X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheImmortalGoud
    No longer a noob
    • Jan 2011

NASCAR Chase Ratings Down 13%

In what has to be considered a discouraging sign for America's most popular racing series, NASCAR again saw a dip in viewership for this year's Chase for the Cup. The 10 week series averaged a 2.7 rating and 4.2 million viewers nationwide in 2012, which is a double digit decline from last year. As reported by SBJ's Austin Karp on Twitter...

Austin Karp@AustinKarp
    Chase for NASCAR Sprint Cup across ESPN/ABC avgs 2.7 rating (4.2M viewers), down 13% from '11 (excludes last year rainout at Chicagoland)

What's worse? This year's decline continues a downward trend for the sport. Jayski has a detailed log of NASCAR ratings for the past four years here if you're interested and Sports Media Watch has Chase ratings since its inception in 2004. The bottom line is that NASCAR's viewership has almost been cut in half since 2006 when the sport averaged 7.8 million viewers in 2006. Chase ratings have dropped two full ratings points since a high of 4.7 in 2005 with this year tying the record low of 2010. This year, 0 out of 10 Chase races saw an increase in ratings from 2011. Zero. And that was with the drama at Phoenix and the championship coming down to the final race with Jimmie Johnson and Brad Keselowski.

Although there were some races up this year, especially during the summer, NASCAR has got to find an answer to stop the bleeding. Whether it's a continuation of "boys have at it", new stars like Brad Keselowski emerging, or the presence of more drivers with more unique personalities, the sport is in despearte need of something to reverse the trend.
  • Rudi
    #CyCueto
    • Nov 2008

Damn, thats no good. Hopefully Keselowski winning it will help it get some exposure/more ratings since he's so big on Twitter. I think the series is in desperate need of some type of rivalry.

Oh, and I bet ratings would sky rocket if Dale Jr. starts winning more races..or if Danica Patrick raced full time and did well.

Comment

• Youk
      Posts too much
      • Feb 2009

Lets be honest, Sundays during the Chase end up being spent watching football.

Comment

• Golden Taters
        RIP West
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Rudi
        Damn, thats no good. Hopefully Keselowski winning it will help it get some exposure/more ratings since he's so big on Twitter. I think the series is in desperate need of some type of rivalry.

Oh, and I bet ratings would sky rocket if Dale Jr. starts winning more races..or if Danica Patrick raced full time and did well.
        Car of Tomorrow killed off viewers, that's why there is such a noticeable drop when NASCAR introduced the new race car. I even stopped watching the sport regularly until they got rid of the wing on the cars.

Next year should help with the new production-like cars.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
          War Hero
          • May 2012

All these boring ass 1.5 mile tracks have hurt NASCAR.

Comment

• Jayrock
            mini MJ
            • Apr 2012

Season is too long

Comment

• Youk
              Posts too much
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JimLeavy59
              All these boring ass 1.5 mile tracks have hurt NASCAR.
              It's true. A couple of them had success and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon. I hate watching Kansas, Kentucky, Chicagoland, California, etc.

More short tracks, road courses, odd sort of tracks. The fans want ACTION, that doesn't mean crashes. Close racing, several lines to drive.

Comment

• Price
                Lets Tessellate
                • Oct 2012

I wouldn't mind seeing the second Daytona race changed to the road course version.

Comment

• killgod
                  OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Youk
                  It's true. A couple of them had success and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon. I hate watching Kansas, Kentucky, Chicagoland, California, etc.

More short tracks, road courses, odd sort of tracks. The fans want ACTION, that doesn't mean crashes. Close racing, several lines to drive.
                  So just watch F1

Comment

Working...