X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ravin
    Dishing the Gino's
    • Feb 2009

WORM BURNER: Ravin's Golf Tracking Thread

I'm going to run this like a chise, but basically just posting my golf scores from the courses I'm going to play here in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Didn't get a membership this season because I wanted to play as much golf at different courses as possible. I'll post pictures of the courses as well, as some of them are weird here with sandy greens.

I typically shoot around 95, but I haven't played steady golf in years. Money was always an issue, and with other stuff going on I was lucky to be getting out once a month for the past few seasons. But now being out here I hope to be golfing a bunch and get my game under control and my scores under 90 on a consistent basis.
    All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.
  • Ravin
    Dishing the Gino's
    • Feb 2009

My Clubs

I currently have a left handed set of Adam's Golf Tight Lies clubs. For years I had a old set with a bunch of clubs mixed together, so when I decided to buy a new set, this one stood out. I was originally going to buy the Taylor Made Burners, but after talking with a golf pro, he basically told me that this set will match the Burners considering how much golf I was playing. I wouldn't really know the difference. Plus the Burner Iron's were about $150 more, and I would have still needed a bag, driver and woods.

The set includes:

Driver (I broke this, using a store bought one, but I hardly use it)
    Woods: 3, 5
    Hybris: 3, 4
    Irons: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
    Wedges: P, S, L
    Putter

I have never used the putter that came with the set. I actually use a $19.99 putter I bought at Canadian Tire when my original putter broke (don't ask me how, to many putter throws). It's a slim head rather than a fat one, and I prefer them to the bigger ones. I'm probably one of the best putters among my friends, so it never really hurt me at all.

Other golf equipment I, well don't use. I don't have golf shoe's, I just use runners. I'll probably get some at some point, but don't see a huge point in them right now. I don't use any specific golf tee. I probably have about 5 in my bag total mostly because I just pick one up off the tee box since I use my 3 wood to tee off most of the time, I keep it teed up low, so a broken tee works great. As for balls, I bought a bunch of different ones, and use anything from top flight to taylor made to Nike. Basically whatever I grab from the bag. I also don't use a glove either. That should round out all my equipment.
    Last edited by Ravin; 05-21-2013, 09:57 PM.
    All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• Ravin
      Dishing the Gino's
      • Feb 2009

Sandy Beach Regional Park and Golf Course
      Lloydminster, Sask

Tee box on hole 1

Scorecard

Hole 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Total
      Par 4 4 3 5 4 4 4 4 4 35
      Yards 365 393 159 200 497 381 259 362 368 2984
      Score 5 6 4 5 6 5 5 6 6 48
      My first round in western Canada, and I at least kept it under 50. Now, there is something you need to know about this course. The green's are sand greens, and they are at least half the size of a normal green you would see. And it isn't sand like you would find in a bunker, it is hard sand. Think of it like bouncing a ball of cement, that is basically what it is like. Now because it is sand green's, you really can't stick it on the green, you need to roll it up, and putting is a huge pain because each hole the sand could be different. Could be a little heavy or light, and really hurts the ball speed. You don't read the green, you read the sand quality and see what the texture is like.

Sandy Beach is a 9-hole course off a camp ground, and despite that, it actually is a fairly nice little course. Sure the sand green's are terrible if you are use to real grass, but the fairways and the layout were nice. It is a great course to work out your iron's, and learn some bump and run play. I normally bump and run with my 7-iron near the green, so this made it a little easy. But basically every hole you almost gave up a stroke having to chip on or that one extra putt. I left a lot of putts short. I'm sure if I played it again I could shave off at least 5 strokes.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• Jayrock
        mini MJ
        • Apr 2012

Great idea. I'd like to start something like this.

Eliminate doubles or higher.. grab a few pars. Easiest way to improve your game.

Currently at a 12 handicap or so... hoping to get it down to 8 for my city tournament later this year.

Why don't you use a driver?

Comment

• Ravin
          Dishing the Gino's
          • Feb 2009

My original driver that came with my set I broke. It was a solid shaft, and I actually never really got to use it that much. I want to get it fixed because I think now I could control it more. The driver I got is this flex shaft and I have a wicked slice, so it just sends my ball crazy left when I hit it some times.

Oddly enough, I can hit my 3 wood just as far as I can with that flex driver, but I get so much more control with my wood. Lats round I played (haven't posted it yet) I hit basically every fairway because of the control I have with it with my slice.

When I play I normally try and aim to play boggy golf. Normally means I am trying to break 90 in order to break "my par for the course". The way I am playing so far though, I think I'll be challenging high 80's every round. Once I get some more rounds under my belt I'll do a handicap.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• Jayrock
            mini MJ
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Ravin
            My original driver that came with my set I broke. It was a solid shaft, and I actually never really got to use it that much. I want to get it fixed because I think now I could control it more. The driver I got is this flex shaft and I have a wicked slice, so it just sends my ball crazy left when I hit it some times.

Oddly enough, I can hit my 3 wood just as far as I can with that flex driver, but I get so much more control with my wood. Lats round I played (haven't posted it yet) I hit basically every fairway because of the control I have with it with my slice.

When I play I normally try and aim to play boggy golf. Normally means I am trying to break 90 in order to break "my par for the course". The way I am playing so far though, I think I'll be challenging high 80's every round. Once I get some more rounds under my belt I'll do a handicap.
            Understandable. I used to be the same way. Nasty slice off the tee. This summer something clicked for me though. I've been hitting something like 60% of fairways and averaging just under 300 yards per drive. I've never driven the ball as well as I have these past two months or so. Problem is my short game can be brutal at times. Seems like every round I'll hit at least one par 5 green in two, and still choke out a three putt par. If I can get my game from <100 yards dialed in I'll cut a few strokes out. I also get frustrated and let it ruin my round too easily.

I hate golf so much.

This is a cool idea for a thread though.

Also I'd recommend NG360 from Nike. There's an app you can download for your phone where you can track rounds. Easier to track GIR and fairways as well.

Comment

• Ravin
              Dishing the Gino's
              • Feb 2009

I have no idea what I hit my driver or 3 wood off the tee. I need to go to the range and see what I'm hitting. Or I need to get a golf gps on my phone and test it out and see what the distance is. I have to figure I am hitting my 3 hybrid about 200yrds. I normally go 5 iron from 150 out, and even now I'm going to a 6 for that.

My short game has always been my money play. I can chip really well and I can putt. Putting has always been my strong point. When we had golf tournaments, the joke was I was only there to chip and putt. I three putt maybe once a round, but most of the time I am spot on.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

Working...