Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Kuznetsov officially signing with Capitals

It's been years of "will they, won't they," but the Washington Capitals announced the club has finally signed top prospect Evgeny Kuznetsov to an entry-level contract Saturday. The 21-year-old forward has been lighting it up in the KHL since he was selected 26th overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

It's been a dramatic roller coaster over the last four years, but the highly-anticipated arrival of Kuznetsov is near. He will join the Capitals soon and wear No. 92.

Injuries derailed his season this year with Chelyabinsk, his hometown team, and contributed to Kuznetsov missing the cut for the Olympic team. It was long rumored that Kuznetsov wouldn't come to the Caps until after the 2014 Olympics to ensure he would make the Russian team. After he did not, it seemed his NHL arrival was inevitable.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound center posted 146 points in 210 games with Chelyabinsk, including 21 in 31 games this season. In order to join the Caps, Kuznetsov's contract with Traktor had to be terminated, which it reportedly was earlier this week.

Kuznetsov has been dynamic on the international stage. He was the MVP of the 2012 IIHF World Junior Championship after posting 13 points in six games and helped Russia win WJC gold in 2011.

The song and dance with Kuznetsov has been fuel to the fire about the risk in drafting Russian players, but this prospect has the kind of skill that's worth waiting for.

And it has been a rather long wait for Capitals fans. While Kuznetsov may not be the savior for their season, he will be a breath of fresh air and just having him in the lineup will make a lot of folks in D.C. breathe a sigh of relief, including general manager George McPhee.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...geny-kuznetsov

For you guys who are more in the know than I am, what are your expectations for Kuznetsov and how well will he transition to the NHL game? I'm not expecting a huge difference maker this year, but more looking for the future. It's a big deal to even get him to come over right now.
  • Slateman
    • Apr 2009

Yea, he's going to play tonight on the 4th line. So he'll get a whopping 5 minutes of playing time.
    The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
    As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
    If only I had died instead of you
    O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Slateman
      • Apr 2009

Ice team already increasing. Had a nice look but couldn't put it in the net. I expect him to be the second line winger by the end of the season.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Fleury robbed him of that goal. Nice to see they are moving him around, seeing where he fits best.

Comment

• leaffan
          Colton Orr Fan
          • Feb 2009

Sort of watched him while in a half coma last night. Fluery robbed him on the skate stop play and I really didn't see him doing much else. Seems like another lazy winger though.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• Slateman
            • Apr 2009

Kuznetsov got his first point on a fantastiic assist to Tom Wilson

That right there is what you need from him. Wilson hasn't scored a point in ten games and Kuny sets him up beautifully. Caps have needed scoring from the other lines for a while. With Kuznetsov and Wilson on a line and Fehr and Ward on another, the Caps can score without Backstrom and Ovi on the ice.

Now, if we can just find a couple blue liners.

Comment

• Slateman
              • Apr 2009

And again.

Comment

• leaffan
                Colton Orr Fan
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slateman
                And again.
                3 assists now I think. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to watch the leaf caps game on Sunday but if I do I'll watch out for him again.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Slateman
                  Kuznetsov got his first point on a fantastiic assist to Tom Wilson

That right there is what you need from him. Wilson hasn't scored a point in ten games and Kuny sets him up beautifully. Caps have needed scoring from the other lines for a while. With Kuznetsov and Wilson on a line and Fehr and Ward on another, the Caps can score without Backstrom and Ovi on the ice.

Now, if we can just find a couple blue liners.
                  That's exactly what we need, someone to make things happen outside of the first line.

Blueline will be an issue, as will toughness, but that's been missing from our team under GMGM so I am not hopeful we improve that this off-season. I would really like a stay-at-home defenseman in the mold of Regehr.

Comment

• Slateman
                    • Apr 2009

More goodness from the Golden Boy.

I hate to say it, but I think the Caps have to amnesty Green. He just isn't good enough on either end.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                      • Sep 2024

I could live with Green's defensive mis-haps when he was scoring almost a point per game. I will also give him credit, as he's known from day one that his weakness is in his own end, and he has worked to improve it.

But, he's had a hard-time the past few seasons staying healthy, and I think he's tried to improve his defense so much that he's afraid to play like he used to and join the rush consistently. I have a feeling that he will break out of this slump on a new team, one that will let him play to that strength, but it's clear he and the Capitals need to move on.

Comment

• Slateman
                        • Apr 2009

New guy is impressing

Comment

• Slateman
                          • Apr 2009

First goal to tie it up with less than a minute to play in regulation.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                            • Sep 2024

Mike Green continues to be awful, terrible effort put forth tonight all around. Stars are getting hot though.

Comment

• Slateman
                              • Apr 2009

Starting on the 4th line

Comment

Working...