Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PP
    • Feb 2010

ESPN Article on Fighting in hockey

One of the best articles ESPN has written imo.
  • leaffan
    Colton Orr Fan
    • Feb 2009

Staged fights are probably going to be on the way out soon as they are becoming more and more annoying and useless as the NHL evolves. A few coaches (Ted Nolan is the first name that pops into my head) is actively encouraging players like John Scott to not just fight off the draw anymore.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

He's right though, the NHL doesn't want it gone, but they desperately have to present that face for fans and sponsors that they do want it gone, or at least curtailed to the extreme.

Comment

• Ravin
        Dishing the Gino's
        • Feb 2009

Great read on a lot of aspects. The part where Scott I believe asked him if you want to go, and he said 'not really' but did it anyway because he knew Scott had to at that point is kind of a point that many people will miss about fighting. I know the day will come in the NHL when it is gone, probably within the next 10 years or so, because eventually politics will win out.

I swing on the fence of fighting in or out of the game, and not at all because of the concussion issue everyone barks about, but rather because I think eventually the game is going to become to skilled for them. If you look at some teams already, they don't have those goons anymore who just fight, while some do. Detroit, Chicago, San Jose, Pittsburgh, don't drop the gloves all that much. I believe eventually it will be tough guys who can score and mix it up when they have to and contribute to the team, and then eventually, it will just go away. The game will just get to smart for fighters, and carrying those 4th liners on your bench and have them sit there to put out for like 4-5mins a game will be worthless.
        All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• killgod
          OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
          • Oct 2008

"It's a choice I make," he says.
          That's all there is to it. Tired of armchair assholes making decisions for these guys.

Comment

Working...