• Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Vince pitched Vince vs Dana to Dana White for WrestleMania 27

Originally posted by Dave Meltzer
    It was Vince's idea for one half of a double main event of WrestleMania 27

Shocked he told the story.
    Originally posted by W2BTD
    dave, serious question, how does something like this go unreported? Not pulling a scole routine here, but isn't this why we pay you?
    I had to swear to keep that one a secret.

The best I could do was make sure everyone knew Brock vs. Taker was an angle, even though people thought I didn't know what I was talking about or making it up at the time.
  • JimLeavy59
    War Hero
    • May 2012

I'm sure Vince wanted Dana to do the job.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by JimLeavy59
      Originally posted by phoenixmatt
      So...

Who would have won?
      Dana

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

On Montreal TV tonight, when Dana White was being interviewed by former NHL player Denis Gauthier, Jr., Gauthier as a joke brought up the idea of him fighting Vince McMahon.

White, surprisingly, revealed that in fact Vince McMahon had wanted to do the match. White said that he respects Vince, and that Vince will probably freak out when he says this, but that Vince was too old, and he said Vince is not going to want to hear that.

White vs. Vince McMahon was Vince's idea for a main event at WrestleMania 27.

Unbeknownst to Dana White, the guy who interviewed him is the son of a Montreal pro wrestler, Denis Gauthier, and his wife, Joanne Rougeau (daughter of legendary Montreal wrestler Jacques Rougeau Sr., as sister of Raymond and Jacques Jr.), was the former local wrestling promoter for WWF at the same Bell Centre where tomorrow night's UFC is coming from.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
          War Hero
          • May 2012

There is money to be made between the UFC and WWE.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Obviously Vince wanted it a secret because he wanted to promote Taker vs. Brock as a shoot to wrestling fans, that's why he shot the angle at the UFC show and that's why he wanted Dana involved, with the idea he gives it legitimacy and it's no longer a pro wrestling angle.

No, Dana didn't consider it, actually for that very reason.

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by JimLeavy59
              "Celebrities" always win.

Federline over Cena for motherfucking sake.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                War Hero
                • May 2012

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                "Celebrities" always win.

Federline over Cena for motherfucking sake.
                I just feel Vince would want to go over the guy that is taking away his fans and PPV buys.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

People were asking if Ariel Helwani was in on it, since if you recall he was interviewing Undertaker when Taker challenged/called out/whatever Brock as Brock was leaving the cage.

People were also asking if The Rock would have been brought in had Dan agreed to the deal for the two UFC vs WWE matches:

Based on what I was told, and I reported this at the time, Ariel was not in on it.

They counted on the idea of people with camera phones filming it and it leaking out that way, or better, it becoming a "word of mouth" thing and get blown up even bigger that way. The whole idea of the original angle was something you weren't supposed to see but everyone would hear about. They actually didn't want it to look professional. It just so happened Ariel was there at the time

I can't say for a fact Rock's return would not have happened on the show. I very strongly suspect that is the case because of the deal it would have taken to make the first idea happen. If you consider where Brock was as a draw and how high flying Dana was and how bad WWE's PPVs were all when this was laid out, this was going to take considerable money to put together Would have made no sense to have Rock on that show same reason it would have made no sense to have Austin on last year's show.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                    • Feb 2009

Well that 'splains Taker-Brock. Not surprised by any of this. Missed it when you first posted it, Warner.

Comment

• Steel Mamba
                      Nasty
                      • Nov 2008

The ufc would be crazy to form any sort of relationship with the wwe.

Comment

Working...