comes out on hulu every Thursday morning at like 2am. I am sure you can find it around the 'net for free, too.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
              No longer a noob
              • Apr 2011

I think you're a little hard on Black's physique, though that's probably because he's in the land of the giants promotion. Black is long and lean, and has a solid build. Solid looking dude (no homo), shades of a young Randy Orton. His charisma is next to non-existant though. I don't understand the two grades being the same, and it shows the flaw in your choice to go from a more varying 1-10 scale to a far inferior 1-5 scale. The entire Hart family laughs in your general direction.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Highwayman
                • Feb 2009

I'll get it out of the way...there is only one chick in NXT worth talking about...

Her name is Paige, a limey British cunt...

I would fuck the ever loving shit out of her for days on end. Insanely hot and in a dirty, perverse way, too.

She looks like you'd bring her back to your high-rise apartment...you know, the one with your mattress on the floor and ever-dirty, with boxes of empty Cookie Crisp strewn around...and just go on a bender for a week while you just fuck the shit out of this Paige broad and veg out on some sort of narcotics. And, during a moment of sober-ness, she just kind of gets up and leaves finally, after like...2 weeks of living at your place. That kind of hot.

/End Review.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by s@ppisgod
                  I think you're a little hard on Black's physique, though that's probably because he's in the land of the giants promotion. Black is long and lean, and has a solid build. Solid looking dude (no homo), shades of a young Randy Orton. His charisma is next to non-existant though. I don't understand the two grades being the same, and it shows the flaw in your choice to go from a more varying 1-10 scale to a far inferior 1-5 scale. The entire Hart family laughs in your general direction.
                  He's basically mid-card for life. His charisma has gotten better since his ROH days, perhaps, more of a charm to him (maybe, because the Full Sail crowd doesn't shit on him every show, perhaps?)...and, his physique is just mid-card for life...Randy Orton is like 6'3"-6'4" and torn to shreds. Black is pushing 6'0" with lifts in his shoes.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                    No longer a noob
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    He's basically mid-card for life. His charisma has gotten better since his ROH days, perhaps, more of a charm to him (maybe, because the Full Sail crowd doesn't shit on him every show, perhaps?)...and, his physique is just mid-card for life...Randy Orton is like 6'3"-6'4" and torn to shreds. Black is pushing 6'0" with lifts in his shoes.
                    I thought he was like 6'3. Goddamn wrestling inflated measurables!

Also, I said young Randy Orton. Orton has always been in great shape, but he wasn't the juiced freak he has been the last 6-7 year's back in 02-ish.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by s@ppisgod
                      I thought he was like 6'3. Goddamn wrestling inflated measurables!
                      I'd buy Rollins at 6'1" is that is what you were selling. Joe Hennig is like 6'2" and he's noticeably shorter than him. IMO, he's around 6'0"...not insultingly small or anything, just not a big dude.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                        War Hero
                        • May 2012

Rollins is the same height as CM Punk, Which I think Punk is about 5'11''

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

Great thread.

I've seen Rollins in person have ****+ matches. He can go if given the chance. He will never ever never ever ever be a good promo. Some guys have it, some guys don't, and some never will. He never will. Take it to the bank. He can't talk. A guy like Eddie Guerrero who one day wakes up and is an elite all time promo is once per generation.

I was not a fan of Jon Moxley on the indy scene. I never "got" him. With that said, much like Colt Cabana, another guy I never "got", I think he is tailor made for WWE and I think he will do very well.

Roman Reigns is Vince McMahons wet dream. If he learns to talk and can work at a serviceable level, he has the most WWE upside of the three.

And if you guys haven't figured it out, these are the same three guys who killed Ryback tonight.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

Big E Langston

What He's Up To - He recently re-debuted in NXT. His gimmick is "Validation of Domination" where he has his jobber opponents down for a FIVE count. Vickie Guerrerro was recently down for a taping and during it, Big E remained face, humiliated Vickie by throwing baby powder in her face and the result was Vickie issuing an old school "bounty" on his head.

Look/Physical Presence: 4
                            - Normally, guys like this would get a 5. He's yolked up beyond recognition. BUT, he's short. Billed at only 5'11"...so, he's more like 5'9" or less. Short and stout.

Promo Ability/Charisma: 2.5
                            - He has no ability to cut a promo. He just kind of yells "FIVE...FIVE...FIVE" ala The Berzerker yelling "HUSS!"...when he calms down, its a slow, old AWA style promo that really comes off awkward in 2012. BUT, he just connects with the crowd, they eat him up and he oozes a certain charisma. Perhaps it'll be a DUD at the big show, but at Full Sail, the minute he steps out from behind the curtain the crowd eats him up.

In-ring Ability: 2
                            - So far, we've all I've seen him do is squash jobbers. BUT, he moves with a crispness, and shows his athleticism and confidence in his limited moveset that works...so far. still though, very green in the ring, and lord knows how he'll work in a match with extended time.

*I've seen some improvement in his in-ring ability since being given the opportunity in the main event of NXT AND on the main roster.

Overall: 8.5/15
                            - A lot of people will think Big E is destined for big things. He looks great, has a connection with the fans, and he looks good in his limited moveset. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more Ezekial Jackson than Monty Brown. He will surely get his time to shine with a mid-card push with a title to see how it gets him over. He's got some upside, but he's kind of short and he can't talk. I do think he can avoid the Michael Tarver path, fortunately.

Is He Ready? Nope.

MEMO MONTENEGRO!!!!

Last edited by LiquidLarry2GhostWF; 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                              War Hero
                              • May 2012

You gotta do Bray Wyatt.

Comment

Working...