X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

The Language Barrier in Wrestling.

Who here is affected by the Language Barrier in wrestling?

We got some pretty well versed guys and a few casual fans here...I know Fed and Warner can't pronounce half of the foreigners names and events to save their lives...but, they seem to understand, whats going on, the story of the programs.

I can pretty much understand what is going on in wrestling regardless of the language barrier...the "language" of wrestling, after you've watched enough wrestling (which everyone here has seen enough)...its pretty easy to understand...its kind of a universal language.

But, as we all know, a lot of people are turned off by stuff in Japan, in Mexico...most of which is readily available to watch weekly and their PPVs...because of the language barrier.

So...as inspired by the recent podcast...

Are you affected by the language barrier?

If you aren't...help dissect the language barrier in wrestling for those that aren't well versed enough.

GO.
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

I can't get into lucha. I'll watch some of it if I'm flipping and it's on, but it's so wacky. I understand the whole rudos/technicos (2/3 falls, a rudo ref) stuff, but the style is just not my cup of tea. (plus it sounds like the announcers never take a breath)

Japan's simpler to follow and like you mentioned, you know pretty much the gist of what's going on based on facial reactions, the intensity of the PBP guy (AHHHHHHHHHH!) and stuff like that.

Comment

• SuperKevin
      War Hero
      • Dec 2009

Honestly I used to be. I was always so distracted by the announcers speaking in a foreign language that I couldn't get into the match. Then I started watching it without sound and honestly it's the best stuff I have seen.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

I'm finishing up the podcast now...and...

Warner.

Its not King FAIL. Its King Fah-lay.
        Last edited by LiquidLarry2GhostWF; 06-19-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

And I fully expected this thread to be another opportunity to knock Sin Cara...

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
            And I fully expected this thread to be another opportunity to knock Sin Cara...
            Real talk.

I'm surprised they haven't cut Mistico (who surely makes a lot of money) and just put some random cheap-o lucha under the mask as a jobber.

There would be no difference.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              I'm finishing up the podcast now...and...

Fed and Warner.

Its not King FAIL. Its King Fah-lay.
              I say Fahlay. Might have dropped a FAIL in there out of habit because I used to call him King FAIL as a meme because he sucks.

Anyway, if you watch enough Japanese wrestling, you realize the language is not the barrier you think it is. You don't even hear it after a while. And a lot of people prefer the Japanese commentary and don't want New Japan to add english because they feel like it would change the atmosphere. I kinda feel the same way. I don't need english commentary to enjoy it, and if it's bad commentary (which it probably will be) it will only take away from it.

Lucha commentary does annoy me. I don't know why or what the difference is. Plus for the most part I kinda think lucha sucks anyway, so that doesn't help.

Comment

• SuperKevin
                War Hero
                • Dec 2009

Lucha has a very circus feel to me. That's the only way I can really describe it

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

The commentary...here is the thing for me...

For Japan, to me, its all about the cadence of their voice. As long as you just go with the ebb and flow of their voice, you should be good. They pop for what they are supposed to pop for...they get into more analysis and mundane commentary when they are supposed to. Also vital...they shut the fuck up when they are supposed to shut up and just let the stuff going on in the ring speak for itself.

Japan is much better than even American commentary...because you always have the likes of Michael Cole and The King and Taz talking dumb shit when they shouldn't.

Mexico...they are always UP...they are always popping, they are always going bonkers. The entrance...their up...and because its Lucha, the action always has the commentary on the up swing and on the nuts of the near falls.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    Highwayman
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SuperKevin
                    Lucha has a very circus feel to me. That's the only way I can really describe it
                    I've never been, but anyone that's worked those arenas for CMLL and AAA...they are a wild experience.

Just watching...the crowd goes HAM a lot...they bring the vuvuzelas, they are always chanting some great shit...its like going to a bizarro international soccer game.

The Japs...a lot of the crowd just chills out and watches. But the Mexicans...bonkers.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                      • Feb 2009

I cant even watch WWE because I hate Jim Ross twang let alone some sushi chef or federale.
                      If its not some combination of Gorilla Monsoon , Bobby Heenan , Vince McMahon , Jesse Ventura , Lawler I cant bare it.
                      Are there any more stellar voices ??
                      Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• XavierDZ
                        Noob
                        • Apr 2013

I like the lucha style added to Amrican and Japanese styles, but not super into the pure luchadors. Japanese is easier since they work similar to American guys.

I think the only reason I'd watch CMLL is for the environment, it's like a soccer game, they are so loud and into it. Also with facial expressions, they usually sell with yells and hand gestures. Working with others, when you don't speak the same language is tough, living near El Paso means working with guys who only speak Spanish. Sometimes putting everything together is like playing charades, or having someone who is bilingual help you out.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                          Giants in the Super Bowl
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by XavierDZ
                          Working with others, when you don't speak the same language is tough, living near El Paso means working with guys who only speak Spanish. Sometimes putting everything together is like playing charades, or having someone who is bilingual help you out.
                          lol

Always figured it was a bitch to put something together when the guys don't speak the language. Just assumed it was a loose idea for a finish and doing it on the fly as best as possible.

Comment

• BigBiss
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                            I cant even watch WWE because I hate Jim Ross twang let alone some sushi chef or federale.
                            If its not some combination of Gorilla Monsoon , Bobby Heenan , Vince McMahon , Jesse Ventura , Lawler I cant bare it.
                            Are there any more stellar voices ??
                            hey hows it going

Comment

• SuperKevin
                              War Hero
                              • Dec 2009

Biss, I'm going to meet ACH this weekend. Want me to relay a message?

Comment

Working...