• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

WCW 1991 - Rewatch Megathread

In this thread, I rewatch 1991 WCW.

1991 was a really fun year for WCW. While 1989 blows it away in the ring, and 1993 & 1994 blow it away in terms of offbeat shenanigans, 1991 was a nice blend of both, and for me, the last of the "vintage" WCW years ('85-'91). 1992 was weird, and 1993 no longer had the classic southern wrasslin' WCW feel. The Hulkster ran wild in 1994, and southern wrasslin' was dead.

It was the year Ric Flair left. It was the year Rick Rude returned. Sting blossomed. Vader was being used more in between Japan tours. The Four Horseman were around early on, and The Dangerous Alliance came later, and THE YORK FOUNDATION came in between. Paul E had one of, if not his best years as a performer. Luger! Windham! The Diamond Studd! OZ! Ron Simmons! Stunning Steve Austin! PN NEWS!

I'll be rewatching the flagship shows, Saturday's World Championship Wrestling & Sunday's WCW Main Event, along with the six PPV's and four Clash of the Champions specials.

PPV
    -WrestleWar '91 "War Games"
    -WCW/New Japan Supershow
    -SuperBrawl I "Return of the Rising Sun"
    -Great American Bash (oh so bad)
    -Halloween Havoc "Chamber of Horrors" (awesomely bad)
    -Starrcade "BattleBowl: The Lethal Lottery" (awesomely bad)

Clash of the Champions
    -Clash XIV "Dixie Dynamite"
    -Clash XV "Knocksville USA" (guess the location)
    -Clash XVI "Fall Brawl" (soon to be a PPV!)
    -Clash XVII (this had no clever name)

Let's do this.
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

World Championship Wrestling - January 5, 1991

Ah, it's 6:05 eastern time, so you know what that means. Two hours of wrestling on TBS.

They used to tape these shows waaaaay in advance in those days, so this January edition was probably filmed in May of 1990 or something (ok, maybe not that far in advance, probably November).

A youtube uploader by the name of "DixieGold01" was gracious enough to upload a bunch of these full episodes, so thanks to him. With a handle like that, and the fact that he has rebel flags all over his background, something tells me DixieGold01 is one of the millions of southern wrestling fans who stopped watching in 2001. He's probably also a raging racist who drives a pickup truck, complete with a gun rack & illegal gigantic tires, too. But hey, thanks for the uploads, man!

Before the opening title screen, we get a cold open of the closing moments of the Z-Man (Tom Zenk) winning the World Television Title from Arn Anderson "last week". A nice touch, emphasizing the importance of the number three singles title in the pecking order. Yes fans under 30, it wasn't all that long ago that titles meant something and title changes were treated like a big deal.

The World Television Title meant you were the best wrestler on TV, dammit. And that champion was always a fighting champion, because unlike the United States champ & World champ, he had to defend that thing EVERY WEEK on TV, so they usually booked that title with solid workers in mind who could have good TV matches.

Jim Ross & BOB CAUDLE are our hosts. Caudle explains that we have TWO feature matchups tonight, and both revolve around the aforementioned TV title. Tom Zenk will make his first title defense, and Arn Anderson, the former champ, takes on Terry Taylor, in what Caudle says is a very important match for Anderson if he wants a crack at winning his title back. At this point, my nipples harden from the excitement I am feeling as Caudle puts the third most important title in the company over stronger in a matter of twenty seconds than WWE or TNA manage to do these days with their World titles.

Time for a match!

Sid Vicious vs Pablo Crenshaw

PABLO CRENSHAW. What a name. Crenshaw is a black fella with a wacky 1920's hairstyle, who would fit right in on Boardwalk Empire as one of Chalky White's henchmen. Unfortunately for Crenshaw, he is facing Sid Vicious, which means we are in for a violent squash, which i'm sure DicxieGold01 will enjoy immensely. Sid explains in the inset that he rules the world. Sid immediately kicks Crenshaw in the chest, followed by a border toss. Sid plays to the crowd. I can't figure out if he's a face or heel at this point, because the fans are going crazy. Powerbomb, foot on the chest, pin.

Your winner, "Big" Sid Vicious. Hey, that's what the ring announcer said.

PAUL E DANGEROUSLY is standing by with Rip Rogers. Rogers will take on Flyin' Brian Pillman, in a match where pins won't count in the first five minutes of the match. Why, you ask? Rogers explains that he has better cardio than Pillman, so he feels like a longer match gives him an edge. Paul E is amused by all of this, and agrees that Rogers is in fantastic shape. OK.

WCW Hotline commercial. Wednesday's are "Missy Does Mail".

Rip Rogers vs Flyin' Brian

Rogers is decked out in his usual pink. Rogers does an effeminate gimmick, but aside form the pink, that part of his gimmick is toned down here. Pillman immediately goes for a pin, making him look like a geek because he doesn't understand the rules. Pillman then goes for a pin AGAIN, making him really look like a geek. Pillman, still not understanding, goes for TWO MORE PINS, and this time, THE REF COUNTS. What is going on here? Meanwhile, the ring announcer, Tony Gillam, chimes in with "three minutes have passed, three minutes". So apparently only the ring announcer & Rogers understand the rules.

As Rogers dominates, Caudle wonders aloud if maybe there is something to this time limit plan that Rogers has concocted. I love Caudle. Now Rogers goes for a pin. And the ref counts. WTF. Ross stops trying to cover for the wrestlers at this point.

Five minutes have now passed, so now the pinfalls count. Pillman goes for a superfly splash, but that crafty Rogers put up the knees. Rogers is still dizzy from an airplane spin he did 2 minutes ago. Nice touch. Pillman takes advantage by going back up to the top rope, and connects with a sunset flip for the pin. Good action, including some fun brawling outside the ring. Rogers is a fantastic jobber to the stars, good worker.

Jim Ross announces the details of the WCW SEXIEST WRESTLER CONTEST, and sounds a little embarrassed to be talking about it. Fans can send in postcards (which will be no doubt tossed directly in the trash) to vote, and the winner (this will totally be worked) will be announced at Clash of the Champions (in what will probably set up an angle where a jealous heel attacks the babyface winner).

More highlights of Z-Man's title win over Anderson. They are really hammering this home, and I love it. WCW Center Stage went nuts for the title change. Z-Man cuts a promo, says he won't duck a single challenger. He notes that the Horseman now have no titles. Subtle burn.

The commercials were left on the upload. Fascinating stuff, like old Burger King spots, trailers for DOUBLE IMPACT starring Jean Claude Van Damme, coming to a theater near you this Friday, and of course, the TBS staple, Goody's headache powder.

Bobby Eaton vs Reno Riggins

Yes! Reno Riggins, a classic jobber from the era. Riggins is usually a WWF jobber, so I was not expecting this. In the inset, Eaton cuts an awful promo calling out new World TV champ Z-Man. They are really, really putting over this title. Apparently Eaton gets the title shot at Clash. I think I will enjoy that. Eaton is still rocking his Midnight Express tights. It says LAS VEGAS, in what looks like cheap screen printing, on Riggins trunks.

Riggins dominates the action early, and for some reason, after a near fall, the two men shake hands. Eaton is classy. Caudle, who is quickly becoming my favorite announcer: "I think Eaton is getting frustrated because he didn't think Riggins would be this tough!". Ross points out that for the first time, Eaton is ranked in the WCW Top Ten. This impresses Caudle. Eaton does some subtle cheating, which angers Caudle: "An athlete of this caliber shouldn't have to resort to that!". I agree.

Riggins goes for a Muta handspring elbow (seriously), and Eaton counters with a bulldog in what was a really fucking cool spot. This sets up the Alabama Jam, which is possibly the coolest finisher in WCW. 1-2-3. Bobby Eaton might look like shit, and he might talk like shit, but he is awesome in the ring and I can watch him all day.

Paul E is with Terry Taylor. Now Taylor is calling out Z-Man. This is great. Everybody wants the TV title. Taylor is whining about Z-Man getting "his" title shot last week. Taylor says he will go through Arn Anderson tonight, and then the championship committee will have to stop ignoring him. Word. Paul E makes awesome faces during these interview spots.

We are told that 'tomorrow' on WCW Main Event, it's Norman & The Juicer vs. The Freebirds. They show Jimmy Garvin selling Art Barr shooting silly string at him. I have to track this down.

Renegade Warriors vs Ed Brock & Chuck Coates

Tag team action. Renegade Warriors are Mark & Chris Youngblood doing the stereotypical indian gimmick. Brock & Coates are thick jobbers with crew cuts. The Youngbloods will face Arn Anderson & Barry Windham at Clash. And hopefully lose. Because they stink. This match stinks. Lots of chops. They even do the "woo woo woo woo woo!" gimmick. Fast forward. Indians win with the Doink whoopie cushion. Then they war dance. Meh. They actually did lots of good athletic stuff, but the gimmick is a turn off.

Minotaur vs Mountain Man Bailey

LOL. Mountain Man Bailey hails from "the great Smokey Mountains" and wear overalls. He also sports a sweet mullet and looks like an early prototype of Henry Godwinn. Minotaur is the ex Steve DiSalvo/Steve Strong, a former main eventer in Calgary & Puerto Rico. Minotaur is apparently half bull. Bob Caudle is confused. So am I. He has some odd apparatus on his arm, and he crawls on all fours before diving forward like a bull. This is AWFUL. Ross pushes the WCW Sexiest Wrestler contest again. I'm voting for Man Mountain Bailey. Ross would like to know more about this strange apparatus on Minotaur's arm. So would I. Minotaur wins with an elbow drop, using the arm with the apparatus. That can't be legal, c'mon ref. Negative a million stars for this.

A commercial for Turbo Grafx 16. I forgot Bonk's Adventure existed.

Lex Luger vs Mike Sample

The Big Cat (Curtis Hughes) faces Luger at the Meadowlands, and he cuts a brutal promo in the inset. Now I know why he was best served in a silent bodyguard gimmick. Luger is tossing around Sample, who is no small man. Luger is really put together. He must spend hours in the gym, since WCW has a rigid steroid policy. Luger puts away Sample. I was bored by this.

Michael Wallstreet (w/Alexandra York) vs Gregg Sawyer

Ross tells us Wallstreet is not only undefeated, but has also appeared on the cover of USA Today. I'm not buying it. York has her gigantic laptop. York informs Sawyer that according to the data on her "computer sheet", he will lose to Michael Wallstreet in less than 6 minutes. That computer isn't exactly going out on a limb with that one. There hasn't been a match on this show that has gone longer than six minutes. Still, I love this gimmick. York & Wallstreet analyze the data as Wallstreet undresses. The clock is running while this is going on, btw. I wonder if York accounted for this. I mean, Wallstreet is completely disrobing. He came to the ring in a suit & tie, and has a wrestling singlet on underneath. This is taking forever. Now I know why Rotundo left the shit on as IRS. Ross says the elbows are "paying dividends" for Wallstreet. Get it, get it? Ross says Wallstreet is big into junk bonds, and thinks the SEC should look into it. Snitch. Caudle doesn't know what to make of the computer data. Wallstreet wins with 2:56 left on the clock. The computer wins again.

That's it for hour one. It's 5am. I'll be back with hour two later.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

World Championship Wrestling - January 5, 1991 (cont)

Missy Hyatt is interviewing the victorious Michael Wallstreet when Paul E interrupts. He wants to know why she is doing his job. I was curious, myself. Hyatt goes nuts and says Paul E is jealous because a woman can do his job. York jumps in and accuses Paul E of being a chauvinist. The bitches are nuts. Paul E storms off.

Z-Man (c) vs Dr. X - World Television Championship

OK, who the hell is Dr. X, and why is he getting the first crack at the new champ? Billed at 309 lbs, Dr. X, a masked man, is barely bigger than Zenk. He's from parts unknown, which I pop for. Ross & Caudle know nothing about this man, who is decked out in black from head to toe. A bunch of awkward spots here. Z-Man could be shaky in the ring at times, and this Dr. X isn't exactly holding up his end.

Terry Taylor emerges from the locker room. He heads to the broadcast booth to complain again about his lack of title shots. I gotta say, if the likes of Dr. X are getting a crack at the TV title, Taylor probably has a point. Ross says Zenk is a favorite for the WCW Sexiest Man Contest. No homo. Zenk wins with his dropkick off the top.

Fabulous Freebirds vs Keith Hart & Jimmy McKinon

No, not that Keith Hart. Michael Hayes is looking garish. A man who claims to enjoy the company of women should not be wearing what he is wearing. Hart takes a dangerous backdrop bump on the outside that would make Dolph Ziggler cringe. The match cuts off at this point, because WWE has claimed copyright on parts 9 & 10 of this playlist. Oh well.

Terry Taylor vs Arn Anderson

We join this in progress. I hate to harp on this, but Taylor has a great point. To get a title shot he has to beat the former champion, a tough as nails Arn Anderson, but Mr. X waltzes into WCW with his stupid mask and gets the first crack at Zenk. Good action here. Readers of my top 100 know im a Taylor fan. And Anderson surely would have made my list had I not eliminated him and many others for being tag team wrestlers (because I was going to do a tag team top 100, but that's probably never going to happen). SPINEBUSTER! Yes. Taylor kicks out. Taylor hits a crossbody block, but Anderson rolls over using the momentum, puts his feet on the ropes for leverage, and cheats to win. What I saw was very good.

Ross interviews Lawrence Taylor, who is cornering Lex Luger against Big Cat in New Jersey. Whatever.

Tim Horner vs George South

YES! YES! YES! This is awesome. Horner is a great wrestler, a star in various territories, but a jobber to the stars here. South is a classic WCW job guy, who doubled for years as a big indy star in the Carolinas and feuded endlessly with fellow WCW jobber Italian Stallion. A fast paced three minute match packed with action. You can't have a better three minute match than this. Horner hits a bridging roll up for the pin. I loved this. Matches like this are right up my alley. Two unheralded guys who can go, who usually lose, and one man must win. And they delivered. Fun match.

Ross, Paul E, and Missy close the show. Paul E & Missy will arm wrestle at Clash. Paul E calls Missy a whore and catches a slap across the face. Paul E sells this like he got shot with a shotgun as Ross signs off & the credits roll.

Best Match - Bobby Eaton vs Reno Riggins. It was probably Taylor/Anderson, but I only saw the closing minutes, so I have to be fair. Pillman/Rogers would have been the best had they not ignored the stip so blatantly.

Worst Match - Minotaur vs Man Mountain Bailey. One of the worst things i've ever seen.

Comment

• Cornelius
        3rd place is you're fired
        • Oct 2010

I remember watching Flair vs. Sting on TBS when Sting was something like the Russian from Rocky IV. Good thread.

Favorite part: "Worst Match - Minotaur vs Man Mountain Bailey. One of the worst things i've ever seen."

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

Did Man Mountain Bailey become Man Mountain Rock in the WWF?

Comment

• FedEx227
            Delivers
            • Mar 2009

Legit had no idea Reno Riggins was in WCW ever.
            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• FedEx227
              Delivers
              • Mar 2009

I really want to check out some of the 91-92 WCW PPVs. it's an era filled with future stars and some unique WCW booking. Amazing you'll see Scott Halls, Steve Austin, Brian Pillmans running around and then the Ding Dongs and Shockmaster.
              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Highwayman
                • Feb 2009

During this year...you will watch one of my personal favorite matches of All-Timez.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                  Giants in the Super Bowl
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Did Man Mountain Bailey become Man Mountain Rock in the WWF?
                  No, MMB was someone else...but no idea who. There's no info/pics/video of the guy.

Comment

• FedEx227
                    Delivers
                    • Mar 2009

Yeah, I couldn't find anything online.
                    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

1991 has some hidden gem type matches, but they are few and far in between.

Awesome tag match at SuperBrawl 1.
                      Halloween Havoc was WrestleCrap bad, but I recall a really good Beautiful Bobby and Terry Taylor match.
                      Steamboat/Rhodes v. Arn/Living Legend also very good.

Comment

• FedEx227
                        Delivers
                        • Mar 2009

I think my favorite part of that Halloween Havoc is the Chamber of Horrors was the opener.
                        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

btw - I prefer 1992 to 1991, just saying.

Comment

• FedEx227
                            Delivers
                            • Mar 2009

I think overall, combining the two companies 1992 is one of the best in-ring years. I loved what both companies were producing.

Obviously 97 takes the cake from an storyline perspective but I think it's hard to find a better worked year than 92.
                            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                              Highwayman
                              • Feb 2009

1992 WCW from a in-ring quality standpoint was pretty damn awesome. So many good matches.

Comment

Working...